Expedia

283 candidate interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Expedia in October 2007.

Interview Details – I went to my university's career fair and spoke with the recruiter there. I got a call from the recruiter that night, and scheduled an interview with him the next day. From that interview, I began speaking with an Expedia recruiter to schedule an in-person interview loop in the Expedia building in Bellevue.

I had a 4 person interview loop, all consisting of technical interviews with lots of problem-solving on a whiteboard. Then at the end I had a wrap-up with my recruiter, Katy.

Interview Question – Given a sorted array of integers, write a function to remove any duplicates (e.g. 1,2,3,3,3,4,4,5 would go to 1,2,3,4,5)   View Answers (2)

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Expedia in January 2008.

Interview Details – Meet lots of people, get asked some really strange and repetitive questions, and then have no clue as to whether they actually like you or not. This is the norm at Expedia. The meetings are generally disorganized and the hierarchy structure is flat so don't count on much in the way of promotions either. They give you a decent sign on bonus but after that your chances for bonuses and stock is nill since you're not a developer.

Interview Question – If you were to go camping with friends, where would you put your tent?   View Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in May 2010.

Interview Details – The job description was extremely vague in terms of the requirements - they really wanted to have a number cruncher, however, the position description suggested the senior business analyst would be an individual who liaised with different segments of the company and external suppliers. They should have clearly stated that SQL and other specific database query experience was required for the position. It was a positive experience in terms of politeness of the inteviewers. I did a round of 3 different interviews lasting approximately 40 minutes each - perhaps the problem was the recruiter who selected me for the interview. I was very disappointed to have wasted so much time preparing and interviewing when they did not describe the position accurately.

Interview Questions

International Ecommerce Fraud Analyst Interview

International Ecommerce Fraud Analyst
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in June 2009.

Interview Details – Six hours of consecutive interviews with six different employees. Questions designed to see if I can think on my feet. Probed and tested for emotional stability, stress response, adaptability, poise and communication skills. Questions such as: Write me code in FoxPro to extract the following set of criteria ...., when I said; I beg your pardon, there must be some misunderstanding, I only know SQL, not FoxPro, the answer was: "Do I look like I care? Hurry up! I am not a patient man!" I proceeded to write code in SQL because that is what I know. When I finished, I was corrected then complemented on maintaining my composure, staying cool under pressure. Some questions are not there to be answered, they are there for them to see and test for any personality disorders and screen out unstable candidates.

Interview Question – Scenario: You need to call a customer in France. It is 0200 over there. Do you call? What do you say?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were brief and the impression given was that there was not much room for any negotiation. Have another offer on the table to help you negotiate a better compensation package.

Analyst Role Interview

Analyst Role

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in September 2012.

Interview Details – stage 1 : involved 1 telephone interview with the hiring manager in the usa (position based in london). so this was in the evening, questions involved walking through the cv, why did i apply for the role, what skills can i bring to the role, and about 2 competency based questions. I seemed to come up with the right answers most of the time although I was unable to answer some of the more 'technical' questions that related to computer programming.

I was then told the next stage would involve an interview with the director and I would get an update in the next few days. About 1-2 days later I got an email from HR saying they would like to progress the application but it would involve 6 interviews with other members of the team. I was literally sh1tting it at this point because the role is practically entry-level yet there are so many interviews. I got an outline of the interviewers and the topic of discussion that related to the role, e.g. 'data' , 'problem solving', 'communication' and so on. These 7 interviews literally covered everything on my cv and allowed me to demonstrate all the skills i could bring to the role. 1 was a telephone interview with usa and the other 5 were based in the london office. It took a lot of preparation but the expedia team is quite relaxed and communicate well in a friendly yet professional manner, they seem like good down to earth people. I decided to sit 1 interview after the other (1:1) which were all about 30 mins to 45 each. The most difficult thing was to keep focus and stick to the questions and the skills that relate to the job without going overboard or off track.

