Expedia

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very simple and straight forward. I had a phone screen interview and then called onsite for four one-one interview. The interviews was very simple. all related to Java and web concepts and few white board questions. I had interviewed with 4 different teams.
One of the interviewer was very friendly, he made sure that I was comfortable and if I had to take a break. On the other side.
one other interviewer was asking me strange questions, I am not sure if he was prepared with all the questions. While I was answering the questions,he was doing some work on his laptop(I am sure not related to the interview). His questions were unconventional and he was himself was not sure what he wants to ask.
The other two interviews were simple and nothing out of the box questions were asked.

Interview Question – There wasnt any difficult questions but there were some unexpected questions by one of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Database Developer Interview

Database Developer
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call from HR in a week. Got scheduled for initial phone interview.
Interview got postponed couple of time but was finally interviewed with a senior database developer. Interview consisted of all basic database questions and my experience working with it.
Later got scheduled for personal interview at Bellevue HQ. it was 5-6 rounds with team members from different levels.
round 1 : basic java questions and a programming question to calculate the median of a continuous input of numbers.
round 2 : This was basically managerial questions with some behavioral question(lunch interview)
round 3 : Again some oops question with some puzzle to parse a string of strings and pick up integers in each string and display as output. continuous numbers in a string should be displayed a single number. Eg. "3rfg5" output should be 3,5
34rf8tv output should be 34,8
round 4: questions again on oops by drawing class diagram and then initializing classes, inheritance etc.
round 5 : All database questions with focus on all essential database questions, I was asked to write some queries. Also got interviewed on some Cassandra or no sql questions.

Everyone were very friendly and I felt very comfortable.

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position over a phone call from HR after couple of weeks. The offer looked genuine and good , so accepted.

Technical Product Manager Interview

Technical Product Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – Met an HR representative at a hiring fair and talked them through my qualifications and interests. Based on our conversation they said they would pass along my information to a hiring manager they had in mind. The hiring manager emailed me to setup a time for us to talk about my qualifications. The phone interview went very well and Expedia was impressed with my experience. Based on the phone interview they scheduled an in-person interview. Interviewed with 4 people, each for 1 hour. The interviews were challenging and at the same time fun. Interviewers were professional, had great questions, and provided exciting conversations. In fact, my interview actually went long because of the great conversations we had.

The hiring manager told me that she would contact me within 2 weeks about a decision. A few days later I was asked to provide my references. After notifying my references that they would be called soon I sent along their information. Expedia contact 2 out of 4 of the references and the references told me the conversations went well. Then.... complete radio silence from Expedia. No phone call, or email.

Giving it over a week I contacted the HR person and they never responded to 2 emails and a phone call. Contacted the hiring manager and she responded that she would have someone contact me. The person who contacted me was another hiring manager who wanted to do a phone screen for a position he was hiring for. I agreed and that phone screen went poorly due to the new manager asking vague, open ended questions and expecting a specific answer.

Still almost a month later I have not heard a final decision on the first interview. This experience has left me with a very negative perception of Expedia employees and the companies ethics at large. I invested considerable time into the process, friends of mine took time out of their day to talk with Expedia, and I even followed up with all the parties involved. They could not offer the professional courtesy of just a decline or accept email. Based on this experience I would not recommend investing your time into applying for Expedia as they do not respect applicants or the time commitment they require of people. Speaks volumes of how you would be treated if employed there.

Expedia... you need to teach your managers how to be professional.

Interview Question – Nothing surprising. Scenario questions. Resume based questions   Answer Question

Systems Engineer II Interview

Systems Engineer II
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen with recruiter and then depending where you are they fly you out for a full day of interviews and tests. The interviews last all day and you just sit in a room as people rotate in and out asking you the same questions over and over.

Interview Question – It's mostly a personality fit from what I could gather.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's take it or leave it depending who you are.

Senior Interaction Designer Interview

Senior Interaction Designer
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in January 2012.

Interview Details – Full day interviews, that include a portfolio presentation in front of a panel and then individual 1:1 interviews for the rest of the day. One of the 1:1 interviews will be with a group of designers who will give you a design challenge, go out of the room for 20 minutes, then some back and you'll have to present your solution.

