European Commission

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.8

Bluebook Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

I applied on August 2012. I received an acceptance email on December. I sent many emails to Heads of Unit, Officers and Directors. Many of them answered me. Also a director answered me telling me that I forwarded my email to the HR. Then, on February I received an offer and I accepted it. I started on 1st March 2013.

Civil Servant Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

The selection process is bureaucratic. You have to fill in heaps of forms. You are invited to test several times. The questions they ask are stupid and only factual information is asked. Hardly any analytical competence is asked or required. Apparently now there is some sort of assessment centre approach. However, you still have to do heaps of "stupid" test series before arriving at this stage!

Interview Questions
    • Is there free mobility of means of transport between European Member States?   View Answer

Interpreter Interview

At the time there was a two-tier robust selection process: 1st a tough Aptitude test followed by a 6-month internship with eliminatory tests every 2 months; then, an open competition, with tests on knowledge of European integration and practical skills in conference interpretation. Good, solid, demanding and effective.

Blue Book Trainee Interview

The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

It took half a year or more for an application process. I applied in January for a winter stage. In summer only I got a first call from one unit clarifying my education and skills, It seemed I didn't fit their profile. And in a month or so I got another call from a different unit just saying that they congratulate me, because I got the position in their unit and they are looking forward to meetme. It was very nice experience.

Trainee Interview

I was made an offer through the online system in July, so no interview took place for me. Some other people I know received phone calls for informal interviews. I heard that they ask some general questions about their backgrounds and talk about the tasks they are expected to fulfil.

Administrator - Policy Officer Interview

The hiring process is an official competition, described on the European Commission recruitment website (EPSO). It usually involves replying to multiple choice questions (MCQ), writing an essay in one specific area (e.g. law, economics, audit, environment, etc), and then going through an oral interview. There are competitions every year in several areas. Only people having one of the nationality of one of the EU Member Sates can apply.

Interview Questions
    • There several types of competition (legal, general, economics, audit, etc) so questions depend on the topic   Answer Question
    No negotiation: fix salary

Scientific Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

Interview after written exam

None

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

Submitting an online application form. When I managed to pass the selection phase, I had an interview with the Head of Unit via phone. It was a short conversation about my prior experience.

Since it was an intern position, no negotiation took place. I accepted the offer right away.

EU Consultant Interview

Contacts are very important to get hired here. Strong networking skills will sometimes open up doors which you have never expected. Once you are in the system it is very easy to move around. Strong knowledge of EU functioning is expected

IT Officer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

Hiring process is a tragedy, called "EPSO competitions, aka Selection Process" a euphemism for blind chance, luck, lottery and the process of elimination. That has nothing to do with one's skills, experiences, merits or talents. It's pure luck only.
    If one is fortunate to get on a "list", than that is the way to go.

The real "hiring" is done at the interview level.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall any unexpected or specifically difficult interview question.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation. Take it or leave it.