Evolent Health Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

Accounting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Evolent Health in September 2014.

1) Applied through the company's career page and received a recruiter's email asking for a brief phone interview.

2) Spoke to recruiter for 15-20 minutes about my background, the position, and salary requirements. Recruiter stated he'd pass along his notes to hiring manager to see if hiring manager wanted to move me along in process. Recruiter called later that day saying manager wanted to have a phone interview.

3) Hiring manager's phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Pretty basic stuff: my background, the position, and why I wanted to leave my current job. Hiring manager said he had multiple candidates to interview, and after the phone interviews, he'd decide which candidates to bring in office to final interview. A few days later, hiring manager invited me into office for final round interview.

4) Final interview was for about 2 hours with 4 different people. First was a senior member of the team. She was easy to speak with and basically spoke about the position. Second was the VP of Finance. Again, not too difficult questions being asked. Third was the hiring manger and by this time I was getting mentally fatigued from the whole thing. Fourth was the controller. Again, easy questions as to why I wanted the job, why I chose my degree...etc. Overall, lots of behavioral questions, where you tell them about a time...etc. Honestly, by the fourth interviewer, I started asking myself If I really wanted to work here, because the people seemed too uptight.

5) Recruiter called two days later saying they chose another candidate, and for once, I wasn't disappointed to receive a rejection call.

In summary, not a bad interview process. The recruiter was great.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: what do you pride yourself on?   View Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Evolent Health in July 2014.

The recruiter who contacted me was accommodating. I wasn't able to do my initial phone interview but he was willing to reschedule for another time. The interview was a quick conversation going over my resume and your typical questions about my previous jobs such as; what was most challenging, give an example where you solved a major problem, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was probably going through my resume solo. I had never done that before, so I wasn't really sure how much detail I needed to go into with each job that I've held.   Answer Question

RN Case Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Evolent Health in July 2014.

I received an e-mail from a recruiter initially, less than 12 hours after application. A 15 minute screening interview was arranged. During that interview, the recruiter summarized the position and asked me to review my resume, highlighting points I thought were notable or particularly relevant to the position. I was then asked why I was looking to leave my current organization. I was asked what I earn and what I am expecting to earn. I was asked if I have any other applications pending. I was told I would be contacted next by a manager for a 30 minute phone interview, and the recruiter sent me an e-mail the next day with the details.

The second interview with the manager went reasonably well. I was asked about my case management experience. I was asked to tell about a time I provided a patient with education resulting in positive outcomes. I was told I would be a "great asset to the team" and that 4-5 additional 30 minute phone interviews would be arranged (since I lived a bit far). That same afternoon, I was again contacted via e-mail by the recruiter with next interview details.

The third interview was rough. I misread the recruiter e-mail, and the call from the QA project manager came 30 minutes earlier than anticipated, while I was in clinic. I had to notify my staff I would be taking my lunch break a bit early (please note: I was not paid for the time I spent interviewing). Additionally, the interviewer seemed disengaged and it felt like more of an interrogation than an interview. The questions were vague and canned. There were long pauses while I was thinking of answers to his questions and long pauses as he wrote the answers down. It was awkward. The interview lasted 20 minutes vs the expected 30. The manager assured me the recruiter would be contacting me soon with next steps. This is the last I've heard from Evolent.

I sent a follow-up e-mail 1 week after the 3rd interview requesting the status of my application, as my current employer had offered a promotion. It appears my follow-up e-mail was ignored, so I'm moving on.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when your current organization shifted goals or resources. How did you respond and what were the outcomes?   View Answer

Health Educator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Evolent Health.

I applied online through company's website. I was contacted 4 days later to set up an initial phone conversation with an HR recruiter. The conversation was scheduled to last between 15-30 mins. The recruiter asked me to walk through my resume and highlight experiences in previous positions. I was later asked: Why did you choose to apply for a position with Evolent Health? Are you currently further along in the interview process with other companies? What is your current salary, and what are your salary requirements for this position? After I answered these questions, the recruiter informed me that she would be sending her notes to the hiring manager and I would hear back within 2 weeks. The recruiter was highly engaged in the conversation, and seemed impressed with my education and employment background. I followed up with a thank you email later that evening and began to wait. The next morning I received an email from the recruiter informing me that the hiring manager wanted to schedule a phone interview with me. This was super exciting, as I was very interested in the company, and eager to work through the interview process. I immediately sent my availability for the next week and the recruiter scheduled the interview with the hiring manger to occur a few days later.

I prepared for the interview and practiced my responses to typical interview questions. I did some more research on the company, so that I could come off as knowledgeable and further demonstrate my interest in the position. When the interviewer called, I felt as though I was prepared for everything. The conversation started with her talking about the position, the company, and how the role would fit into the flow of the department. I jotted down notes and continued to listen. The interviewer continued to talk for about 5 mins then finally asked me why I was interested in the company. I answered and then she started to talk again for a few more minutes without asking any questions. She then said she had my resume in front of her and asked a question about one of my previous positions, and I answered and explained the role within the organization. She responded "Okay, well do you have any questions?" I started to ask my questions, she responded to one of them then abruptly said "Okay well we are looking at other applications this week, and will be in touch." I asked if she had any further questions or if I could provide her with additional information, and she just said "No, and you should hear by the end of the week.” That was it.

