Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

Network Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Submitted a resume online. Got a response back from a recruiter a couple of weeks later. Scheduled a phone call - recruiter never called. Gave them another shot when the recruiter reached out to me almost 2 weeks after that - recruiter was more than 30 minutes late calling. If not for the fact the company was so short a commute, I would have ended it there. I probably should have.

I come in for a face-to-face. I meet the manager, he seems OK. We have a good conversation. At this stage, I'm scheduled for lunch, which they said they would cater for me. I sit in that interview room for almost 40 minutes, no food. Someone comes in and asks me if I'm done eating, to which I mention I Haven't even seen a mint yet. They say they'll go look. I never see them again.

I have a technical interview with one of the senior engineers. Well, sort of. It was more a game of stump the chump where he basically asked a bunch of theorycraft questions that one will never encounter in the real world and seemed to exist solely to help him validate his own skillset. I'm annoyed, but do a good job of masking it and power through it. My 3rd interviewer never even showed up. The 4th interviewer (a people manager of some sort who wasn't even with the networking group) and I had a good conversation, but I get the distinct impression that she was just randomly sent in to talk to me for an hour, because she had no real data on the job I was in there for.

I leave and resolve to turn down any offer that comes in, if any. Radio silence. Then, 2 weeks later, I get this automated survey asking me how my interview process went (keep in mind I never received any sort of follow up one way or another). It was more than a little bit of a joke, this whole process.

Talking with other network specialists in my area, the consensus seems to be that Expedia loves to interview people for roles they're never actually going to fill, roles they're going to move to another part of the country/world where the pay is cheaper, or roles that they are going to pull. They have no respect for a candidate's time, so you should not give them yours.

As for me? I interviewed with 7 companies over 2 weeks, and received 5 offers. So pretty sure it wasn't me.

Interview Questions

• The network guy asked a lot of questions about multicasting.   1 Answer

Content Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

45-minute phone interview with content team manager, followed by 1-hour interview on-site with content team manager and another content editor. The interview was very personable and seemed to be more about finding out about my personality and whether I could handle the type of work and volume of the work than finding out about my experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle it if you were on the phone with someone who spoke English as a second language and you couldn't understand them very well?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Interview

I applied online and was e-mailed within a few days with a request for scheduling a phone interview. After a few e-mail exchanges we settled on a day and time. The time requested was for an hour and a half block which I found excessive however, agreed to. The day and the time agreed upon came and went. I called the recruiter, left a v-mail reminding her of our agreed upon meeting, sent an e-mail and later that day sent a second e-mail asking if we would be rescheduling. I never heard back. I am beyond offended by the lack of courtesy and with the amount of time I wasted waiting for an e-mail, a callback, anything to change my perception of unproffesionalism I experienced from Expedia's business practices. If a candidate was found for this role, why wouldn't that be communicated?! We are adults here- or so I thought. Terrible experience.

Information Technology Administrative Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very kind interviewers, made me feel important and were very respectful. Typical interview questions, one on one is nice because it can be pretty personal. Many behavioral questions, they are trying to get to you know and your thoughts, be sure to be honest and give examples. Be yourself and don't try to be something you are not and I'm sure it will go well.

Interview Questions

• I'm going to honor the NDA, but some questions about tough situations at work and how to get through them, is the best I can give :)   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

HR Rep was not timely in follow-up from the beginning. From delay in scheduling a initial interview, to being late to agreed interview. Phone interview itself was relatively short, around 15 min.

Interview Questions

• What is a key factor when looking at hotels performance?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

30 minutes with recruiter, then 30 minutes with hiring manager, then 30 minutes with director. If you pass these, you get to interview in the company headquarters. When you’re invited to their offices you’re been interviewed by six different people. From the recruiters to the team everyone was very nice and professional. They weren’t trying to stress you out but to really get to know you & how your experience can work with the job specific requirements. Described the culture as “laid back” and agile oriented. The whole process was very quick, and they let you know very quickly if you move on to the next stage.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had 1 telephonic round followed by onsite interview.Had 5 interviews with team.I met with two Sr SDE and 2 SDE II and finally with Director.The developers focused on technical skills. Including asking me to white board code examples.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions
      1st interview Sr SDE
      class Node{ int nodeId,int nodeParentId} is given.
      Input : List<Node>
      Output:Tree

2nd Interview SDE
      Design TIC TAC TOE problem

3rd Interview SDE II Lunch interview
      1.Move all zeros to beginning input {1,2,3,0,0,0,4,5} output {0,0,0,1,2,3,4,5}
      2. Given an int[] multiply all numbers except index I/p {1,2,3,4} O/P {24,12,8,6}

4th Interview SDE II
      Log file contains UserId.Every day has new log file.Given range of n days find top 10 users?

5th Interview Director tech
      Asked two puzzles
      1.3 bulbs and switch board outside room.Find which switch belongs to which bulb in one pass

2.10 Bags with 100 gold coins each. Each coin weighs 10 gms in 9 bags and each coin weighs 9 gms in one bag find out which bag has coins of 9 gms in one weight?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in May 2015.

Interview

Though I am yet to hear the final decision from them, here is the process what has happened so far. I came across the open position on Linkedin job search and applied on the company website.

A technical recruiter called me and had a few minutes discussion. It was more like a "get to know" discussion and after it, she scheduled a formal technical telephonic interview the next week where in the interviewer discussed with me for about 40 minutes over Skype. It was just like any other interview where it started where he asked me to take him through the resume and I did. Then he started asking specific questions on my experience and it went so on.

Interview Questions

• How do you process millions of Oracle AP Invoices ? What is the most efficient way ?   1 Answer
    • If a Payment Process Request is stuck, how do you automate it to run with out human intervention   1 Answer
    • What is the best possible way to avoid dead locks in concurrent programs that has several DML statements in it.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Recruiter called: set up phone screen, had another conversation, brought in for a full interview loop. Recruiter for the legal group said she would email information never did, said she would follow up with feedback never did. Even if I was offered a role, I would not accept it if this is how the recruiting legal team works, I have never interviewed and not gotten feedback, this is very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions: on role, what I do what they want   Answer Question

Market Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denmark, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Denmark, SC) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied via internet. Than I got an email back asking for a interview via tel. It was about 30 min. Then I got a interwiew with the local manager week later. Then a phone interview with a another associate and a meeting. And was then called to be offered the job. Process about 4 weeks in total.

Interview Questions

• If a non satisfied customer would contact you how would I precede. What are your wishes for salary? Have you been in the situation that was hard and how did you manage? If the day is caotic how would you go about it? Who are u as a person, describe? How do you work with your weaknesses? How are you with tech? Are u independent? Are u social, what do you do in your free time? What are your motivations? What would you do if a hotel wants to be without a contract for some period of time, during high season? How did you find out about this job? What do you know about Expedia?   Answer Question