Evolent Health Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.9

Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Evolent Health (Arlington, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was originally contacted by an Evolent manager regarding an opportunity for an individual contributor position. Although I had not been seeking employment outside of my company, I entertained the idea of this new opportunity and submitted a copy of my resume. I was contacted a week later by HR who briefly ran through my resume (15 min). I received a call back in about a week where they said they would like me to come onsite (Arlington) for an interview, not for the individual contributor role, but for a management role as that was more aligned to my current role. Scheduling the onsite interview was challenging (accommodating schedules for five of their associates as well as my own). Several weeks did go by, but they arranged for and reimbursed all of my travel expenses (flight, hotel, meals).The office location is great; very close to the airport for easy travel. Upon arriving at the office, I was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere is filled with young energetic minds with all the amenities that a "cool" office should have (XBox, Pool Tables, Treadmill workstations, Fresh veggies in the break room). So there are definitely perks working onsite, but I was looking to work remotely. The interview schedule was changed last minute the night before, but I still interviewed with five team members, which included a Manager, Sr. Manager, Staff VP, Individual contributor, and then a direct report. The interviews went well. They varied from talking through my background to "tell me about a time" to "let's just chat". I left the interviews on a positive note and received an email later that day from HR stating they would follow-up with me in a week. This is where things went sour. Like several other reviews, I never heard back. I found out via LinkedIn that the Ind Contributor Interviewer was promoted internally into the position I had interviewed for. I sent a follow-up to HR and they responded stating the manager would call. However, the phone call never came.

Anaytics Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Evolent Health.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter right after a friend's referral. The whole process took about 4 weeks. The initial phone screening with the recruiter took 15 minutes. She basically asked me to give an overview of my resume. I then had two phone interviews that were one week apart, each took about 30 minutes. Both interviewers focused on behavioral questions. The onsite interview took place a week later. They flew me in to Arlington the night before the interview and put me in a nice hotel. The onsite interview composed of 5 sessions, each was 30-45 minutes long. Most questions were behavioral (know the STAR interview technique), some were technical. They switched the interviewer for my last session. Everyone was nice and friendly, but I did get a sense that the direction for the team is unclear, and there seems to be a disconnection between upper management and the team. Overall, I had a great experience, and the recruiting coordinator was very helpful and accommodating.

Analytics Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Evolent Health.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, within a week or so, after applying to the position on LinkedIn. The initial phone screen was a general resume screen. The recruiter asked about my SAS experience as it is used in a somewhat basic capacity at Evolent. I don't have healthcare experience but some in science so that was discussed. A few weeks later I had a second phone interview with an associate manager which lasted about 30 minutes. The original interviewer was switched last minute and it was apparent that the new one was unprepared and uninterested. I asked what type of technologies they used and was told mostly Excel (whereas the job description read SAS, SQL, R, etc.). The third and final in-person interview was scheduled a couple weeks after. The Evolent Health office was nicely decorated and had lots of windows. I had 4 45 minute interviews with 5 people which felt redundant. I was mostly asked generic behavioral questions - some of which were the same thing. Healthcare or healthcare-related experiences were valued and focused on (most people have MPHs). The projects the interviewers talked about were mostly gathering client data and building reports. Everyone I interacted with during the process was pleasant and probably late-20s to early-30s. The entire process was about 5-6 weeks.

Population Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Evolent Health (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

HR email and phone contact then onsite interview with hiring manager and other team members. The process and people were very professional. I received a phone call from HR 2 weeks after the interview that they were going with another candidate. I thought the phone call was extremely nice/personal-- very rare from an HR dept.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of STAR behavior-based questions (which is good, I think). You should be familiar with the questions and STAR approach and use examples from past employment experiences that tie well to the job description.   Answer Question

RN Case Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Evolent Health (Raleigh, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

There are 3 steps for the interview process. The first is with the recruiter. Second is with the manager via telephone and third is face to face with manager. I was sent an email from the recruiter with a scheduled time and date for the screening process. I was told that the topic of discussion would be my background infomation and further discussion of the job itself.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation or conflict you had at a prior job, and how you handled it to achieve a positive outcome.   Answer Question
    • Tell me specifically what your prior job roles were.   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be an RN Case Manager?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any other offers right now?   Answer Question
    • What are your salary requirements?   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Evolent Health.

Interview

I had a very quick phone screen with the recruiter who was clueless. It was about 10 minutes and she asked me to go through my resume. I asked if there was anything I needed to clarify or expand on and was told no. I was told my resume would be passed on to the hiring manager and my resume was impressive. I got a rejection email. It's ok it's just the first person I came into contact with was not impressive. She really didn't have a good understanding of the position and didn't tell me anything about the company. I was asked my salary requirements and my response was it really depends on the expectations of the position. She kept pushing me for a number and I asked if there was a range and was told she did not know.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Evolent Health.

Interview

Was a long process for me, some back and forth initially as job descriptions changed. Many phone interviews and a few in person interviews. Everyone was very communicative and professional in their assistance. Felt welcomed and engaged each time I interacted with recruitment staff or potential managers.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you dealt with a conflict and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate some, but not much. It was enough to make me accept!

Analyst Interview

Interview

Until phone interview with HR Recruiter. followed by 3 phone interviews with Directors. Went in for a face to face interview. The interview approximately 3-3.5 hours max. I met individually with 4 interviewers. Then there was a final phone interview with the Sr. Director of Payer Operations. The team members explained their role with the company and how it tied into the position in which, I was interviewing for. Followed by the expectations for the new role but the majority of the questions were behavior based. Overall the interviewers were professional and inviting..

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were under pressure or overwhelmed at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Evolent Health in January 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter than the hiring manager. I was then asked to come in for an in person interview where I spoke with four employees individually. Interview went well and everyone was easy to talk to. The recruiter was very helpful during the entire process by answering questions and making sure I had all the information for the interview ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to complete a project with minimal or no direction.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Evolent Health.

Interview

Typical hiring process: HR phone screening, Hire Manager phone interview, on-site interview. All went well till on-site. My on-site interview schedule changed 4 times before going. The last version eliminated all VP and directors which made me feel they have already made the decision of no offer. On-site interview is a very bad experience too. The first interviewer kept yawning, she did not have a copy of my resume and ask me for one. And she mentioned she supposed to work from home that day and remembered the interview the last minute. The second interviewer did not show up at all, so I was sitting there the whole time. I loved the last two interviewers though, they are very technical, we had a good conversation. I would love to work with someone like them. Back to HR, my HR contact is not there on the on-site day, another lady showed me around, she reprinted the schedule once I was there ( the previous copy changed again and there is typo on names). She said she will make sure I was updated about the process and let me know what is happening and make sure interviewer are on time, of course, no promise is kept. After the interview she mentioned she will email me the interviewers contact info for me to write a thank you note, no email at all.

My HR contact wrote to me later indicating there are next steps which gave me hope. After long holidays, I got an automated email from recruiting thanking me for applying.

Overall, very unprofessional. If you find a good candidate before my interview, it is fine, just cancel mine and not to waste our time. If you decided to keep my interview, then handle it professionally, let's respect each other. And the interviewer, you represent your company, so be professional!