Exclusive Motors

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Automotive Line Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA
Anonymous Employee in Venice, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Exclusive Motors in February 2014.

Answered an ad on Craigslist> Los Angeles> Westside> Jobs> about Mechanic Needed. Shared my desired rate by phone of $14 an hour, and the owner George Frem said "come in and we'll discuss it to see how close I can get. I'm sure we can work something out."

Interviewed same day, hired same day. It felt great. No nonsense questions ("If you were an animal/color/doctor, what kind would you be?") he wanted just the basics: do I know both money-maker cars, and luxury. Because most of his client cars are luxury: Benz, Jag, Rover, Audi, etc. but also does oil change specials on standard drives.

No background checks, no credit, no reference checks. This is probably the most parole-friendly place to work because he's the owner, interviewer and HR person in one! Not that I'm fresh out of prison, but I could have been. He didn't even ask for my drivers license until the second day so although he's going to play games with the money, he's quick to hire.

Interview Questions
  • Beware "Bait And Switch" Interviews! Trickiest part of this interview was understanding the fancy "jazz-hands" George does with the calculator, extrapolating a 40-hour week's salary of $14/hr. rate down to $11/hr. by including 9 hour days plus Saturday.   View Answer
  • "How do you feel about $11.00? Because everyone here makes 11 to start an hour."   View Answer

The conversation only began based on how "close we can get you to your $14/hr." but in a bait-and-switch it became $11 then $8. EZ come, EZ go!