Evernote Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Evernote.

Interview

Thirty minute initial phone screen by mid level manager. Enthusiastic and engaged, but indicated that she was optimistic that I would get the job and "felt really good about it" - always a faux pas and professionally risky. Skype chat test and phone interview with senior manager scheduled for following week. Senior manager was 90 minutes late to the phone interview, and employees were unable to track down citing "stuck in a meeting". Interview questions were the same exact questions as the phone screen, which raised my eyebrow. Skype chat was quick and simple mock customer interaction. I was told to call Thursday afternoon if I didn't hear from the mid level manager as she sometimes "misses things". Called the mid level manager Thursday afternoon. She said that she had not heard about my interview since it was conducted and hadn't received any directives and ended the conversation abruptly. I received an automatic No Reply email the next morning stating I had been turned down. I understand that I may not have been a fit. That's totally fair. I was more disappointed in the lack of communication and professionalism displayed in the final interview process. Being exorbitantly late to interview a candidate is both indicative of how the position is looked on by the rest of the company, as well as how the employees are managed. Same applies to being dismissive of your mid level managers. It's too bad, because I'm a huge fan and power user of the product and they knew that, but were extremely dismissive anyway. If a candidate makes it that far in the process and you've made a major faux pas in the process, they deserve a phone call - not to be rushed off the phone and shut down by an automated email.

Interview Questions

• Why customer service? How do you see yourself growing in this department?   Answer Question
    • How many hours a week did you work CS in your last position?   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Evernote (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Hiring person was really nice. Called me as non tech interview and things went well. Then the QA dept head calls me and asks me a little tech interview and I feel things are going way better than planned. Next step was in person interview. X people interviewed me. Mostly Indian women in their 40s. Got to see the QA manager and felt good since our phone call was great. I ask the qa manager what does she expect in this role and she literally repeats what I said 5 minutes ago. And then I felt I was on cloud 9 since everything was awesome. Interviews went well though one interviewer did ask a coding question fairly simple like from java101. Hiring person emails me the next day that she wants to call me and I feel that its good news but it turned out she wanted to inform me sooner than to keep on waiting. She told me unfortunately you did not get selected for the role and Im shocked on the other side of the phone. So I dont ask her why and just said thanks for the opportunity. This I feel is complete BS. One tip dont get your hopes high. Even when everything looks great. I feel the QA department is messed up and I was very well qualified.

Senior Software Engineer (IOS) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Evernote (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I wrote to recruiter on LinkedIn. She replied me on next day, we had call (30 mins), just general interview (experience, position, visa status, salary). She was very polite. On next day she wrote me and asked to provide 3 days and times when I can make technical phone interview with developer. In few days I had this interview. It took 30-40 mins and was very easy, just general questions about current projects, role, team size. He also asked few general technical questions (auto layout, core animation). Finally he told me that everything good, and hiring manager will send me instructions about next steps. However in few days I received "access denied" - hiring manager wrote that I am good engineer but I won't have next step. I was really disappointed, so I replied her with question "Why?" and never got answer back. So I still have no idea why I was rejected and it's killing me.

Interview Questions

• General questions, nothing specific (auto layout, core animation, info about current project and role).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Evernote in March 2015.

Interview

I had a coding challenge, a phone screening with the recruiter, and 2 phone technical interviews with a software engineer and the engineering manager. The overall process was great. The recruiter was very welcoming and informative.

