European Parliament Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at European Parliament (Brussels (Belgium)) in June 2015.

Interview

After an extensive online application, I was contacted to have an informal short telephone interview of about ten to fifteen minutes. Five members of the office called me, each asking one question. The questions were rather easy, but the difficulty was to give good answers in this very short amount of time. My recommendation is to prepare very well what you want to answer. Find the right balance with not too much, but also not too less or unnecessary/vague information. Customize your answers, for example regarding the question on your biography/interests in the EU, clearly to the position as Robert-Schuman-Trainee.

Interview Questions

• Describe your biography and interests. What is the role of the European Parliament within the European Union? Why are you particularly interested in this position? What skills would you bring for this position?   Answer Question

Assistant MEP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at European Parliament (Brussels (Belgium)) in April 2014.

Interview

I sent my cold application (CV and cover letter) to all the parliamentarians whose work was of interest to me but what got me the job in the end was a contact that I had with an assistant who already worked in the office. I think that if you want to work in the parliament your best chance is to network with people already there and jump on a potential opening

Interview Questions

• how do your political beliefs fit our office's pursued policies and party lines?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about our office's recent projects   Answer Question

Negotiation

look up the resources that MEP offices have (it is all on the web) and how many assistants your MEP had in the past

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at European Parliament (Brussels (Belgium)).

Interview

Emailing MEPs was the most helpful way to get a foot in the door. MEP assistants reply to individual emails. Questions during interview were very basic - mostly about past experiences and qualitative experience.

Parliamentary Assistant, European Parliament Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at European Parliament (Brussels (Belgium)) in October 2013.

Interview

A short referral and interview process, in office meeting with employer (MEP) and assistant I was to replace. An offer and a negotiation process followed afterwards. Not too many job related interview questions. More general personality testing type interview - sounding out opinions on variety of issues.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at European Parliament (Brussels (Belgium)) in August 2013.

Interview

You have to first you must identify when the interns are being hired normally they are hired from 2 to 4 months so you must pay attention to the adds in the oficial PE website. It would even better if you apply through a network connection. Personally I identified when they where hiring and previously I set a network on which to increase my odds and when I got the interview it was eisy sailing. the hardest par is getting in contact and taken out of the paper pile.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult thing in getting an internship in the European Parliament is the tremendous competition there is. People know 2 to 5 languages normally they are already studying a masters degree or doctorate its restless people so you have to stand out in this time of environment. My suggestions is getting prior experience and network or it will be impossible.   Answer Question

Translation Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at European Parliament (Luxembourg (Luxembourg)) in April 2013.

Interview

You have to fill in a form and write a cover letter in your native language in which you also explain why would you like to have an opportunity to work in this institution. Afterwards you will have to wait for any feedback (positive or negative).

Trainee Interview

Interview

No interview, just submitting the application form, and then, after being accepted sending the documents that have been requested.

Assistant Interview

Interview

Resume submission, phone interview, then in-person interview. All in all, about 3 weeks.

Public Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at European Parliament (Brussels (Belgium)) in October 2010.

Interview

Getting on a reserve list is not everything one needs to achieve to get a job with the EU Institutions. Getting singled out off one of those lists may be just as titanic a task. The interview was a series of open-questions and behavioral-style ones in order to understand the ability to fully and swiftly integrate in a team. One is really supposed to get into the groove quite rapidly, if offered a position.

Interview Questions

• To give an example of a time when decisions needed to be taken by considering all of the very diverse sensibilities that can be found in a House.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Everything is very clear from the get-go, there are salary grids and there is no way to get out of those.