Exablox Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Exablox

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Exablox in November 2013.

Although, I have interviewed at a lot of tech companies, I've never felt compelled to warn other candidates about a potential timesink of an interview process as I feel with this company:

I was contacted by a recruiter from Exablox about a Senior Software Engineer position at their Sunnyvale, CA headquarters. Since I had a storage background I figured I did not have anything to lose by spending a few hours to meet the team. After the first 2 hours of interviewing on the first day, I was called back in for another series of interviews the following week. I diligently went back since it was normal for companies to meet with candidates on 2 separate occasions.
    At this point, I had spent 6 hours of my time and most the discussions I had were surprising in their lack of technical depth when it came to CS fundamentals. Almost all the interviewers asked me similar questions about my previous work experience and the discussions grew monotonous.
    But in any case, I was surprised when the recruiter contacted me 10 days later to inform me that everything went very well and they would like me to meet the CEO/CTO/VP for a "final meet and greet". Since it was an informal confirmation that they wanted to make an offer, I went along with it the next day. I was more than a little shocked when the "meet and greet" turned out to be another set of monotonous technical sessions(5 hours in total) again centered around my previous work experience. At this point, I lost interest and didn't really care anymore.
    As I expected, the recruiter contacted me the next day saying that the team had decided not to move forward.
    So basically, I wasted 11 hours of my productive time interviewing with a company that consistently misled me about the next steps.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all the sessions monotonously revolved around my previous work experience. A few interviewers were inconsiderate enough to repeatedly ask me about distributed file systems when I admitted that I did not have a Filesystem background. Neither had I made such a claim on my resume.
      Other than that, there were no technical questions. Apparently, my programming skills were supposed to be probed by another separate take-home assignment which I never received because I never made through the 11 hours of inane interviewing. My question to Exablox is - when you are interviewing a guy in-person for 11 hours, why not ask him technical questions in-person?
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Exablox.

Standard Issue; show up with previous work you can demonstrate online if possible; or have a good GitHub resume. Or just be able to handle questions with good humor and intelligence.

Just aim high and be ready to negotiate.

Automation QA Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Exablox in December 2011.

Contacted via linked in. Did a brief phone screen, followed by an in-person interview sequence.

Had a cordial non-technical chat with a professional and polite engineering executive. I then spoke rather generally about Python, Twisted, and my work experience with a senior developer/architect. I hadn't yet polished my presentation for this job search, so I didn't make much of an impression on this interviewer with my meandering and casual style.

Next was an unpleasant discussion with another high level developer/architect/founder type. Appeared to become testy after I made an innocuous comment about block drivers and data verification, apparently thinking I was questioning one of his points. I couldn't recover from this perceived impertinence and the interview sputtered to an awkward conclusion. I was politely led from the building.

A crisp, factual, and energetic presentation would probably serve you well with this group. Looks like a strong team and an interesting product, so it might be worth making the effort.

(The blacked out windows made the building a little dark and depressing.)

Interview Questions