European Commission

Updated Feb 1, 2015
Updated Feb 1, 2015

2.7

Bluebook Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

I applied on August 2012. I received an acceptance email on December. I sent many emails to Heads of Unit, Officers and Directors. Many of them answered me. Also a director answered me telling me that I forwarded my email to the HR. Then, on February I received an offer and I accepted it. I started on 1st March 2013.

Civil Servant Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

The selection process is bureaucratic. You have to fill in heaps of forms. You are invited to test several times. The questions they ask are stupid and only factual information is asked. Hardly any analytical competence is asked or required. Apparently now there is some sort of assessment centre approach. However, you still have to do heaps of "stupid" test series before arriving at this stage!

Interview Questions
    • Is there free mobility of means of transport between European Member States?   View Answer

Scientific Project Officer Traineeship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

First, an online application with cover letter and resume. At least one month after the application deadline, you receive an email telling you if you have been selected or not. If you are selected you receive an invitation with the date for an interview. This takes place one month later more or less. The interview takes around 4 hours if you are together with other canddidates.
    First there is an introduction by an HR employee. Afterwards each candidate will have make his interview and give a presentation about a topic of his own research. Besides the interview, you are given information about the position and given a tour of the facilities. Around two to three weeks later, you receive another email to tell you if you have been selected.

Stagiaire DG Comp Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at European Commission.

The University forwarded my CV and motivation letter. I was contacted after a couple of days and was offered a phone interview. At the proposed date and time, I was phoned by three public official and two of them explained the job they were doing and asked me about my motivation and my previous experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Why does the Commission apply merger control procedures, since some M&A operations are beneficial to the market?   Answer Question
    The dates were defined via e-mail

Scientific Project Officer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

To be hired as an official I had to pass a formal competition which lasted from the Fall of 2002 (when the call was published) until May 2004 (when the list of accepted candidates was published). Once in the list of candidates I wrote to the EC Units closest to my interests to see if they had an opening. One Unit replied and arranged for a telephone interview as a result of which I was called in for two face to face interviews with two sister Units. I received offers from both Units. After I made my choice I was hired to start two months later. After nine months of probation I was finally hired in my current permanent position.

Interview Questions
    • Those interviewing me wanted to make sure my expectations were realistic with respect to the demands of a very hierarchical, complex and slow moving organization. So there was no difficulty in the content of the questions as much as in choosing the right words to convince them that my expectation were realistic.   Answer Question
    There was no space for negotiation whatsoever.

Interpreter Interview

At the time there was a two-tier robust selection process: 1st a tough Aptitude test followed by a 6-month internship with eliminatory tests every 2 months; then, an open competition, with tests on knowledge of European integration and practical skills in conference interpretation. Good, solid, demanding and effective.

Blue Book Trainee Interview

The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

It took half a year or more for an application process. I applied in January for a winter stage. In summer only I got a first call from one unit clarifying my education and skills, It seemed I didn't fit their profile. And in a month or so I got another call from a different unit just saying that they congratulate me, because I got the position in their unit and they are looking forward to meetme. It was very nice experience.

Trainee Interview

I was made an offer through the online system in July, so no interview took place for me. Some other people I know received phone calls for informal interviews. I heard that they ask some general questions about their backgrounds and talk about the tasks they are expected to fulfil.

Administrator - Policy Officer Interview

The hiring process is an official competition, described on the European Commission recruitment website (EPSO). It usually involves replying to multiple choice questions (MCQ), writing an essay in one specific area (e.g. law, economics, audit, environment, etc), and then going through an oral interview. There are competitions every year in several areas. Only people having one of the nationality of one of the EU Member Sates can apply.

Interview Questions
    • There several types of competition (legal, general, economics, audit, etc) so questions depend on the topic   Answer Question
    No negotiation: fix salary

Scientific Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at European Commission.

Interview after written exam