ExactTarget Marketing Cloud Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2014

2.6

Senior Campaign Manager, Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud.

Referred by a current employee. Initial contact with HR Recruiter for a basic screen call. Provided a QA test to be completed in 48 hrs. Not too difficult, with QA experience. Completed same day. Next up was a phone call with a campaign manager. Half hour, pretty detailed and analytical with questions centered on tools used, organization and how to handle clients/customers and communication amongst internal teams to accomplish goals. This 1st interview was the hardest. Next was brought in to Indianapolis for live interviews. Travel, hotel, everything paid for (hotel was taken care of before even arriving!). 6 interviews; 1 was a repeat with campaign mgr from phone interview, 2 were by phone and the rest live. Most relaxed interviews I've ever had. Very conversation, very little discussion of skill or technical knowledge. NO trick questions. Vast majority of discussion seemed to focus on teamwork, personality/fit. Very big on their culture and ears seemed to perk up when I did the same and knew intimately about the company, it's history and "Orange culture". Seemed comfortable about the Salesforce acquisition 1 year+ later. Not much concern over changes or culture clashes. Little had changed and only benefits & systems in transition for alignment (which is expected). By far, the best interview experience in my career. They really seemed to be overwhelmed with incoming work/new biz and genuinely welcoming to hiring a good fit (their words, many times over) and just training up where needed! Lots of positions available at the time I interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • Really pushed on anything related to how do you organize? The position requires a great deal of tracking/client-reporting for multiple clients on many steps at different stages, so mostly: HOW do you keep things organized and tracked?   View Answer
    A bit contentious. The offer was good, just a bit of back and forth on some finer points. Can't go into too much detail, but worked out in the end and everyone happy!

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud in July 2014.

The process with ExactTarget was very drawn out and long. In my opinion, it was disorganized. First started out with a couple HR interviews to learn about your background and to talk about ET's orange culture. Then, they have you complete a case study test specific to the role in which you are applying for for the team to review. If you pass the test, you then move on to another phone interview with a team member in the similar position. This whole process from start to this point took about 2 months. It was completely unnecessary to drag it out since applicants put a lot of time forward to prepare. From this point on, communication nearly stopped for several weeks. After multiple inquiries to my contact that left unanswered, they followed up to let me know that they no longer have an open position but will stay in touch which wasn't surprising since they moved so slow in the process. They stressed how quickly they move and request that you complete the test ASAP so they can keep the processing moving...however that was very contradicting since they really dropped the ball on their end.

Interview Questions
    • What are some metrics you use to measure success?   View Answer

Solutions Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud in May 2014.

I was screened by a recruiter, than a few days later spoke with the manager of the team I was applying to work with. He was kind, knowledgeable and asked a few questions pertaining to my work history. He told me on the phone he would like to fly me out to Indianapolis soon to meet me in person.

My flight was schedule a few days later for that coming Monday. They sent me the address and an itinerary of the entire interview process. The first bullet on the itinerary was "presentation" I asked the recruiter I was working with if I needed to prepare anything for this, and she told me no.

Once in Indianapolis, on the day of the interview, I grabbed a cab from the hotel I was put into. Turns out, the HR representative for Exact Target gave me the wrong address. I ended up at three different buildings since they have multiple locations in the city. Luckily for me, I was able to make it to the right location only a few minutes behind. The same HR representative that gave me the wrong address walked me to the interview room where I met with the team. Straight away they asked me to plug into their projector to give a presentation - the same presentation I was told NOT to prepare for. I was utterly mortified I hadn't prepared anything, but quickly thought to show my personal portfolio - but I believe the interview was doomed from this moment.

I met with several other team members separately after that disaster and they were all very kind and intelligent. I felt right at home speaking to them about the opportunity and my skill set. My last interview was with the employee I was replacing, since he was moving on in the company. I could tell straight away he was looking for someone with a lot of experience and wasn't going to let his position go to just anyone. He was rather cold compared to the other team members and at one point asked me to tell him a joke. Well after the debacle of not finding the building and not having a presentation prepared, I was spent and had nothing to offer and asked kindly "do you have a joke?" his response was "No. That's why I asked you." Quickly shutting me down and completely deflating me.

Once I was home the recruiter played phone tag with me for about three weeks giving me promise I was getting an offer, to only letting me know that they weren't ready to make one yet. I never heard if they finally hired anyone, but it seems that the position is still open on the website. I wish I had received a formal decline.

