Expedia Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2014
291 interviews

3.1

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Process took a little over 4 weeks. Had an intial call with the recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. Simple straight forward online coding on collabedit-like-environment. Led to an onsite call.

Onsite interview was a little different than the others . Did pretty well and interacted with the team . But sadly no offer was given or any feedback regarding how the interview went too.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected . Although it was pretty challenging. Signed an NDA so cannot disclose more details   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

I was contacted via an Expedia recruiter asking if I was open and looking for new opportunities. I said yes, and we got the ball rolling.

Phone Screen:
    The first was a technical phone screen, nothing new here. I was asked about things on my resume for the first 30 minutes and then had a technical question for the last 30 minutes.

I got a callback the next morning asking for an on campus interview. The recruiter and I emailed back and forth and scheduled an interview for the next week. A recruiting coordinator emailed me to confirm and gave me a schedule of who I was interviewing with and the times.

On Campus Interview:
    I was scheduled for 5 different interviews back to back. When I arrived and checked in, I was given a packet with my interview schedule and nice articles about what a great company Expedia is. I hadn't noticed until later that my list of interviewers had slightly changed (will be relevant later).

First and second interviewer were normal, asking me about my resume and then there were some technical questions.

My third interviewer was 30 minutes, (he wasn't on my original interviewer list so I assumed he got the notice last minute), but because of that it pushed my next interviews shorter and later as well. I believe since this interviewer wasn't prepared he gave me a technical problem that I thought was a little hard for a technical interview. (String permutation, I have made additional comments below about it).

The fourth and fifth interviews went as normal as they could after.

My fifth interviewer had told me I would receive a response within 3 days, unfortunately (as I expected), I had not heard anything in a week. It was only after I had emailed the recruiter again that she got back to me, saying that it was a no.

Interview Questions
    • Find all the permutations of a string.   View Answer

Revenue Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in March 2012.

I was contacted by email 3/21/12 by a recruiter about the Revenue Specialist position I applied online for in order to schedule a phone interview. The recruiter gave me a list of nine questions to answer like contact information, salary expectations, what are your greatest strengths, what makes me a good match for this role along with sending an updated resume/cover letter. On 3/22 I replied to the email with all the requested information. On 3/24 I was leaving out of the country without cell service for the entire following week. When I returned I emailed the recruiter verifying she received my information and making sure I didn’t miss any contact attempts she may have made. Then I received an automatic response stating her last day for Expedia was 3/23 and there was a new point of contact. I was thinking why would you have a recruiter start the interviewing process that was leaving the company in a couple days but I set my concerns aside and emailed the new recruiter.

I contacted the new recruiter and he sent me the same email the initial recruiter sent me with the 9 questions. I was curious on why the new recruiter did not get all the information on the candidates from the previous recruiter. It wasn’t a big deal, and I forwarded my answers to him that same day. A week and a half went by and I emailed the recruiter to verify he received my email. He responded he received everything and he is “sorting out things”. I never heard from Expedia again.

Maybe I got interviewed at a hectic time but my experience with Expedia was unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult but then again I only got the prescreening questions before the phone interview.

What makes you an effective team member?
        Answer Question

GC3 T2 Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in July 2014.

I had four interviews, each more messed up than the first. First off, the first interviewer was late, and spent more time apologizing than actually asking questions. We went over a bit, but then the next person was also late. Last minute change, but the last two interviews were to be handled by conference call, but the I.T. guy couldn't figure out to get the Avaya system to work, to which he then told me they may call me by phone. Good thing I was being considerate and just turned it completely off. Then the first phone interviewer kind of complained about having to call me three times. He was fine after I explained this was news to me, and that I turned it off so as not to distract me. Overall the third interview went ok, and onto the final interview, also over the phone, and she was very nice. But lo and behold, the HR person barges in while we were speaking, and she wants me to mention to the person I'm speaking with that she is in the room. At that point I figured she was more than just rude, but that they had already made their mind up. But trying to ask a couple of questions, the HR person would just interject "yeah, uh huh, yup". Pretty freaking rude, especially for an HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical, scenario based stuff, what have I worked with, how would you deal with such and such.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Expedia.

The HR called me and said my salary expectation is high. So, I said, "Ok, as long as the company provides growth opportunities within the company, I am interested in the position". She told me, "We are not interested in hiring someone that has an eye on the next level"!! This is the first time a HR personnel has told me that looking to grow within the company for the long term is not right!!

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Reverse a string.
      2. Remove duplicates in a string.
      3. Lots of queries involving JOINs.
      4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.
        Answer Question

Market Associate Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in September 2011.

6 Face-to-face interview, 1 phone screen interview. Plan to spend an entire day doing interviews back-to-back. Some of them are definitely more challenging than others, but overall, fairly easy questions. There may be a component where someone asks you to demonstrate your Excel skills, so be prepared to discuss and possibly demonstrate.

Always attempt to negotiate, however, they are not likely to give you more than what is offered

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

The hiring process was very simple and straight forward. I had a phone screen interview and then called onsite for four one-one interview. The interviews was very simple. all related to Java and web concepts and few white board questions. I had interviewed with 4 different teams.
    One of the interviewer was very friendly, he made sure that I was comfortable and if I had to take a break. On the other side.
    one other interviewer was asking me strange questions, I am not sure if he was prepared with all the questions. While I was answering the questions,he was doing some work on his laptop(I am sure not related to the interview). His questions were unconventional and he was himself was not sure what he wants to ask.
    The other two interviews were simple and nothing out of the box questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • There wasnt any difficult questions but there were some unexpected questions by one of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Market Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in December 2013.

I was College Recruited. I talked to the person at a stand with the Expedia logo he then offered me an initial interview of 20-25 people. moved to next round of interviews with 2 others and flown to closest office in a different city. 5 Hours of Interviews with 5 different people regarding different topics of discussion.

Interview Questions
    • We run a 95% Hotel Occ. rate. why would we want to work with you?   View Answer
    College recruiter worked with me to get moving benefits and salary levels.

Fraud Analyst Interview

I applied for a Tax Analyst position to get my foot in the door, but a recruiter contacted me about a Fraud Analyst position several weeks later. I filled out a candidate information form that was forwarded to hiring manager. 1-2 weeks later, a hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview, which was very conversational, and she primarily explained the job. This is a screen to determine if they want to administer an online assessment, which I took the next day. This tests your behavior, math skills, and vocab skills. Then, I was called in for an interview, which consisted of 4 45-minute long interviews with various people within the fraud department.

The first was with a senior analyst, who wanted to determine how analytical I was. I was given a couple transaction examples and was asked what I thought about each. I just told him what I thought stood out about each and why.

The next 3 were with managers and supervisors within the department. They all asked similar questions (to which I gave the same answers 2-3 times) pertaining to behavior and experiences. Honesty is greatly appreciated as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Each interviewer was very friendly, and would help clarify questions that were unclear (I even had the opportunity to correct or alter some of my answers).

I was told I would be given my results in a week, but they contacted me the next day to offer the job. At this point, I am still considering the offer, so I have selected the option "Yes, but I declined" so that this post will go through, although I have not yet decided to accept or decline it.

Interview Questions
    • If you could have any credit card data you wanted to conduct analyses on, what would you want and why?   Answer Question
    • What is the key to successful customer service, and why?   Answer Question

I have not yet made an official decision at this time.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!