Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

I was contacted via an Expedia recruiter asking if I was open and looking for new opportunities. I said yes, and we got the ball rolling.

Phone Screen:
    The first was a technical phone screen, nothing new here. I was asked about things on my resume for the first 30 minutes and then had a technical question for the last 30 minutes.

I got a callback the next morning asking for an on campus interview. The recruiter and I emailed back and forth and scheduled an interview for the next week. A recruiting coordinator emailed me to confirm and gave me a schedule of who I was interviewing with and the times.

On Campus Interview:
    I was scheduled for 5 different interviews back to back. When I arrived and checked in, I was given a packet with my interview schedule and nice articles about what a great company Expedia is. I hadn't noticed until later that my list of interviewers had slightly changed (will be relevant later).

First and second interviewer were normal, asking me about my resume and then there were some technical questions.

My third interviewer was 30 minutes, (he wasn't on my original interviewer list so I assumed he got the notice last minute), but because of that it pushed my next interviews shorter and later as well. I believe since this interviewer wasn't prepared he gave me a technical problem that I thought was a little hard for a technical interview. (String permutation, I have made additional comments below about it).

The fourth and fifth interviews went as normal as they could after.

My fifth interviewer had told me I would receive a response within 3 days, unfortunately (as I expected), I had not heard anything in a week. It was only after I had emailed the recruiter again that she got back to me, saying that it was a no.

Interview Questions
    • Find all the permutations of a string.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

contacted by a recruiter several days after apply online. set up a phone screen the next day and on-site two weeks later. Then the recruiter told me the feedback is good and want to setup another phone call with the hiring manager from the team I was assigned. And then I was told the manager doesn't think I am a good fit?!!!!! This is my whole interview process, it went well and I enjoyed it at the beginning, but then it just getting weird.

Interview Questions
    • None, all straight forward questions. Try to clear the ambiguous before starting tackling it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Process took a little over 4 weeks. Had an intial call with the recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. Simple straight forward online coding on collabedit-like-environment. Led to an onsite call.

Onsite interview was a little different than the others . Did pretty well and interacted with the team . But sadly no offer was given or any feedback regarding how the interview went too.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected . Although it was pretty challenging. Signed an NDA so cannot disclose more details   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia.

The HR called me and said my salary expectation is high. So, I said, "Ok, as long as the company provides growth opportunities within the company, I am interested in the position". She told me, "We are not interested in hiring someone that has an eye on the next level"!! This is the first time a HR personnel has told me that looking to grow within the company for the long term is not right!!

GC3 T2 Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia in July 2014.

I had four interviews, each more messed up than the first. First off, the first interviewer was late, and spent more time apologizing than actually asking questions. We went over a bit, but then the next person was also late. Last minute change, but the last two interviews were to be handled by conference call, but the I.T. guy couldn't figure out to get the Avaya system to work, to which he then told me they may call me by phone. Good thing I was being considerate and just turned it completely off. Then the first phone interviewer kind of complained about having to call me three times. He was fine after I explained this was news to me, and that I turned it off so as not to distract me. Overall the third interview went ok, and onto the final interview, also over the phone, and she was very nice. But lo and behold, the HR person barges in while we were speaking, and she wants me to mention to the person I'm speaking with that she is in the room. At that point I figured she was more than just rude, but that they had already made their mind up. But trying to ask a couple of questions, the HR person would just interject "yeah, uh huh, yup". Pretty freaking rude, especially for an HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Typical, scenario based stuff, what have I worked with, how would you deal with such and such.   Answer Question

Fraud Analyst Interview

I applied for a Tax Analyst position to get my foot in the door, but a recruiter contacted me about a Fraud Analyst position several weeks later. I filled out a candidate information form that was forwarded to hiring manager. 1-2 weeks later, a hiring manager contacted me for a phone interview, which was very conversational, and she primarily explained the job. This is a screen to determine if they want to administer an online assessment, which I took the next day. This tests your behavior, math skills, and vocab skills. Then, I was called in for an interview, which consisted of 4 45-minute long interviews with various people within the fraud department.

