Exelis Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.5

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Exelis.

Interview

One telephone interview, followed by an on-site interview. You'd talk to at least 4-5 people from the hiring team. Overall, the interview experience was good. But be prepared to answer detailed technical questions and explain your past experience.

Interview Questions

• Based on what team you join. But in general, they'll ask you on C and C++.   Answer Question

Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monrovia, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Exelis (Monrovia, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with one person and an on site interview with two people. The whole thing was delayed and delayed and then finally the company did the entire process in about a week. The plane flight and interviews were always scheduled last minute (aka we need yo to fly down tomorrow) and was kind of silly as after driving and flying to the interview I spent less than an hour talking to the people. I was then just told they would get back to me soon, but my flight out did not leave for almost another 12 hours leaving me nothing to do and with no real understanding of the company.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Exelis (Rochester, NY).

Interview

After speaking with representatives at my university career fair I applied for a few positions online. After about a month I received a pre-screening phone call and had a conversation with an HR representative to set up the next interview. The phone interview was with 2 senior engineers, the questions that they asked were mostly behavioral. A few days later I received another email, so I could schedule an on-site visit. The on-site visit consisted of a tour the facility that I would be working at and a group behavioral interview. The interview was very similar to the one that I had on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions including: where do you see yourself 5 years, why Exelis, what makes you the best candidate, etc.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenbelt, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Exelis (Greenbelt, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Pre-screening phone call (after speaking with representatives at a university career fair). After being told to look at a specific position, an on-site interview was scheduled for the following week. The on-site interview was really great. First, I met with one of the project leads who was looking to hire for the position and got an in-depth look at the project (though not so much what I would be doing). Then I met with the employee who I met at the career fair for a behavioral "interview" that was a very informal, relaxed discussion of my professional outlook and experience. Then I met with an HR rep. Very informal but got a good picture of the company.

Interview Questions

• Be able to talk about your vision for your work life, be fluent with behavioral questions (i.e. look online for a list and have someone else ask you them...actually go through your answers out loud)   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Exelis (Fort Wayne, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

Very casual and laid back interview, they just asked about points you list on your resume, so be sure to be familiar with your resume. They are proud to take you on a tour of the facility and try to gauge your interest for different roles during the tour. After going over your resume, they ask the usual questions.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had difficulty with a teammate or coworker?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Exelis (Rochester, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Took 3 months to hear back once I had submitted my resume and cover letter. Was contacted via e-mail with some questions about my experience and whether or not I was still interested in the position. Was called a day after my e-mail response for a short, 30 minute phone pre-screen. An in-person interview was scheduled for a few days later. Interviewed with two senior personnel, questions were more about my experiences and a few light behavioral-type questions. This portion of the interview lasted an hour, and included a brief tour of the facilities. The second portion of the interview was with HR, and consisted of some more experience questions and a couple behavioral questions. The whole interview process made it seem like they were interested in hiring me from the first time they contacted me.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Exelis.

Interview

The interview process consisted with an initial phone screening the scheduled an in person meeting. Received a phone call one hour prior to the scheduled interview time stating that we need to reschedule due to time conflict - should have known this was an indicator of the culture.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They lowball the offer and there was a little back and forth to get a decent salary.

Entry Level Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Exelis.

Interview

Interview was with six members of the engineering staff. There were no technical detail type questions. They mainly talked to me about my resume and experience in university and my experience with group projects.They were very nice and easy to talk to. Q: How have you dealt with uncooperative group members in the past? What is you greatest accomplishment? Most/least favorite college class? Tell us about your senior design project and how it worked.

Interview Questions

• What was an example of a situation you were thrown into the middle of that you had not experienced before and that you had to adapt to quickly?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was decent so I accepted.

Calibrations Technician Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Exelis.

Interview

There was an initial phone call informing me of their interest in bringing me in to be interviewed for the position and asked if I was generally interested. The in-person interview was very casual, although I feel that was because the person that interviewed me, stuck an instant connection, and liking to me, which took a lot of the pressure off of the interview.

Systems Engineer IV Interview

Interview

When I was interviewed it was part of a career day. 20 to 30 recent graduates were interviewed however only a handful of positions could be filled. I had 3 sit down interviews that day.

Negotiation

My number was exceeded but if I knew then what I know now I would have asked from more.