Expedia Interview Questions in Bellevue, WA

Updated Sep 26, 2014

107 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in September 2014.

I was recommended for the position through a third-party staffing agency. I met with the staffing agency for an overview of the position, did one phone screen with the hiring manager at Expedia, and did one onsite interview with the direct manager and the program lead. The phone screen consisted of the standard "Tell me about yourself," "What interests you in this position," "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" questions. The onsite interview was less formally structured -- the program lead read my resume, and asked in-depth questions about how I approached my work. Seemed like a positive, balanced office environment.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

contacted by a recruiter several days after apply online. set up a phone screen the next day and on-site two weeks later. Then the recruiter told me the feedback is good and want to setup another phone call with the hiring manager from the team I was assigned. And then I was told the manager doesn't think I am a good fit?!!!!! This is my whole interview process, it went well and I enjoyed it at the beginning, but then it just getting weird.

Interview Questions
    • None, all straight forward questions. Try to clear the ambiguous before starting tackling it.   Answer Question

GC3 T2 Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in July 2014.

I had four interviews, each more messed up than the first. First off, the first interviewer was late, and spent more time apologizing than actually asking questions. We went over a bit, but then the next person was also late. Last minute change, but the last two interviews were to be handled by conference call, but the I.T. guy couldn't figure out to get the Avaya system to work, to which he then told me they may call me by phone. Good thing I was being considerate and just turned it completely off. Then the first phone interviewer kind of complained about having to call me three times. He was fine after I explained this was news to me, and that I turned it off so as not to distract me. Overall the third interview went ok, and onto the final interview, also over the phone, and she was very nice. But lo and behold, the HR person barges in while we were speaking, and she wants me to mention to the person I'm speaking with that she is in the room. At that point I figured she was more than just rude, but that they had already made their mind up. But trying to ask a couple of questions, the HR person would just interject "yeah, uh huh, yup". Pretty freaking rude, especially for an HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical, scenario based stuff, what have I worked with, how would you deal with such and such.   Answer Question

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Met an HR representative at a hiring fair and talked them through my qualifications and interests. Based on our conversation they said they would pass along my information to a hiring manager they had in mind. The hiring manager emailed me to setup a time for us to talk about my qualifications. The phone interview went very well and Expedia was impressed with my experience. Based on the phone interview they scheduled an in-person interview. Interviewed with 4 people, each for 1 hour. The interviews were challenging and at the same time fun. Interviewers were professional, had great questions, and provided exciting conversations. In fact, my interview actually went long because of the great conversations we had.

The hiring manager told me that she would contact me within 2 weeks about a decision. A few days later I was asked to provide my references. After notifying my references that they would be called soon I sent along their information. Expedia contact 2 out of 4 of the references and the references told me the conversations went well. Then.... complete radio silence from Expedia. No phone call, or email.

Giving it over a week I contacted the HR person and they never responded to 2 emails and a phone call. Contacted the hiring manager and she responded that she would have someone contact me. The person who contacted me was another hiring manager who wanted to do a phone screen for a position he was hiring for. I agreed and that phone screen went poorly due to the new manager asking vague, open ended questions and expecting a specific answer.

Still almost a month later I have not heard a final decision on the first interview. This experience has left me with a very negative perception of Expedia employees and the companies ethics at large. I invested considerable time into the process, friends of mine took time out of their day to talk with Expedia, and I even followed up with all the parties involved. They could not offer the professional courtesy of just a decline or accept email. Based on this experience I would not recommend investing your time into applying for Expedia as they do not respect applicants or the time commitment they require of people. Speaks volumes of how you would be treated if employed there.

