Expedia

Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Expedia.

Went in for in person 5 face to face interviews. Two of them non technical. Three technical interviews which included on design session. Interview with hiring manager was also technical but he was pretty rude. I am glad I dint get the offer , I wouldn't want to work for him

Lodging Operations Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia.

Process started out smooth and fast, yet evolved into a delayed mess over a period of 2 months. Constant schedule changes and last minute interviewers constantly rescheduled their availability. Communication with recruiter was horrific and often emails and calls were unreturned for many, many days. Went through the entire interview process only to find out the position had already been filled about a few days before, even when HR/Recruiter was STILL CONTINUING the interview process. Total and absolute nonsense and a total waste of time. A few of the interviewers also didn't seem to excited to conduct their interview, with often some of them saying "Well I don't have much to ask you so..." and the interview would consist of questions that don't really let you talk about anything pertinent to the job. Nonsense.

Expedia claims their interview process is quick, but don't pay attention to that. As others have noted here, it can take forever and often you won't get anywhere. And yes, the stories here of people having to chase down their recruiter just for a response or clarification on something is true If you are undergoing the interview process with Expedia, be prepared to WAIT and WAIT.

Overall, horrible experience and a waste of time. Don't count on Expedia being your only hope, continue interviewing with many other companies while interviewing with Expedia.

*Interview process usually consists of an email from recruiter, followed by a phone screen, then about 4 or 5 interviews either in person or over the phone with several different people relating to your position.

Interview Questions
    • Depends where you are in the interview process, but usually they are open-ended and that is assuming the person interviewing you is remotely interested in doing their job properly.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Expedia.

- It was pretty quick! Very impressed! Got a phone screen by HR followed by phone screen by Hiring Manager in just 2 days. Got Invited for a half-day interview session - all of this within a week! The day after the on site interview, they had an offer ready.
    - I got an offer from another company which suited my career goals better so I declined this offer but I was super impressed with their HR process!

Interview Questions
    • pretty straightforward. They had some hands-on questions too which were lot of fun!   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Expedia in February 2015.

I applied on career fair. During the career fair they asked me a question and I got an on campus interview. The recruiter is nice, so is the interviewer. There's no self-introduction. The interviewer asked one algorithm question and let me ask a question. The entire time is about forty minutes.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Expedia in February 2015.

1 hour interview. Asked question about finding anagrams. Another question on designing a food ordering system. Overall, the interviewer was nice and gave hints when i am stuck. Look at previous interview experience to get a better idea. If you pass this interview, you will get flied over for an on-site interview.

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Typical phone screen followed by 5 in person interviews. True to recruiting's word they entire process was pretty quick. They came back with an offer within a week of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Towers of Hanoi. This wasn't hard but it wasn't real world either. I'd expected an actual business domain relevant problem for a senior level position.   Answer Question
    No. I mentioned vacation was short and HR said sorry that's not negotiable.

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Expedia.

About a 3 week wait in between offer and start date. Everyone was kind. Had a recruiting Interview then 2 screening interviews with people in the same position. Then interviewed with the 4 people I'd be working with. Offer within 3 week. Started 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    They made an offer. I said I was delighted but would like to se a bit more, would the be able to meet me at $2k more, and they agreed :-)

Market Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

I was recruited through LinkedIn. I had two interviews with recruiters and 3 interviews with senior management. They call you back really fast, but job description is very vague and you really have no idea what you will be doing until you start the job. Some personality questions and lots of skill questions. They were very accommodating on interview time. I was living in another city at that time so all "in person" interviews were conducted in Skype, with the exception of the last one where the senior manager happened to be in the city.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach a top earning hotel whose RMD has been decreasing dramatically year over year?   Answer Question
    Not much room to negotiate on salary, but I did got a signing bonus. Benefits non negotiable but it's on par with market.

Program Manager II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in January 2015.

I had a phone screen with the recruiter, hiring manager, and engineering manager. Expedia flew me in in, booked a hotel and a driver. I spent the day talking about operations, agile, imaginary applications and football. The next day recruiter said everyone was thrilled and the described the offer over the phone the next day (verbal, I said to send it over).

After not receiving a written offer for two days I decided to expedite negotiating by making a counter on the base salary that was mentioned. My logic was my current salary had been used as a factor in calculating the current offer. By that valuation my salary is a year old and I have an upcoming pay increase so I suggested I was worth what I was countering. I wish I had a transcript of what happened next.

Recruiter: "How can you not understand cost of living?"

Cost of living was clearly an important selling point in the offer but I gave some examples of how it can be misleading.

Recruiter: "I don't understand how you don't understand cost of living."

I said I just wanted to make sure that cost of living wasn't the only determination, that I would be getting market rate regardless of where I was moving from or what my prior salary was which I did not have to disclose.

Recruiter: "I don't appreciate that you are insinuating we are trying to low ball you."

Recruiter: "I mentioned your counter to the team and they consider this a red flag."

I had to remind the recruiter that we were just discussing the offer, not a big deal.

Recruiter: "If we accept your counter you would be making more than your peers."

Recruiter: "Well, are you accepting the offer?"

I said I would accept (this conversation not withstanding) but also pointed out that the offer was below the salary range I had indicated in my candidate profile at the beginning of the process. If that range was an issue we should have discussed it right from the start.

The recruiter called back to tell me offer was later rescinded.

Besides the fact that there was no formal offer, this was the most amazing, unprofessional turn of events I have ever experienced with a recruiter or anyone else in a job setting. I have never had a counter--one that was very reasonable and thoughtful--handled like this. I have a masters degree and 14 years of engineering experience and to be insulted, to carry on as if I did not grasp cost of living (of course I had done all the cost of living calculations) really shows what Expedia thinks of candidates or employees.

Counter offers are nothing personal, especially if the initial offer is not overwhelming or is based on disclosed salary or dubious concepts. What matters is how much are you worth to the company if the company had no prior knowledge of your location or salary. This is market rate. But I have no regrets. I passed eight hours of interviews with six different people. I have no problem if the recruiter blows up over counter offer. That too is part of the candidate interviewing the company. This is not the place for me.

Interview Questions

Could not answer simple questions about how the compensation was calculated.

Expedia Response

Feb 4, 2015Team Expedia

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you were unhappy with your recent interview experience. Expedia recruits and successfully hires thousands of employees each year in the US and around the ... More

Software Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia in January 2015.

I got a on-campus interview at the career fair at school, which is the second day of the fair. The question is not very difficult but it was my first interview so I screwed up and didn't consider all edge cases throughly. Took me too long to solve the problem basically because I made some mistakes and had to correct them one by one.

Interview Questions
    • reverse the words in a string, put the white spaces as it is. For example, "a cat goes to the market" changes to "a tac seog ot eht tekram"   View Answer