Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region

Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.6

Brand Communications and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with a few different area managers at once. Each had questions regarding their specific areas: marketing, public relations, etc. Spent a fair amount of time discussing my resume and what I would like to accomplish within the next five years.

Interview Questions

• What's the most interesting project that you worked on?   Answer Question

Government Programs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Online application, followed by a HR phone screen and then a 30 minute behavioral interview. Everyone I spoke with was very pleasant and they genuinely seemed like they wanted to know more about me and have me work with them. I felt at ease during my interview.

Competitive Intelligence Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY).

Interview

Interview was very behavioral and felt extremely scripted. For an MBA intern / Financial modeling role, there was very little asked about financial performance measurement or modeling experience. It felt like the interviewer was unsure of the position they were interviewing for (it was conducted by a part-time manager for another department) and most of the time was spent on "tell me about a time..." questions. Coming from a business and healthcare background I was very excited to interview for this position, but the lackadaisical interview and uninterested manager really turned me off to this company. From all the poor reviews on Glassdoor I should not have been surprised.

Interview Questions

• Following descriptions of past financial modeling projects in Excel I have carried out for clients, I was asked, "Are you proficient with Excel and how would you compare yourself to your peers?". It was hard for me to not ask the interviewer if they had been paying attention for the last two minutes or had any idea what I was talking about or any modeling experience / knowledge.   Answer Question

Actuary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

Initial communication was fine. People were friendly. Offer was competitive. Staff was knowledgable. HR was a train wreck and the main reason I turned down the position. They used behavioral interviewing techniques but in all 4 or 5 interviews I had, everyone asked me the identical questions...utter waste of time and not very professional. Additionally, the director I was going to report to stated that actuaries at this company really didn't have a voice that senior leadership was listening to...that was a deal breaker for me...

Interview Questions

HR was terrible to work with. Usually, if HR can't get the basics of an interview correct or the timing of an offer, I have little faith that they can get the more important things correct either...like future salary increases. I wasn't willing to relocate with this company as my only viable actuarial job within 100 miles when HR was being difficult from the start. I loved the team I would have led. I was very disappointed but I am very risk adverse. I would rather be safe than sorry later.

Finance Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

I was interviewed with two managers from the finance department, the majority of the questions are behavior questions. Since I don't have any finance background, they did't expect me to know.

Interview Questions

• Descrbie the most difficult thing you have gone through.   Answer Question
    • What's your preference of team study or personal study   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

I apllied for multiple positions and was called back about a month later. I was asked to come in and chat. I came for the interview - it was with 2 director-level hiring managers. I acted honestly, and ended up being offered the position, which I accepted. I was later told the process was extremely competetive.

Interview Questions

• Describe an experience that shows us that you would be a good fit for this position, given what we've talked about.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was asked point blank what I wanted to make. I responded that I wanted to be paid what they thought I was worth. I was offered a salary that sounded good to me, so I accepted. I later found out that there were others who bargained for more.

Technical Writer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

Interviewed by staffing agency who referred several people; face-to-face interview with company representative for a contract position. Good communication with person; however, noticed when asked several questions about documentation, process, that there was a problem in addressing these issues within the company. The attitude was "you have to pick your battles" largely due to being the person less senior within the company. It was difficult to assess the work culture, because where the interview took place was formal. Where the work would have been done was informal with some flexibility to work from home. Due to specific technical requirements in the work, someone with Sigma 6 and particular database experience was selected.

Interview Questions

• What data warehousing experience do you have?   1 Answer

Manager, Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield Rochester Region (Rochester, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

It was great and they asked incisive questions.

Negotiation

It was hard, but both sides got what we needed.