Expedia

283 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – The HR called me and said my salary expectation is high. So, I said, "Ok, as long as the company provides growth opportunities within the company, I am interested in the position". She told me, "We are not interested in hiring someone that has an eye on the next level"!! This is the first time a HR personnel has told me that looking to grow within the company for the long term is not right!!

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Question – 1. Reverse a string.
2. Remove duplicates in a string.
3. Lots of queries involving JOINs.
4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very simple and straight forward. I had a phone screen interview and then called onsite for four one-one interview. The interviews was very simple. all related to Java and web concepts and few white board questions. I had interviewed with 4 different teams.
One of the interviewer was very friendly, he made sure that I was comfortable and if I had to take a break. On the other side.
one other interviewer was asking me strange questions, I am not sure if he was prepared with all the questions. While I was answering the questions,he was doing some work on his laptop(I am sure not related to the interview). His questions were unconventional and he was himself was not sure what he wants to ask.
The other two interviews were simple and nothing out of the box questions were asked.

Interview Question – There wasnt any difficult questions but there were some unexpected questions by one of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Fraud Analyst Interview

Fraud Analyst

Interviewed at Expedia

Interview Details – I applied for a Tax Analyst position to get my foot in the door, but a recruiter contacted me about a Fraud Analyst position several weeks later. I filled out a candidate information form that was forwarded to hiring manager. 1-2 weeks later, a hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview, which was very conversational, and she primarily explained the job. This is a screen to determine if they want to administer an online assessment, which I took the next day. This tests your behavior, math skills, and vocab skills. Then, I was called in for an interview, which consisted of 4 45-minute long interviews with various people within the fraud department.

The first was with a senior analyst, who wanted to determine how analytical I was. I was given a couple transaction examples and was asked what I thought about each. I just told him what I thought stood out about each and why.

The next 3 were with managers and supervisors within the department. They all asked similar questions (to which I gave the same answers 2-3 times) pertaining to behavior and experiences. Honesty is greatly appreciated as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Each interviewer was very friendly, and would help clarify questions that were unclear (I even had the opportunity to correct or alter some of my answers).

I was told I would be given my results in a week, but they contacted me the next day to offer the job. At this point, I am still considering the offer, so I have selected the option "Yes, but I declined" so that this post will go through, although I have not yet decided to accept or decline it.

Interview Questions

• If you could have any credit card data you wanted to conduct analyses on, what would you want and why?   Answer Question
  • What is the key to successful customer service, and why?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I have not yet made an official decision at this time.

Market Associate Interview

Market Associate

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in September 2011.

Interview Details – 6 Face-to-face interview, 1 phone screen interview. Plan to spend an entire day doing interviews back-to-back. Some of them are definitely more challenging than others, but overall, fairly easy questions. There may be a component where someone asks you to demonstrate your Excel skills, so be prepared to discuss and possibly demonstrate.

Negotiation Details – Always attempt to negotiate, however, they are not likely to give you more than what is offered

Software Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Engineer In Test (SDET)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Expedia in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. After few days the recruiter informed me that I had been selected for onsite screening and we arranged the date of the interview. The onsite interview was 5 rounds and it's was of average difficulties

Interview Question – most of the problems are of average difficulty   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiated on the salary and sign on bonus

Database Developer Interview

Database Developer
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call from HR in a week. Got scheduled for initial phone interview.
Interview got postponed couple of time but was finally interviewed with a senior database developer. Interview consisted of all basic database questions and my experience working with it.
Later got scheduled for personal interview at Bellevue HQ. it was 5-6 rounds with team members from different levels.
round 1 : basic java questions and a programming question to calculate the median of a continuous input of numbers.
round 2 : This was basically managerial questions with some behavioral question(lunch interview)
round 3 : Again some oops question with some puzzle to parse a string of strings and pick up integers in each string and display as output. continuous numbers in a string should be displayed a single number. Eg. "3rfg5" output should be 3,5
34rf8tv output should be 34,8
round 4: questions again on oops by drawing class diagram and then initializing classes, inheritance etc.
round 5 : All database questions with focus on all essential database questions, I was asked to write some queries. Also got interviewed on some Cassandra or no sql questions.

Everyone were very friendly and I felt very comfortable.

Negotiation Details – I was offered the position over a phone call from HR after couple of weeks. The offer looked genuine and good , so accepted.

Technical Product Manager Interview

Technical Product Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – Met an HR representative at a hiring fair and talked them through my qualifications and interests. Based on our conversation they said they would pass along my information to a hiring manager they had in mind. The hiring manager emailed me to setup a time for us to talk about my qualifications. The phone interview went very well and Expedia was impressed with my experience. Based on the phone interview they scheduled an in-person interview. Interviewed with 4 people, each for 1 hour. The interviews were challenging and at the same time fun. Interviewers were professional, had great questions, and provided exciting conversations. In fact, my interview actually went long because of the great conversations we had.

The hiring manager told me that she would contact me within 2 weeks about a decision. A few days later I was asked to provide my references. After notifying my references that they would be called soon I sent along their information. Expedia contact 2 out of 4 of the references and the references told me the conversations went well. Then.... complete radio silence from Expedia. No phone call, or email.

Giving it over a week I contacted the HR person and they never responded to 2 emails and a phone call. Contacted the hiring manager and she responded that she would have someone contact me. The person who contacted me was another hiring manager who wanted to do a phone screen for a position he was hiring for. I agreed and that phone screen went poorly due to the new manager asking vague, open ended questions and expecting a specific answer.

Still almost a month later I have not heard a final decision on the first interview. This experience has left me with a very negative perception of Expedia employees and the companies ethics at large. I invested considerable time into the process, friends of mine took time out of their day to talk with Expedia, and I even followed up with all the parties involved. They could not offer the professional courtesy of just a decline or accept email. Based on this experience I would not recommend investing your time into applying for Expedia as they do not respect applicants or the time commitment they require of people. Speaks volumes of how you would be treated if employed there.

Expedia... you need to teach your managers how to be professional.

Interview Question – Nothing surprising. Scenario questions. Resume based questions   Answer Question

Tier III Customer Service Interview

Tier III Customer Service
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. I got a call from the HR to follow up if i received the email for a Job fair invitation which I didnt so the person on the phone offered to resend the email. She waited patiently to check if it went through, upon my confirmation she asked me to to go through it and confirm my availability and desired time of interview by email. She was really helpful and accomodating.

Attended the job fair with 5other applicants. We were taken to the conference room to watch a quick introductory video about the company by the HR manager, benefits and perks were discussed aswell as an overview of the position applied for. After the film show, i was invited to 2sets of one on one interview. Questions was basic about my work experience with hig emphasize on customer service and conflict resolutions.

I was then taken to the computer room to do quick test on navigating skills which is easy for anyone who is familiar with basic computer and internet.

Market Associate Interview

Market Associate
Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was College Recruited. I talked to the person at a stand with the Expedia logo he then offered me an initial interview of 20-25 people. moved to next round of interviews with 2 others and flown to closest office in a different city. 5 Hours of Interviews with 5 different people regarding different topics of discussion.

Interview Question – We run a 95% Hotel Occ. rate. why would we want to work with you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – College recruiter worked with me to get moving benefits and salary levels.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!