I was then told that the manager was waiting for the outcome of all the other interviews before making a final decision, i was then offered a position at expedia that allowed salary negotiation and a high-level benefits package. I am really looking forward to getting started!

Interview Question – Would you prefer to go into further study? ( I never saw this question coming as I felt this was out of context with the role).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Higher salary than my current role + very generous benefits package

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in February 2013.

Interview Details – I did not actually get an interview with Expedia however I had quite an experience. Recently they opened a Tier 3 customer service vacancy in Las Vegas, NV , me and one of my best friends applied. I have such a long experience with travel agencies for so long and specially in all the software and GDS travel systems that Expedia uses. All of those skills were demonstrated in the resume. I waited for any communication from their side but had none. Only my friend -who was also a previous subordinate of mine and has far less experience- got an interview and an offer and when I asked him he revealed to me honestly that he has a connection in the HR department who arranged it for him. I was so frustrated that I did not at least get that protocol regular courtesy email to tell me that they have reviewed my resume and chose to go with other candidates. After that experience I decided that I wont look for any opportunities in that company because the way their HR is handling their business does not make me comfortable working in such an environment.

Interview Question – Apparently you have to have a connection inside the HR.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Software Development Engineer II
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through career section. Got a mail from Recruiter asking details of my experience, why expedia, why you like software development, what is to be a software developer. After screening my application, the first round of interview was a telephone interview. Interviewer shared Google Docs and asked me to code, design and solve few problems.

After clearing the telephone interview, they booked a flight to attend 5 rounds of face to face interview. Interviewers included a Senior Software Engineer, S/W Development Manager, Test Manager, Business Manager and Sr.Director. Most of the interviews were about 30 - 60 minutes and it took almost 6 hours to complete the process.

Though I'm an experience C# developer there were no questions related to .NET/ASP.NET/SQL Server. Most of the questions were on Data Structures, Algorithms and Design Patterns.

Interviewers were very challenging as most of them were Ex-Microsoft employees with experience ranging from 7 - 18 years at Microsoft.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was from Sr.Director when he asked me to solve a data structure related problem with O(N) complexity. It's do with search of billion items with very minimal space requirements. I was not expecting a Sr.Director to nail me down with questions related to bit wise operations & data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much. They offered more than what I expected - sign on bonus, relocation bonus, performance bonus, full relocation package with a month of high end corporate apartment to live and 15 days of rental car to drive around.

Market Associate Interview

Market Associate
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and used my Linked In profile to apply. Within days, I noticed a recruiter from the company viewed my profile. I was contacted via email to set up my first phone interview. I had my FIRST phone interview. It lasted about 35 minutes and was the generic HR prescreen. The recruiter spoke mostly about what the position called for with a HEAVY HEAVY stress on sales which is a different feel from the posted job description. She scheduled me for a second phone interview which was later rescheduled by the interviewer because she was under the weather. That second phone interview lasted about 50-60 minutes. You are put totally on the spot to provide a role play situation of what you would do if the position was yours. Super uncomfortable and unexpected but I fought through it. Apparently, it well as they scheduled me for an in person interview for 3 hours at their office with 3 different people.

Interview Question – Which famous person do you most look up to? Weird? Just me? Ok   View Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Associate Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews

Interview Question – Role play a phone conversation to get a hotel that is not listed with Expedia to join.   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

QA Engineer
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone screening by HR, followed by a phone interview with one manager and then was asked to interview in person. The in-person interview was 4-5 successive 1-hour interviews. This covered both technical questions, test concepts and inter-personal questions. There was a period of 5-10 minutes between interviews when I believe interviewers conferred to determine whether the candidate would continue in the interview process. I felt the interview was professional and my performance met expectations.

Interview Question – In the first interview, the application architecture was explained and diagrammed on a whiteboard. That was all that was said regarding it during that interview; the diagram was erased at the end of that interview. The next interviewer came in and asked me to diagram the application architecture. I was able to recall approximately 90%. I felt this demonstrated whether the candidate listens, learns quickly and is able to comprehend the level of complexity of Expedia's test environments.   View Answer

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!