Interview Question – Tell me about a case you used data to drive a design decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hard to negotiate, but I was able to go up by a bit from the initial offer.

Director of Communications Interview

Director of Communications
Bellevue, WA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Expedia in July 2013.

Interview Details – A friend referred me to a recruiter. The recruiter called right away and sent me an amazing information packet about the company, the women leaders at the company and philanthropy at Expedia as well as recent press clippings. I then met with the VP that I would be working with and the recruiter. I met the team about a week later. Once I was offered the job the negotiations were very quick. One tip I offer to any women is to remember to negotiate. You can't get a yes if you don't ask.

Interview Question – More of conversation and figuring out if my skill set matched their needs. They didn't lob questions at me. The process did take a while because it was a new position and they had to get the head count. I believe that the entire process took about 3 months.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for more and we met in the middle.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Senior Program Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Expedia in November 2013.

Interview Details – Step 1 - Phone screen with a recruiter. This was a basic 10 minute chat.
Step 2 - Call with Hiring manager. The HM missed our first call which resulted in lost personal time I had used for the interview. Had to reschedule with them.
Step 3 - In person group interview. Met with 7 people at Expedia's office. Overall the experience was disorganized and disappointing. First, they never sent me detail on the JD as I had requested, so I went into the in person interview blind. Second, they bumped up my interview start time by an hour and did not notify me until a couple hours before my interview, which caused me to rush out of my current job and get there in time. Interview was also not set up with the hiring manager, so they had to reschedule some of my sessions so they could fit the manager in. Then, while in the middle of spending the afternoon interviewing they said they were also going to do a couple more phone screens. Very surprised that they couldn't gain the necessary opinions in the time already allotted and this stretched the process out over several more weeks.
Step 4 - Two more phone screens
Never heard back from them. No feedback whatsoever, not even an official decline. In total, invested a lot of personal time over many days for this process and two follow up emails were ignored. I don't mind not getting the job, but a formal notification to close the loop, especially after the negative experience, would have been professional.

Interview Question – Questions were very basic and high level. The question repeated most often was "What is your weakness?"   Answer Question

Manager, Software Development Interview

Manager, Software Development
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Expedia in March 2012.

Interview Details – I knew some folks working at Expedia, so I was interested in joining. I reached-out to them, and talked about a couple positions I found online. I applied online, attached my resume and cover letter, and received a phone call within a couple days.

The interview loop was with 5 people, each for 1 hour; there was a 30 minute "interview free" lunch (lunch provided by Expedia)--this was great benefit to me, as it allowed me to reflect on the first 2 interviews of the loop.

Interview Question – Tell me about the most challenging production issue you've faced.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations weren't difficult. The original offer was pretty good, so there was just 1 negotiation.

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Senior Network Engineer
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – HR did a phone pre-screen. Was onsite for about 4 -5 hours of technical interviews with fellow engineers, directors, and senior directors. Technical interviews were standard set of questions for the skillset required. Took a while to hear back after the on-site interview - almost a week.

Interview Question – Oddest questions were around how I would solve their current challenges.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

Interview Details – Campus interviews, 1 on 1 with white board coding. Simple problems using Binary search tree traversal and binary search for a scenario. Interviews went well and got invited for onsite interviews at Bellevue HQ. It was challenging and fun; 3 back to back interviews. Two interviewers were fun, while one of them was uptight with hardly a smile. Expedia is quite generous in reimbursing the travel/lodging costs. $75 per day on meals.
Got the offer within 10 days. The pay rate is the best part, exceeds expectations. The whole process was quick, efficient and enjoyable.

Interview Question – 1] Given a series of data, cluster it into sub components. It was for a specific use case which was fun to solve. Prepare HashMap well.
2] Given 2 rectangles, find out the smaller rectangle which is formed by the intersection of the larger rectangles.
3] Given a 2D matrix filled with 1s and 0s, find out the number of connected components of 1s.
  Answer Question

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!