Expedia

Updated Jan 20, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Typical phone screen followed by 5 in person interviews. True to recruiting's word they entire process was pretty quick. They came back with an offer within a week of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Towers of Hanoi. This wasn't hard but it wasn't real world either. I'd expected an actual business domain relevant problem for a senior level position.   Answer Question
    No. I mentioned vacation was short and HR said sorry that's not negotiable.

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Expedia.

About a 3 week wait in between offer and start date. Everyone was kind. Had a recruiting Interview then 2 screening interviews with people in the same position. Then interviewed with the 4 people I'd be working with. Offer within 3 week. Started 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions
    They made an offer. I said I was delighted but would like to se a bit more, would the be able to meet me at $2k more, and they agreed :-)

Market Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

I was recruited through LinkedIn. I had two interviews with recruiters and 3 interviews with senior management. They call you back really fast, but job description is very vague and you really have no idea what you will be doing until you start the job. Some personality questions and lots of skill questions. They were very accommodating on interview time. I was living in another city at that time so all "in person" interviews were conducted in Skype, with the exception of the last one where the senior manager happened to be in the city.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach a top earning hotel whose RMD has been decreasing dramatically year over year?   Answer Question
    Not much room to negotiate on salary, but I did got a signing bonus. Benefits non negotiable but it's on par with market.

Lodging Support Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia in January 2015.

I applied online through a staffing agency. The process was very quick and got called for an interview a week later.
    Normally I get really nervous when it comes to interviews but when I got there the atmosphere and the people were so welcoming that I had no reason not to.
    So the interviewer came out shortly after my arrival with a professional but laid back demeanor. The interview had a total of about 10 rather simple questions and listened to live phone calls.

Web Development Interview

Just did a technical screen by recruiter after 3 days of applying the job. The phone interview was easy. Haven't got chance to do a real interview with Expedia yet.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult thing for me is to understand recruiter's English speaking through his India accent. No offense, I am just not familiar with foreign accent yet.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

One phone screen followed by on site "loop." I interviewed with a total of 5 people over the course of 4 hours. I met with a senior leader, the hiring manager, and three other developers. The developers focused on technical skills. Including asking me to white board code examples. The managers gave overviews of the group and asked more of the "tell me about a time when" type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were several algorithmic questions in the technical sessions. I do not recall a specific one   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate an additional 5%+ to the base salary.

Fraud Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia.

Applied online, a week later I received an email to schedule a phone interview, then had a boring phone interview. The interviewer sounded annoyed from the start, as if he was being forced to talk to me. I later heard that sometimes the positions are already filled but the recruiters are forced to conduct a certain number of interviews.

BI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Process was standard for the industry. Contacted by recruiter to provide additional information, phone screen with the hiring manager and then brought in for a day to interview with a wide range of folks. Planning by HR was a little off - the interview was pushed back and I wasn't notified, confusion over where the interview would take place etc, though they were very nice and gave me some tips before the actual interview started. Sat in a window-less tiny space while five different folks came and asked essentially the same sets of character questions. Not really any technical type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult technical questions. Walked through a business case of measuring and improving adwords profit, though the job was more on reporting.   Answer Question

Position wasn't a great fit for me and felt the department was a high-stress / low-reward type of environment.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia in December 2014.

I applied though their career site. A recruiter contacted me after 2 weeks, and scheduled a phone screen. Initial questions were towards my projects and previous roles. Then he jumped in to a coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string with multiple lines, find and print the most frequent character for each line. If there is a tie in a given line, i.e, if 2 characters occur the most in that line, then print the one that comes first in the alphabetical order.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in December 2014.

I applied online and have had an employee referral pushing on it, 8 days after I had a mail of the HR with a document to send back, a phone interview (20min) with the HR 12 days after, a second interview (30min) 1 day after with one of the manager and then a negative answer 13 days after.
    I worked hard on the document, here are some of the questions:
    - Why are you interested in working for Expedia, Inc. and most specifically Egencia, an Expedia, Inc. Company?
    - Based on your current knowledge of the role - why do you feel you would be successful in the Sr. Marketing Communications Manager role - specifically outlining your experience with leading the development of a Company's brand story: owning a social media strat, educating internal audiences...
    - salary
    - writing examples
    The Phone interview with the HR went well, background check, motivations, values..
    The PI with the manager was more deep into the skills on this job but she was listening and you have time to convince her.
    No tricky questions