Expedia Fraud Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through the company website. It took about two months to hear from the company. Once I did things proceeded quickly. I was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a questionnaire. Then I had a phone interview with a supervisor on the team followed by two phone interviews with my recruiter. After that I was asked to take a three hour online personality, math, and vocabulary test. The results of my phone interviews and test were positive so I was asked to come on-site for 4.5 hours of in person interviews. I met with my recruiter and 4 members of the department each individually. The interviews weren't too difficult and I was asked similar questions to some other applicants on this site. Once I was contacted by HR the whole process has taken about 2.5 weeks, I hear from HR tomorrow if they are making an offer or not.

Interview Questions

• Given a flight path determine if the transaction is fraudulent or not   Answer Question
  • What animal would you be and why?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia

Fraud Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Applied online, a week later I received an email to schedule a phone interview, then had a boring phone interview. The interviewer sounded annoyed from the start, as if he was being forced to talk to me. I later heard that sometimes the positions are already filled but the recruiters are forced to conduct a certain number of interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia (Springfield, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview took 3 hours the questions were general except one question what type of animal would you be and why interview was in November and had not heard anything back it has been going on 2 months

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Overall, this process took about two months.

First, I found a posting on their careers website and e-mailed my resume to their HR department. About a week later, I received a request to fill out a candidate profile, which I submitted later that day. Four or five weeks after that, I did a brief phone interview with a member of the Fraud Analysis team, and was asked to complete a personality profile on a third party website. This profile also contained math and vocabulary portions, and took around three hours for me to complete.

One week after submitting the profile, I received another e-mail from their HR department, this time asking me to provide them with days that I would be available for interviews. I was given an interview date that was one week after that. This interview was three hours long, and consisted of five mini interviews: one that was 15 minutes, and four that were 45 minutes. These were mostly questions about my experience, and a couple containing scenarios based on the everyday transactions the department handles. After completing the interviews, I received a phone call with an offer the following morning.

Interview Questions

• What makes you more qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They presented me with a very good offer, and no negotiations were necessary.

Fraud Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was unique. It was fast, respectful, and easy. I applied through and online advertisement, and withing a few days was contacted by a recruiter asking for a little more information. I submitted a day later, and was then contacted the next day to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview I was told I would hear back regarding a possible online assessment within a week, but got it a few hours later. Filled it out, it was typical behavioral/personality questions followed by a short skills assessment in basic algebra and vocabulary. A few days later I was contacted again to schedule a day of interviews including two onsite and two conference calls. The recruiter was very helpful in making sure they could schedule a time that worked well for me. All the people I met and talked to were friendly, and we had some great Q&A going back and forth about the job. At the end of the last interview, they let me know it would be about a week to hear back. Two days later I received an offer.

Negotiation

The offer I received was very good, no negotiations necessary.

Fraud Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied for a Tax Analyst position to get my foot in the door, but a recruiter contacted me about a Fraud Analyst position several weeks later. I filled out a candidate information form that was forwarded to hiring manager. 1-2 weeks later, a hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview, which was very conversational, and she primarily explained the job. This is a screen to determine if they want to administer an online assessment, which I took the next day. This tests your behavior, math skills, and vocab skills. Then, I was called in for an interview, which consisted of 4 45-minute long interviews with various people within the fraud department.

The first was with a senior analyst, who wanted to determine how analytical I was. I was given a couple transaction examples and was asked what I thought about each. I just told him what I thought stood out about each and why.

The next 3 were with managers and supervisors within the department. They all asked similar questions (to which I gave the same answers 2-3 times) pertaining to behavior and experiences. Honesty is greatly appreciated as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Each interviewer was very friendly, and would help clarify questions that were unclear (I even had the opportunity to correct or alter some of my answers).

I was told I would be given my results in a week, but they contacted me the next day to offer the job. At this point, I am still considering the offer, so I have selected the option "Yes, but I declined" so that this post will go through, although I have not yet decided to accept or decline it.

Interview Questions

• If you could have any credit card data you wanted to conduct analyses on, what would you want and why?   Answer Question
    • What is the key to successful customer service, and why?   Answer Question

I have not yet made an official decision at this time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

I started by applying on the site and listing my inside referral. Two weeks later, the recruiter asked me to complete a cover sheet and send my resume. One month following, the recruiter arranged a phone interview which I completed two days later. There was a delay due to Christmas and New Years, and then the recruiter invited me to an interview. The interview was postponed due to a snow storm, and then scheduled for five and a half hours.

The interview consisted of six parts, of which I completed five. The first interview was with a senior fraud analyst who introduced the company culture and work-life philosophy. I found the work-life philosophy irrelevant since this job does not have enough projects to justify an explanation of when to stop. The remainder was helpful to understand current projects and expectations. The most encouraging aspect of this department's performance management was that there is a six month curve to meet job expectations.

The second interview was with two senior analysts who wanted to challenge my way of thinking. I found this the most insightsful to the processes of this department and how it compared to my experience.

I used the insights I learned in that interview in my next which was with a manager. He asked me about my job experience which allowed me to tie in what I learned. I ended by asking him about technology changes which made him stumble, if only slightly.

My last interview was with a manager and senuor analyst. Most questions were about conflict and navigating gray areas of procedure.

My final interview with the hiring manager was cancelled due to his illness.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine the legitimacy of a transaction?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle work-life balance?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Following the interview I sent thank you cards to all of my interviewers, the ill hiring manager, and the HR staff. I did not negotiate based on the other reviews on this site. I accepted the offer based on my previous slary, which I disclosed. I advise others to disclose their salaries, since Expedia will do theird best to raise the bar.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in November 2009.

Interview

The interview process began with an initial phone screening (about 1 hour), followed by a skills/intelligence test to ensure that the analyst knows basic math and reading (1.5 to 2.5 hours), as well as a personality test (1-2 hours). After quite some time had elapsed (by this I mean weeks), HR called you for an in-person interview with 4 staff members (this was conducted 1:1); during my interview this consisted of the fraud manager, two other managers within the department, and a senior level fraud analyst. Overall, this took about 4 hours. The interviews asked you basic interview questions as well as interview questions that would be relevant to the job at hand. If you know your stuff and know how to market your skills, this should be relatively easy, but overall this was a rather intense and time-consuming interview process.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer did a small test during the interview in which the interviewee would have to determine, among a series of "flight paths and customer information," which "purchases" were fraudulent.   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was very little room to negotiate, even writing a formal counter-offer letter.