Interview Questions

• General data structure/algorithm questions (linked list, hashtable, recursion)   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Evernote (Lebanon, NH) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on line, and the recruiter contacted me the next day. Then she asked me to do a simple QA test. After I submitted my answer, the recruiter called me and talked about my background and Evernote. And she arranged me an interview with the QA manager. This is my first job interview, but it did not go well, the phone line was not clear and I was quite nervous, but the QA manager was very patient. The QA manager tried her best to let me prove I was qualified for this position, but I failed. Judging by my poor performance, even I would not give myself an offer. So the whole interview process ended. The recruiter and the QA manager are really nice. Although it did not end well, it gives me a great experience about job interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions are mostly based on your resume, and they are pretty simply actually.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Evernote in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and the recruiter contacted me to sent up a phone screen. Talked about past projects and internships and was very nice about the entire process and very excited. Gave me a coding interview problem that has been listed here many times (Go through a list of strings and return the top N). Afterwards I was scheduled with a phone interview with an upper level employee. It was coding based and I can say that it was absolutely the worst technical interview I've ever had. The employee was non-responsive for the most part, offered no help to work through a solution, was very much demeaning as well as gave an overall bad impression of the company. I asked initially about company organization and the interviewer told me coldly he wasn't aware. After struggling through understanding his question on the interview problem, he questioned my knowledge of the subject matter at hand and then told me an answer that I had given him before five minutes ago. Yet because of the non-responsiveness of the interviewer, every question I asked him was treated as completely blank. Overall I thought Evernote was a great company to work for, but that surely wasn't the case when dealt with someone from upper management. The recruiter was very very nice, but the only technical employee I received gave me a terrible impression.

Interview Questions

• Array vs LinkedList. Throwing an exception. Creating an list class.   Answer Question

Quant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Evernote (Cambridge, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I got the interview after I applied on the school career center. The interviewer introduced me to how the company is working. First go through some resume question and past experience. then technical question. Then I asked questions about how the company. This is the first round interview, and I am still working on the second round of recruiting. After the interview they are going to decide whether to give us opportunity to the exam.

Interview Questions

• There are 100 doors in a row in the hall way. All closed.The first person goes to change status of all doors. The second person goes to change status of every second door(2,4,6,8,...). The third person goes to change the status of every third door(3,6,......). ....There are 100 people doing this in a row. How many door s are closed in the end after all this?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Evernote.

Interview

There were about 5 rounds. 3 of those rounds were behavioral calls from different people. The other two were technical. But in order to get those interviews, I had to first complete a coding challenge within a week. Once I passed all of those tests and interviews, I was given an internship offer over the phone and shortly after via email after a month long process.

Interview Questions

• The coding challenge was fairly difficult. It was to return the word with the highest count from a given text in O(n).   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Evernote (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

*Had a phone interview with the team lead. Usual questions about projects and deadline management etc. He seemed to be a nice and straightforward person. Next got invited for onsite. *First interviewer same as the phone interviewer. Had a detailed discussion and meeting with him. It was a good interview. I really enjoyed interviewing. *Second interviewer, a dev. He asked generic questions, I felt like he was clueless since wanted to ask technical questions. He literally said he has no questions. Not sure why they invite such people. *A woman - director level. Literally stormed into the room and had no small talk. Slammed her macbook on the desk and asked me, "Why Evernote"? "Why TPM"? Probably the worst interviewer and person I have met in my life. She was staring at me the whole time. I knew she did not want to give me the job and since she is the director she will have a huge say in hiring process. Asked usual questions, and left without saying thank you or anything. *2 more interviewers came and just talked. I felt like they had made up their mind based on the the feedback from the lady. Except for the first person all other interviewers were useless and had no constructive talk. Anyway, I came back read Evernote's work culture review on Glassdoor and lost interest in working at Evernote. The interview with the woman director reinforced my belief that it is terrible place to work with nepotism and tyranny.

Interview Questions

• Design data warehouse. It was really easy. Most questions were behavioral.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Evernote in November 2014.

Interview

I had applied the year prior through my school's recruiting platform, and done a coding challenge and a phone screen during the cycle before. So I was already in the system this year and got a call with the recruiter after emailing the recruiter I had worked with the previous year. Then, I was able to skip straight to the Skype phone interview where I was asked some algorithmic questions. The feedback was good and we set up a second Skype screen a week later. I had seen the question they asked me before and it went really well. The next day, the recruiter called me in the morning and congratulated me on moving on to the final round where I could choose to come on-site and speak with one of the technical leads or take a phone call. I've never been to their Redwood office, so I decided to come on site and check out the office.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers, return an array where each number is the product of all the other numbers in the array at any given index.   1 Answer

My top choices was a healthtech venture that was more aligned with my interests.