Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region

Relevance Date Difficulty

Actuary Interview

Actuary
Rochester, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region in September 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communication was fine. People were friendly. Offer was competitive. Staff was knowledgable. HR was a train wreck and the main reason I turned down the position. They used behavioral interviewing techniques but in all 4 or 5 interviews I had, everyone asked me the identical questions...utter waste of time and not very professional. Additionally, the director I was going to report to stated that actuaries at this company really didn't have a voice that senior leadership was listening to...that was a deal breaker for me...

Interview Question – Questions were typical.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – HR was terrible to work with. Usually, if HR can't get the basics of an interview correct or the timing of an offer, I have little faith that they can get the more important things correct either...like future salary increases. I wasn't willing to relocate with this company as my only viable actuarial job within 100 miles when HR was being difficult from the start. I loved the team I would have led. I was very disappointed but I am very risk adverse. I would rather be safe than sorry later.

Competitive Intelligence Intern Interview

Competitive Intelligence Intern
Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region.

Interview Details – Interview was very behavioral and felt extremely scripted. For an MBA intern / Financial modeling role, there was very little asked about financial performance measurement or modeling experience. It felt like the interviewer was unsure of the position they were interviewing for (it was conducted by a part-time manager for another department) and most of the time was spent on "tell me about a time..." questions. Coming from a business and healthcare background I was very excited to interview for this position, but the lackadaisical interview and uninterested manager really turned me off to this company. From all the poor reviews on Glassdoor I should not have been surprised.

Interview Question – Following descriptions of past financial modeling projects in Excel I have carried out for clients, I was asked, "Are you proficient with Excel and how would you compare yourself to your peers?". It was hard for me to not ask the interviewer if they had been paying attention for the last two minutes or had any idea what I was talking about or any modeling experience / knowledge.   Answer Question

Manager, Project Management Interview

Manager, Project Management
Rochester, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region in April 2009.

Interview Details – It was great and they asked incisive questions.

Negotiation Details – It was hard, but both sides got what we needed.

Finance Internship Interview

Finance Internship
Rochester, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was interviewed with two managers from the finance department, the majority of the questions are behavior questions. Since I don't have any finance background, they did't expect me to know.

Interview Questions

Technical Writer Analyst Interview

Technical Writer Analyst
Rochester, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed by staffing agency who referred several people; face-to-face interview with company representative for a contract position. Good communication with person; however, noticed when asked several questions about documentation, process, that there was a problem in addressing these issues within the company. The attitude was "you have to pick your battles" largely due to being the person less senior within the company. It was difficult to assess the work culture, because where the interview took place was formal. Where the work would have been done was informal with some flexibility to work from home. Due to specific technical requirements in the work, someone with Sigma 6 and particular database experience was selected.

Interview Question – What data warehousing experience do you have?   View Answer

MBA Intern Interview

MBA Intern
Rochester, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region in May 2010.

Interview Details – I apllied for multiple positions and was called back about a month later. I was asked to come in and chat. I came for the interview - it was with 2 director-level hiring managers. I acted honestly, and ended up being offered the position, which I accepted. I was later told the process was extremely competetive.

Interview Question – Describe an experience that shows us that you would be a good fit for this position, given what we've talked about.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked point blank what I wanted to make. I responded that I wanted to be paid what they thought I was worth. I was offered a salary that sounded good to me, so I accepted. I later found out that there were others who bargained for more.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region employees and interview candidates.