I was taken aback by the short conversation, that was mostly one sided on the interviewer’s part. I feel like there wasn't a seamless way to interject, over the phone, with information about my qualifications while she was talking for extended periods of time. Perhaps an in person interview would have been better with this particular hiring manager, or maybe the hiring manager already made up their mind about another candidate and I was already out of the running? Anything is possible! Anyhow, I followed up with a gracious thank you note and reiterated my interest and skills that I felt would transfer over well to the position. The week went by without any contact from the company, so I reached out the following week to see the status of my application and expressed my interest again. About 2 hours after I sent the email, I received a generic message that the company decided to move forward with other candidates. It didn't come as a surprise since more time had passed than was stated to me, but it was still disappointing. Hopefully they found the best candidate, and hopefully I am successful in my job search soon!

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Evolent Health in November 2013.

I applied online and received an email the next day requesting a phone interview. I spoke with a recruiting coordinator about my previous experience and why I was leaving my current position. About 5 days after the phone interview I received an email requesting an in-person interview. I met with the hiring manager and two other people from the team individually. They asked all the usual experience questions with a few "how would you handle this situation" questions. Overall it was very casual and friendly. After the on-site interview they requested references. A few days after that I received a call from the hiring manager offering the position. I took a day to think it over, then made a counter offer on salary which was sent back to HR for approval. I think they came down a bit but I accepted. I submitted all the paperwork and started about 3 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything out of the ordinary. I met with 3 people from the team one-on-one and they just asked me about myself, my experience, and what I was looking for. It was more like a conversation and I was able to ask questions.   Answer Question

Corporate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Evolent Health.

The overall process was very exhausting, you initially get a phone call with the recruiter. Then, you get another phone call with the hiring manager. After that, there is an on-site interview with few other team members. I would stay away from Evolent Health. I received several messages from the recruiter with spelling errors, and it seemed like the recruiter was not very experienced or professional in that sense. Also, it took about a month or two to receive a decision after you send an email to the company for a response. The company was a bit sketchy in the sense that they would ask for input and it seemed like they were very new, disorganized, and still developing.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Evolent Health in April 2014.

I applied online and about 1 weeks later I received a call from the recruiter saying that they would like to do a phone screen. I passed the phone screen which was very straight forward and just about my experience (15 mins). Then I had a phone interview with a hiring manager - a senior director. Again, this was focused on my experience and was only about 20 mins. From that he stated he would like to bring me in for a round of interviews. The interview was set up for 2 weeks later. I interviewed with 4 different people from the senior director to sr. vp level. It was mostly asking about my experience in a lot of detail and some very high level case-like questions. My overall thoughts on the process:

1. The recruiter: while nice, she was not good about setting expectations and about follow-up. She stated she would call on a certain day or email and this was not closely followed. I contacted her once a week, which I do not think is aggressive, but after that number of interviews I would think it would be best to close the loop with the candidate either way. She keep say that my feedback was "very positive" - obviously not positive enough to get the position however, and she was not able to provide any feedback beyond the fact that it was all really positive. By the end, I had to go directly to the hiring manger to get her to follow-up and when she did return my call I could tell she was a bit annoyed I went around her.

2. The interview process: I thought they did a good job with the interviewing. It was a strong back and forth regarding learning about the company and expressing my interest and my qualifications. The one odd thing was that the first person I interviewed with was someone who I wouldn't be working for but who collaborates a lot with the team I was interviewing to join. What that meant was that she didn't have any insight into the role and the qualifications and I didn't have enough of a detailed understanding of the role to ask her pointed questions. That was not a solid way to start as I think meeting with this person later in the day would have been more beneficial for both of us. I was told I would be contacted the next week, which didnt happen (see above)

3. The organization: For the most part the people I met were very smart and dynamic - I can tell that they work to build out a strong team. That being said, one thing I noticed was I asked every interviewer where they say the company going in the next 5 years, and they all had different answers. I think Evolent like many startups is still very much defining their identity and they haven't really prioritized clarifying their role in the healthcare market. I could tell that anyone that joined would definitely be pulled in a lot of directions and would have to deal with multiple reorganizations as evolent evolves. This is not necessarily a bad thing at all, its just you have the be the type of person to thrive in that environment. Beyond my interview with the recruiter though, I thought the people were definitely the strongest asset of Evolent.

I didn't get an offer but it worked out for the best given my negative experience with the recruiting process which was disorganized and I had other pending offers which were a better fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • Just be able to give concrete examples of your work experience.   Answer Question

Principal Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Evolent Health.

Well coordinated and positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions weren't difficult because I was well qualified for the position.   Answer Question

Clinical Team Interview

Healthcare providers beware. The screening process is definitely geared towards the business side of the organization. I had a phone interview with a recruiter who was obviously not in the healthcare field and had no understanding of my background. If your work history fits into a cookie cutter that a non-healthcare provider might understand, you could do well. Otherwise, good luck. The respect of being given 10 minutes on the phone with someone who knew anything about healthcare would have been appreciated.

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Evolent Health in February 2014.

Started with a phone call from the recruiter. The recruiter reviewed the position and requirements with me and asked me why I was interested in the position. I then spoke with the lead executive assistant. I was invited to interview with four members of the internal operations team. After this, I interviewed with the potential executives I would be supporting.

Interview Questions
    • Why I was interested in a support role versus a managing role with the company.   Answer Question
    It was quick and a compromise was found.

Worked for Evolent Health? Contribute to the Community!