Evernote Interview Questions in Redwood City, CA

3.3

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Prefer Not to Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Evernote.

Wow, upon listening to the job description, it became evident that this company has no idea how to structure their organization! The person to whom I was to report had no business being at his level, and in fact, the job title was really just made up - he had no idea what he was supposed to be doing in his position! That job simply doesn't exist in real organizations. Clearly, they just create job titles on a whim to cater to certain individuals.

I had my reservations, reading through the Glassdoor reviews, and it seems that they are on-point. Unless you are in desperate need of a job, I would steer clear of this place.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question? "I've never done this job before, so I need you to help me figure out how to do it, OK?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Android Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Evernote in July 2014.

After I applied online, I was contacted by one of the recruiters via email. The first stage of the hiring process was the Evernote coding challenge. Basically, the recruiter sent me a problem specification, and I had to submit Java codes. After that went well, I had a Skype interview with a software engineer. The interview lasted about 45 minutes, and I was instructed to write Java codes on collabedit.com. The difficulty level of the questions was not on a par with those of the on-site interview questions.

My on-site interview began at 12:30pm. The recruiter greeted me and gave me a tour of the building. Then I was led to a conference room where I had my first interview with a product manager. She proceeded to ask me behavioral questions such as "Why do you want to work at Evernote?", "Tell me about a project you worked on recently." That went on for about an hour, and then I had a streak of 4 technical interviews back-to-back (I think each interview lasted about an hour.) By the time the 4th interviewer came into the conference room, my brain was exhausted and entered "nope, I'm done" mode. Given that I did horribly during the 3rd interview, I would have not received an offer even if my brain remained energized during the whole interview process. However, I feel like I could have done better on the 4th interview question if it were the first problem I had to solve that day. At other on-site interviews, either I was asked if I needed a break at the beginning of each interview session, or they placed behavioral-question interview session between technical-question interview sessions so that the problem-solving part of my brain could cool down for a bit while answering behavioral questions. One of the interviewers walked me down to a fridge to get me a bottle of sparkling water, but other than that, I was offered no time for break. Maybe it's one of the traits they look for in prospective employees: being able to brainstorm for a long period of time without taking a break. Certainly I wasn't the right candidate for it.

Some of the common interview questions:
    - Given two binary tree nodes, find the nearest common ancestor.
    - Design a class that represents a deck of cards. (Don't worry about jokers.)
    - Hanoi tower

Overall, it was a positive interview experience even though I did not receive an offer. Everyone I met in the building was very nice and friendly, and the office environment looked modern and stylish with lots of free stuffs (I also heard they have great perks.) There were many young people, so it definitely looked like a great place to work for new university grads. Best of wishes to those who seek career opportunities here.

Interview Questions
    • Write codes that print abbreviate XML tags to stdout. For example, given the input "<div>hello<span></span></div>", your code should print out "<div>hello<span/></div>". You need to write codes for only of these three given functions: tagStart(), tagText(), tagEnd(). For the previous example, the following function calls will be made in order:

tagStart("div");
      tagText("hello");
      tagStart("span");
      tagEnd("span");
      tagEnd("div");
        Answer Question

Product Design Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Evernote.

The Evernote interview process was one of the best I've ever experienced. Interviewers were all respectful, inquisitive, and passionate about the platform.

Interview Questions
    • In-depth explanation of a specific portfolio project (along with iterative questioning and analysis)   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Evernote.

I applied through my campus's online portal, received a screening call with a recruiter, and was then given a coding challenge which involved building a word frequency counter, but left the implementation details pretty opened ended. I spent 6-8 hours building what I thought was a pretty solid counter and tested and stress-tested it. Within a week, I got a phone interview, but didn't move pass that round.

Interview Questions
    • My phone interview had me build a selector for HTML DOM elements - implementing the ".class1 > .class2" function in particular. I implemented a depth first search, but struggled a bit in getting the > functionality to work.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Evernote in February 2014.

Had a series of phone screens with different hiring managers (about 2). Was never asked any difficult questions. Just about my résumé, my interest in the position and my knowledge of the product suite.

I then had to submit a writing sample--directions on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ( :/ ).