The first was with a senior analyst, who wanted to determine how analytical I was. I was given a couple transaction examples and was asked what I thought about each. I just told him what I thought stood out about each and why.

The next 3 were with managers and supervisors within the department. They all asked similar questions (to which I gave the same answers 2-3 times) pertaining to behavior and experiences. Honesty is greatly appreciated as opposed to what you think they want to hear. Each interviewer was very friendly, and would help clarify questions that were unclear (I even had the opportunity to correct or alter some of my answers).

I was told I would be given my results in a week, but they contacted me the next day to offer the job. At this point, I am still considering the offer, so I have selected the option "Yes, but I declined" so that this post will go through, although I have not yet decided to accept or decline it.

Interview Questions
    • If you could have any credit card data you wanted to conduct analyses on, what would you want and why?   Answer Question
    • What is the key to successful customer service, and why?   Answer Question

I have not yet made an official decision at this time.

Technical Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Met an HR representative at a hiring fair and talked them through my qualifications and interests. Based on our conversation they said they would pass along my information to a hiring manager they had in mind. The hiring manager emailed me to setup a time for us to talk about my qualifications. The phone interview went very well and Expedia was impressed with my experience. Based on the phone interview they scheduled an in-person interview. Interviewed with 4 people, each for 1 hour. The interviews were challenging and at the same time fun. Interviewers were professional, had great questions, and provided exciting conversations. In fact, my interview actually went long because of the great conversations we had.

The hiring manager told me that she would contact me within 2 weeks about a decision. A few days later I was asked to provide my references. After notifying my references that they would be called soon I sent along their information. Expedia contact 2 out of 4 of the references and the references told me the conversations went well. Then.... complete radio silence from Expedia. No phone call, or email.

Giving it over a week I contacted the HR person and they never responded to 2 emails and a phone call. Contacted the hiring manager and she responded that she would have someone contact me. The person who contacted me was another hiring manager who wanted to do a phone screen for a position he was hiring for. I agreed and that phone screen went poorly due to the new manager asking vague, open ended questions and expecting a specific answer.

Still almost a month later I have not heard a final decision on the first interview. This experience has left me with a very negative perception of Expedia employees and the companies ethics at large. I invested considerable time into the process, friends of mine took time out of their day to talk with Expedia, and I even followed up with all the parties involved. They could not offer the professional courtesy of just a decline or accept email. Based on this experience I would not recommend investing your time into applying for Expedia as they do not respect applicants or the time commitment they require of people. Speaks volumes of how you would be treated if employed there.

Expedia... you need to teach your managers how to be professional.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing surprising. Scenario questions. Resume based questions   Answer Question

Senior Revenue Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia.

I received an interview request from the finance recruiter. The interview for re-scheduled multiple times. The first time, he forgot about the interview. When the interview did happen the 3rd time, he seemed very un-interested in taking the interview.
    Expedia needs to hire better recruiters who would be interested in working for the company.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Reverse a string.
      2. Remove duplicates in a string.
      3. Lots of queries involving JOINs.
      4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.
        Answer Question

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Applied online and got a call from HR in a week. Got scheduled for initial phone interview.
    Interview got postponed couple of time but was finally interviewed with a senior database developer. Interview consisted of all basic database questions and my experience working with it.
    Later got scheduled for personal interview at Bellevue HQ. it was 5-6 rounds with team members from different levels.
    round 1 : basic java questions and a programming question to calculate the median of a continuous input of numbers.
    round 2 : This was basically managerial questions with some behavioral question(lunch interview)
    round 3 : Again some oops question with some puzzle to parse a string of strings and pick up integers in each string and display as output. continuous numbers in a string should be displayed a single number. Eg. "3rfg5" output should be 3,5
    34rf8tv output should be 34,8
    round 4: questions again on oops by drawing class diagram and then initializing classes, inheritance etc.
    round 5 : All database questions with focus on all essential database questions, I was asked to write some queries. Also got interviewed on some Cassandra or no sql questions.

Everyone were very friendly and I felt very comfortable.

I was offered the position over a phone call from HR after couple of weeks. The offer looked genuine and good , so accepted.