Overall, I think that Exact Target would be a wonderful company to work for and the team seemed incredibly intelligent. Definitely a smart group with a bright future. The perks of the position and the benefits were a huge plus.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find many of the questions to be too difficult. Most questions were about my background, my skills and my desire to work with Exact Target.   Answer Question

Catapult Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Met them on campus through an event hosted by a student organization, and followed that up by visiting them at the career fair. Applied online, gave them my resume at the career fair, went through an on-campus interview, telephone interview, and finally a full day of on-site interviews. Got an offer the morning after the on-site interviews and accepted right away.

Interview Questions
    • I think I lucked out because most my interviewers asked pretty standard questions. What are your strengths/weaknesses, examples of leadership/entrepreneurship/taking risks, what are my passions, etc.   Answer Question

Executive Store Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud.

Interviewed at my college Career Fair. Did an initial interview the next day and found out 5 days later through email that I was able to move forward. Setting up a time to meet at their Indy headquarters for interview round two. I also have an online assessment to complete.

Senior Global Talent Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud in February 2014.

submitted application online, received confirmation immediately. Was contacted by someone to schedule an interview through an electronic system. Prior to the interview had to complete and online assessment. First round interview was with a recruiter and was terrible. Recruiter seemed unprepared and was awkward. Lots of dead space after I answered questions. When I asked questions (which were really good) she acted like i was stupid, when in reality it was clear she did not understand what I was asking. I did find it interesting that when I asked questions about culture (which is incredibly important there) she was unable to provide tangible examples of what culture looked like in action. Second round interview with the hiring manager went much better. I was told that I was good culture fit and had a good background, the question was whether I had the depth of experience in the area she needed. I received an email about a month later saying that the position had closed.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were that difficult or unexpected. Very standard.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud.

Initial phone screenings followed by in person meetings with principals. Very laid back yet engaging process. The recruitment team did a great job of keeping me informed of every step of the process. Prompt response and communication all around.

Interview Questions
    There was very little room for negotiation however the perks offered seemed to balance out nicely.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online – interviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud in January 2014.

Knew the right person. Interview process was almost a formality. Knowing the right people and being known for being a hard worker seems to be an efficient way to get in.
    Had a phone interview with a hiring manager, then scheduled an in-person interview. Interviewed with managers, then technical lead and peers. Scheduled for a total of an hour and a half or so, but we ran over a bit.
    Notably had been fighting off recruiters for months for contractor roles in software development (and I mean just at ET), but passed on all of them. Guess my resume finally found its way to the right person!

Interview Questions
    • There were a few questions about whether I had experience with specific technical aspects which I did not.   View Answer
    Hiring manager went over benefits, soliciting questions before talking salary, then we played the "you first" game. Got what I wanted and what made it worth it for me given my impression of benefits, compensation, and expected work ethic and flexibility offered by both sides.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud in December 2013.

Was contacted by a recruiter, spoke with the VP of engineering then brought in on very short notice for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • First I was asked to model a database so I could perform a complex query involving 3 inner joins. That was a really good question, in my opinion. The stumper question was to write a method that would return all the upper and lower-case permutations of a string.   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExactTarget Marketing Cloud in November 2013.

I was contacted regarding an opportunity in the recruiting department. I had a phone interview with the manager of the department that went very well and later told that if called into a face to face interview, I should expect an offer as "80% of face to face interviews result in offer". Once brought in for a face to face, I had 4 different interviews. The first interview was with the Director of the department. She was very late to the interview as I sat alone for a good 15 minutes in a room. She did apologize for it claiming she was very busy, but you would think an interview would be important to show you care about your possible future employees. The first interview went well and was very high level questions about my experience. The secondary interview was with the manager of the department who I had already spoken to on the phone. This interview was much more casual as she already knew my answers. The next two interviews were with team members I would be working with. The interviews were vastly different. The first interview was with 2 senior recruiters and were very abrasive as if they had an issue with me from the get go. The second interview was with the sourcers and went very well. By the end of the interview, I was not sold on this "Orange Culture" that they mentioned over and over. I left the interview very unsure if I was interested in the position or not. I heard back 2-3 days later that they would be pursuing other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. There was some abrasive type of questions that bothered me.   Answer Question