Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through the company website. It took about two months to hear from the company. Once I did things proceeded quickly. I was contacted by a recruiter to fill out a questionnaire. Then I had a phone interview with a supervisor on the team followed by two phone interviews with my recruiter. After that I was asked to take a three hour online personality, math, and vocabulary test. The results of my phone interviews and test were positive so I was asked to come on-site for 4.5 hours of in person interviews. I met with my recruiter and 4 members of the department each individually. The interviews weren't too difficult and I was asked similar questions to some other applicants on this site. Once I was contacted by HR the whole process has taken about 2.5 weeks, I hear from HR tomorrow if they are making an offer or not.

Interview Questions

• Given a flight path determine if the transaction is fraudulent or not   Answer Question
    • What animal would you be and why?   1 Answer

Market Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

I was recruited through LinkedIn. I had two interviews with recruiters and 3 interviews with senior management. They call you back really fast, but job description is very vague and you really have no idea what you will be doing until you start the job. Some personality questions and lots of skill questions. They were very accommodating on interview time. I was living in another city at that time so all "in person" interviews were conducted in Skype, with the exception of the last one where the senior manager happened to be in the city.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a top earning hotel whose RMD has been decreasing dramatically year over year?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate on salary, but I did got a signing bonus. Benefits non negotiable but it's on par with market.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Expedia in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online to an opening and then heard nothing at all from Expedia for 3 entire months. I had written off the prospect entirely when I was contacted by a recruiter. I had a telephone interview with someone I would directly report to 5 days later and then, a week after that I attended a 4 hour interview with 5 different people. The interview was positive and upbeat and everyone seemed to be very receptive. One manager even told me that he really enjoyed my interview responses, felt good about my ability to mesh with the team, and was ready to bring me on board. Five days later, I am contacted by the recruiter to inform me that they had an internal candidate who had been given the job even before my interview day. So, basically, they just wasted my time, dangled the prospect of a better job in front of me, humiliated me by directly stating they were ready to hire me, and then revealed that they never had any intention of hiring me in the end. Really? Shame on you, Expedia.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

About a 3 week wait in between offer and start date. Everyone was kind. Had a recruiting Interview then 2 screening interviews with people in the same position. Then interviewed with the 4 people I'd be working with. Offer within 3 week. Started 3 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They made an offer. I said I was delighted but would like to se a bit more, would the be able to meet me at $2k more, and they agreed :-)

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Typical phone screen followed by 5 in person interviews. True to recruiting's word they entire process was pretty quick. They came back with an offer within a week of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Towers of Hanoi. This wasn't hard but it wasn't real world either. I'd expected an actual business domain relevant problem for a senior level position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No. I mentioned vacation was short and HR said sorry that's not negotiable.

Program Manager II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in January 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiter, hiring manager, and engineering manager. Expedia flew me in in, booked a hotel and a driver. I spent the day talking about operations, agile, imaginary applications and football. The next day recruiter said everyone was thrilled and the described the offer over the phone the next day (verbal, I said to send it over). After not receiving a written offer for two days I decided to expedite negotiating by making a counter on the base salary that was mentioned. My logic was my current salary had been used as a factor in calculating the current offer. By that valuation my salary is a year old and I have an upcoming pay increase so I suggested I was worth what I was countering. I wish I had a transcript of what happened next. Recruiter: "How can you not understand cost of living?" Cost of living was clearly an important selling point in the offer but I gave some examples of how it can be misleading. Recruiter: "I don't understand how you don't understand cost of living." I said I just wanted to make sure that cost of living wasn't the only determination, that I would be getting market rate regardless of where I was moving from or what my prior salary was which I did not have to disclose. Recruiter: "I don't appreciate that you are insinuating we are trying to low ball you." Recruiter: "I mentioned your counter to the team and they consider this a red flag." I had to remind the recruiter that we were just discussing the offer, not a big deal. Recruiter: "If we accept your counter you would be making more than your peers." Recruiter: "Well, are you accepting the offer?" I said I would accept (this conversation not withstanding) but also pointed out that the offer was below the salary range I had indicated in my candidate profile at the beginning of the process. If that range was an issue we should have discussed it right from the start. The recruiter called back to tell me offer was later rescinded. Besides the fact that there was no formal offer, this was the most amazing, unprofessional turn of events I have ever experienced with a recruiter or anyone else in a job setting. I have never had a counter--one that was very reasonable and thoughtful--handled like this. I have a masters degree and 14 years of engineering experience and to be insulted, to carry on as if I did not grasp cost of living (of course I had done all the cost of living calculations) really shows what Expedia thinks of candidates or employees. Counter offers are nothing personal, especially if the initial offer is not overwhelming or is based on disclosed salary or dubious concepts. What matters is how much are you worth to the company if the company had no prior knowledge of your location or salary. This is market rate. But I have no regrets. I passed eight hours of interviews with six different people. I have no problem if the recruiter blows up over counter offer. That too is part of the candidate interviewing the company. This is not the place for me.

Interview Questions

Could not answer simple questions about how the compensation was calculated.

Expedia Response

Feb 4, 2015 – Team Expedia

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you were unhappy with your recent interview experience. Expedia recruits and successfully hires thousands of employees each year in the US and around the ... More

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Short, on-campus interview. Then a full afternoon of interviews. Mostly simple technical questions, with a few more complex questions mixed in. The questions depended highly on the interviewer. Each interviewer seemed to have a lot of autonomy about what to ask. 2/3 technical material, 1/3 personal questions. They allowed you to use any language when solving technical questions, even pseudo code. Overall great interview process.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in your free time? Sports, hobbies, etc...?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone screen. Was aked to write code for a couple of question in a shared screen. Total time of the interview was about an hour. Asked me to describe my algorithm and why I chose the way I did the coding.

Interview Questions

• Extremely technical interview.   1 Answer

Financial Acct Ops Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Springfield, MO) in January 2015.

Interview

This was my second job interview with this company. I have two complaints about the application process. 1 I have to re-enter my resume for all the jobs I applied for. Since I applied for several in one day, it was very time consuming. 2 They don't get back to you in the time frame promised in the interview.

Lodging Support Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Expedia (Dallas, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through a staffing agency. The process was very quick and got called for an interview a week later. Normally I get really nervous when it comes to interviews but when I got there the atmosphere and the people were so welcoming that I had no reason not to. So the interviewer came out shortly after my arrival with a professional but laid back demeanor. The interview had a total of about 10 rather simple questions and listened to live phone calls.