After getting through to the onsite interview it was basically a round robin interview scheme with the CS team in redwood city. Some were super informal and basically just conversations and some were a bit more inquisitive and intense. Questions like tell me about a time you had to explain a difficult subject/concept in clear and simplified terms? If a user was to contact you complaining about not being able to login to their account, what would your first line of response be?

Overall i never felt like i was thrown for a curveball. The interview process was super easy and i believe i only wasnt offered the position because i was way too expressive of my thoughts of it being a entry-point position and my interest in gravitating towards business development after successfully fulfilling the role.

Staffing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Evernote in October 2013.

From start to finish, I had a wonderful interview experience with Evernote. After going through the initial pre-screen and phone interview process, I was invited to a recruiting mixer Evernote was hosting at their HQ. It was a great way to get to know some of the team and their culture before coming in for an onsite. By the time I was invited onsite for a full round of interviews, I felt even more excited to learn more about the role and the company. The entire team was very warm and welcoming and even included a full tour of the office. The seating style is open (no cubicles) and collaborative — even Phil Libin sits at a desk amongst all of his team members. Overall I was very impressed by the friendliness of the team and how helpful they were to answer any and all questions I had throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't experience any "trick questions," nor did I feel put on the spot in a way that would have made me uncomfortable.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Evernote in May 2013.

I interviewed at Evernote twice, both times got offers, but they're different positions. The first time I was just graduating from grad school, and it took me a hard time to make a decision about which offer I should take. In the end, I chose a smaller startup in downtown Palo Alto. After working in the bay area for some time and seen their fast growth, I decided to apply again. And now I'm a full time employee here.
    The recruiter Pavlina is a wonderful lady. She gives you very quick responses, and eager to help the candidates. The first time that I interviewed at Evernote, I was a grad school student and nervous as I lack of experiences. But the interview in the Mountain View office went really well. The people are very nice, they listen to what you talk and give you positive feedbacks if you're on the right track, and they're very smart engineers themselves. Both of my interviews here are pretty standard, about 4 rounds, almost all of them are technical interviews. They asks about your general computer science knowledge, why do you want to work for Evernote, no brain teasers.
    And I would like to share about some of my working experience here too. Overall the culture is here very encouraging and positive, people are smart and friendly. Office environment is fantastic and food is great. Work life balance is good, no crazy hours like Apple or smaller startups. Compensation is competitive, but probably other companies will offer higher. You should know that it's Pre-IPO and you have a better career path than in Apple/Google/LinkedIn.

Interview Questions
    • not really, all of them are pretty standard. if you have a solid computer science background you should be fine   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Evernote in November 2013.

I applied online. The recruiter called me the following day and was very friendly and professional. I had 2 onsite interviews and the whole process took less than 2 weeks. Very efficient process. The managers/recruiter were very transparent in the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to write an email to a customer in Japan. It tested my writing, interpersonal and cultural sensitivity skills. I was impressed because it was a simulation of a real situation with a Japanese customer.   Answer Question
    I was asked my current salary. The offer was very reasonable and fair so did not have to negotiate too much.

Senior Operations Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Evernote in October 2013.

I was contacted quickly after submitting my resume and cover letter, and had ample opportunity to ask questions from the start. Everyone was very polite and responsive. I had a Skype interview with a remote Ops guy first, followed by an all-day interview at the RWC campus the following week. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to eat lunch with the CTO, which was great. While all the back-to-back interviews were intense, I felt I was provided with plenty of opportunity to express myself and demonstrate my abilities.

Interview Questions
    • Role-playing scenarios to demonstrate how I would solve a problem under difficult circumstances (e.g., a system unable to fork.)   View Answer
    I felt the offer was great and did not feel a need to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Evernote in November 2013.

The company and the people i met seem to be good. The process was smooth. Had a couple of phone screenings, then an onsite interview. The questions were challenging and like the environment.

Interview Questions
    • How will you remove duplicate tags from an xml document   Answer Question

The company seems to be very stingy with RSU's. I was offered 4 figure RSU's for 4 years. Who will join a pre ipo company for that number of RSU's.

Worked for Evernote? Contribute to the Community!