Expedia... you need to teach your managers how to be professional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing surprising. Scenario questions. Resume based questions   Answer Question

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Applied online and got a call from HR in a week. Got scheduled for initial phone interview.
    Interview got postponed couple of time but was finally interviewed with a senior database developer. Interview consisted of all basic database questions and my experience working with it.
    Later got scheduled for personal interview at Bellevue HQ. it was 5-6 rounds with team members from different levels.
    round 1 : basic java questions and a programming question to calculate the median of a continuous input of numbers.
    round 2 : This was basically managerial questions with some behavioral question(lunch interview)
    round 3 : Again some oops question with some puzzle to parse a string of strings and pick up integers in each string and display as output. continuous numbers in a string should be displayed a single number. Eg. "3rfg5" output should be 3,5
    34rf8tv output should be 34,8
    round 4: questions again on oops by drawing class diagram and then initializing classes, inheritance etc.
    round 5 : All database questions with focus on all essential database questions, I was asked to write some queries. Also got interviewed on some Cassandra or no sql questions.

Everyone were very friendly and I felt very comfortable.

I was offered the position over a phone call from HR after couple of weeks. The offer looked genuine and good , so accepted.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

The hiring process was very simple and straight forward. I had a phone screen interview and then called onsite for four one-one interview. The interviews was very simple. all related to Java and web concepts and few white board questions. I had interviewed with 4 different teams.
    One of the interviewer was very friendly, he made sure that I was comfortable and if I had to take a break. On the other side.
    one other interviewer was asking me strange questions, I am not sure if he was prepared with all the questions. While I was answering the questions,he was doing some work on his laptop(I am sure not related to the interview). His questions were unconventional and he was himself was not sure what he wants to ask.
    The other two interviews were simple and nothing out of the box questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • There wasnt any difficult questions but there were some unexpected questions by one of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

HR did a phone pre-screen. Was onsite for about 4 -5 hours of technical interviews with fellow engineers, directors, and senior directors. Technical interviews were standard set of questions for the skillset required. Took a while to hear back after the on-site interview - almost a week.

Interview Questions
    • Oddest questions were around how I would solve their current challenges.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

Campus interviews, 1 on 1 with white board coding. Simple problems using Binary search tree traversal and binary search for a scenario. Interviews went well and got invited for onsite interviews at Bellevue HQ. It was challenging and fun; 3 back to back interviews. Two interviewers were fun, while one of them was uptight with hardly a smile. Expedia is quite generous in reimbursing the travel/lodging costs. $75 per day on meals.
    Got the offer within 10 days. The pay rate is the best part, exceeds expectations. The whole process was quick, efficient and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • 1] Given a series of data, cluster it into sub components. It was for a specific use case which was fun to solve. Prepare HashMap well.
      2] Given 2 rectangles, find out the smaller rectangle which is formed by the intersection of the larger rectangles.
      3] Given a 2D matrix filled with 1s and 0s, find out the number of connected components of 1s.
        Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Expedia.

I had an initial phone screening by HR, followed by a phone interview with one manager and then was asked to interview in person. The in-person interview was 4-5 successive 1-hour interviews. This covered both technical questions, test concepts and inter-personal questions. There was a period of 5-10 minutes between interviews when I believe interviewers conferred to determine whether the candidate would continue in the interview process. I felt the interview was professional and my performance met expectations.

Interview Questions
    • In the first interview, the application architecture was explained and diagrammed on a whiteboard. That was all that was said regarding it during that interview; the diagram was erased at the end of that interview. The next interviewer came in and asked me to diagram the application architecture. I was able to recall approximately 90%. I felt this demonstrated whether the candidate listens, learns quickly and is able to comprehend the level of complexity of Expedia's test environments.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in January 2014.

Internal referral, contacted by a recruiter almost immediately. First round phone interview with a developer (typing code into a google doc). Phone interviewer specifically asked me to code in C++, which was unusual since I indicated my preference was Java.

One week later was asked to fly out for an onsite interview (expenses paid). Four interviewers, 45 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • Surprisingly got some pointer math and C++ syntax that I wasn't prepared for.   Answer Question

Compensation, team

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!