Expedia

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Expedia

Interview Details – I applied for a Tax Analyst position to get my foot in the door, but a recruiter contacted me about a Fraud Analyst position several weeks later. I filled out a candidate information form that was forwarded to hiring manager. 1-2 weeks later, a hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview, which was very conversational, and she primarily explained the job. This is a screen to determine if they want to administer an online assessment, which I took the next day. This tests your behavior, math skills, and vocab skills. Then, I was called in for an interview, which consisted of 4 45-minute long interviews with various people within the fraud department.

The first was with a senior analyst, who wanted to determine how analytical I was. I was given a couple transaction examples and was asked what I thought about each. I just told him what I thought stood out about each and why.

The next 3 were with managers and supervisors within the department. They all asked similar questions (to which I gave the same answers 2-3 times) pertaining to behavior and experiences. Honesty is greatly appreciated as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Each interviewer was very friendly, and would help clarify questions that were unclear (I even had the opportunity to correct or alter some of my answers).

I was told I would be given my results in a week, but they contacted me the next day to offer the job. At this point, I am still considering the offer, so I have selected the option "Yes, but I declined" so that this post will go through, although I have not yet decided to accept or decline it.

Interview Questions

• If you could have any credit card data you wanted to conduct analyses on, what would you want and why?   Answer Question
  • What is the key to successful customer service, and why?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I have not yet made an official decision at this time.

Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Expedia in February 2012.

Interview Details – I started by applying on the site and listing my inside referral. Two weeks later, the recruiter asked me to complete a cover sheet and send my resume. One month following, the recruiter arranged a phone interview which I completed two days later. There was a delay due to Christmas and New Years, and then the recruiter invited me to an interview. The interview was postponed due to a snow storm, and then scheduled for five and a half hours.

The interview consisted of six parts, of which I completed five. The first interview was with a senior fraud analyst who introduced the company culture and work-life philosophy. I found the work-life philosophy irrelevant since this job does not have enough projects to justify an explanation of when to stop. The remainder was helpful to understand current projects and expectations. The most encouraging aspect of this department's performance management was that there is a six month curve to meet job expectations.

The second interview was with two senior analysts who wanted to challenge my way of thinking. I found this the most insightsful to the processes of this department and how it compared to my experience.

I used the insights I learned in that interview in my next which was with a manager. He asked me about my job experience which allowed me to tie in what I learned. I ended by asking him about technology changes which made him stumble, if only slightly.

My last interview was with a manager and senuor analyst. Most questions were about conflict and navigating gray areas of procedure.

My final interview with the hiring manager was cancelled due to his illness.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine the legitimacy of a transaction?   View Answer
  • How do you handle work-life balance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Following the interview I sent thank you cards to all of my interviewers, the ill hiring manager, and the HR staff. I did not negotiate based on the other reviews on this site. I accepted the offer based on my previous slary, which I disclosed. I advise others to disclose their salaries, since Expedia will do theird best to raise the bar.

Bellevue, WA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Expedia in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process began with an initial phone screening (about 1 hour), followed by a skills/intelligence test to ensure that the analyst knows basic math and reading (1.5 to 2.5 hours), as well as a personality test (1-2 hours). After quite some time had elapsed (by this I mean weeks), HR called you for an in-person interview with 4 staff members (this was conducted 1:1); during my interview this consisted of the fraud manager, two other managers within the department, and a senior level fraud analyst. Overall, this took about 4 hours. The interviews asked you basic interview questions as well as interview questions that would be relevant to the job at hand. If you know your stuff and know how to market your skills, this should be relatively easy, but overall this was a rather intense and time-consuming interview process.

Interview Question – The interviewer did a small test during the interview in which the interviewee would have to determine, among a series of "flight paths and customer information," which "purchases" were fraudulent.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There was very little room to negotiate, even writing a formal counter-offer letter.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!