Evertz Microsystems

Updated Oct 17, 2014

3.5

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Evertz Microsystems in September 2014.

The initial interview was over the phone with the recruiter. No technical questions were asked, just some basic information along with salary and career expectations. Within a day I heard back from HR about scheduling a second interview at their main office in Burlington.

My interview was scheduled the following week, and I met with two senior engineers from the R&D department. The first interviewer asked me some general technical questions about programming and some other topics (e.g. What does the 'volatile' keyword mean in C? What's the difference between 1080p and 1080i?)

The second interviewer asked some more detailed and specific questions. I was asked to describe for him a system I designed previously in a block diagram. I was also given a programming task to do on paper (Write a program to push and pop an element in a queue implemented as a circular linked list.), and a second programming task that involved string manipulation.

After the interview, I had not heard back from HR for more than 3 weeks. The recruiter also didn't respond to my followup e-mail 2 weeks following the interview. After which I called the recruiter to find out what happened with my application. After reminding them of myself, I was told that a decision hasn't been made yet. A few days later I received a standard rejection e-mail.

I was disappointed in the complete lack of communication following my second interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Evertz Microsystems

Software Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Evertz Microsystems in February 2011.

The interview process was initiated with a 1:1 interview with a member of their R&D group. After this interview I was asked to come to their main office and conduct a second interview. The level of difficulty of the first interview was not that high compared to the second interview. The second interview was a 1:1 interview with 4 different individuals. One of them was a current intern, which allowed us to get an inside look at the life of an intern at the company (this was a co-op/intern opportunity). The other 3 individuals seemed to be experts in their fields and it was a very challenging interview. They asked all sorts of technical and non-technical problem solving questions. The main reason I found it a bit challenging was because I was not aware that I will be interviewed by 3 people and hence, I was not in the right mind set. Regardless, I did good in the interview and got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Three switches needs to be matched with three light bulbs in the other room that you cannot see into. You can only go into the room once. Initially the bulbs are turned off.   View Answer
    • You have 300 images and you are required to find the minimum bounding volume that can cover the non-black pixels on all the three images. Some hints were given to come up with the most efficient answer.   Answer Question

I chose to decline the offer as I got another offer from a company I really wanted to work for.