Expedia Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I reached out to to a former colleague who set things in motion. Two weeks later, I heard from the recruiting team and two weeks after that, the interview loop took place. Three days after the interview loop, I got the news that they were interested and three days after that, I got the details on the initial offer. From start to finish, the whole process took a little over a month.

The interviews, for a manager role, were tough but fair, with more emphasis on management questions than than on technical questions. Some very good discussions and interaction with me rather than on rapidly firing questions and silently taking notes. The loop was one of the better loops I've been involved with and I came away impressed with the team.

Interview Questions

• A question on network performance issues and potential solutions, one of the rare technical questions.   Answer Question

This was a tough decision but another offer on the table was a slightly better fit.

Global Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

It took 3 months to go through the process, 5 interviews and the communication between interviews was poor. All interviews were by phone until I was brought in on the last interview and I skyped with the person I would be reporting to as she was in Geneva.

Interview Questions

• Asking what you would do to improve the position when you don't know the day to day activities.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary, bonus and relocation all comes from different buckets so if one if not as much as you want, try to get more from another bucket.

Market Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

I went through three interviews. First a screen phone call, had about three questions about revenue management like revpar. Second was a Skype interview with the regional director, pretty standard questions. Third interview was in person at their office. The interview was an hour and was only role play involving sales type questions. I was able to answer most of the questions asked but some where hard to answer solely because I've never been in a market associate position. I didn't like how the interview was only role play for an hour, it doesn't give an accurate picture of the position or my skills.

From start to finish the interview process took over a month.

Market Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Interview

Entire process took about a month (from submitting application until offer was accepted).
    I received a an initial email from a hiring recruiter out of their main office stating that he would like to schedule an initial phone interview/screening with me. I scheduled it for the following day which was on a Thursday. It lasted about half an hour and they simply wanted to get an idea about my hotel experience, nothing too technical or complicated. The phone screen went over very well and I was contacted within an hour of it being over to schedule my "technical interview" the following day via Skype. This, in my opinion was the most difficult interview as they ask you questions that require you to be creative with your answers. There was also some role-playing, which I could tell was used to see how I would react to certain situations on the spot and to see your personality. This one lasted about an hour. She said not to be surprised if I didn't hear back from Expedia for 1-2 weeks as the process does take a while. I was eventually interviewed by three more people at the main Dallas office, each higher up in the company. All interviews went over very well and I was called for a verbal offer only a few days after the in-person interviews. The company is full of very smart and creative people, and it is very obvious that they are looking for sharp, young innovative people with a great sense of determination. I was able to have a one-on-one chat with a person in the position in which I was applying for and asked him how he liked his job and he had nothing but great things to say about the company. It was very good to hear considering he had been with the company for almost two years and was in the process of moving for a promotion (another great sign since he said they promote from within). The Dallas office was beautiful and everyone was working hard, however they all were SMILING. This is always a great sign of a company since interviewing is a two way street! Be warned, you must do your homework if you want to interview with this company as it is not easy!

Interview Questions

• If I told you there were 150 new hotels that weren't partnered with Expedia in the (insert city name here), how would you go about finding out each hotel, along withe detailed informations of each?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was extremely happy with the offer that I was given. The base salary was more than I expected, and I was offered a very nice signing bonus on top of that!

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in October 2014.

Interview

Talked to an engineer at a career fair in school. Engineer seemed interested so invited me to a on-campus interview (30 mins long). There, she asked me to describe a project in detail, then told me to implement in-order tree traversal, both recursively and iteratively. 2 days after that, someone on their University Recruiting staff reached out and informed me that I was being invited to an on-site interview, all expenses paid. We picked a date, but about 2 weeks before the interview, the recruiter contacted me and informed me that they were postponing my interview by a week, which is fine.

I can't talk about the details of the on-site interview, since they made me sign an NDA before starting, which I will honor. The on-site interview consists of 4 1-hour interviews. They focus primarily on technicals, though you're expected to have a basic understanding of Expedia's business model, though not in great detail. The on-site interviews are quite intensive, because they don't really give you a break in between; you're stuck in a conference room with a whiteboard, where software engineers come in and talk to you. The questions focus primarily on data structures and algorithms, though you should know Java programming constructs really well as well. I would say that the on-site interview is surprisingly challenging, more challenging than Microsoft's.

I was informed of my rejection 3 business days after the on-site interview concluded.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Expedia in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiters came to campus. I submitted my resume and they selected me for an interview. It was a 30 minutes face to face interview on campus. It was a very good conversation, and we got to know each other (me and the company). And I was asked what questions do I have.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia.

Interview

The process took 2 weeks. The recruiter asked basic data structure and math problems. It was immediately after a career fair at college. Nice recruiter with direct technical questions. Positive experience.

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Overall, this process took about two months.

First, I found a posting on their careers website and e-mailed my resume to their HR department. About a week later, I received a request to fill out a candidate profile, which I submitted later that day. Four or five weeks after that, I did a brief phone interview with a member of the Fraud Analysis team, and was asked to complete a personality profile on a third party website. This profile also contained math and vocabulary portions, and took around three hours for me to complete.

One week after submitting the profile, I received another e-mail from their HR department, this time asking me to provide them with days that I would be available for interviews. I was given an interview date that was one week after that. This interview was three hours long, and consisted of five mini interviews: one that was 15 minutes, and four that were 45 minutes. These were mostly questions about my experience, and a couple containing scenarios based on the everyday transactions the department handles. After completing the interviews, I received a phone call with an offer the following morning.

Interview Questions

• What makes you more qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They presented me with a very good offer, and no negotiations were necessary.

Engineering Program Manager II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Started with a phone interview that included written essay. They have a very slow process in each recruiting phase even when they are interested in you. Interviewers are junior.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was to write an essay on how you would approach the job and set up details.   Answer Question

Customer Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was referred to the hiring manager by a friend who was the hiring manager's boss.
    Probably for this reason, my phone screen was two simple questions: 1. What are your salary expectations and 2. When are you available to to come for an onsite interview?

The onsite interview lasted about 4 hours. I met with the hiring manager, her boss, two senior members of the team that I would be managing, and a director of a group that would be the customers this team is serving.

The process was very friendly - they want you the candidate to be comfortable in the interview and they may probe until they get the answer they are looking for. Most questions were of the type: "How would you handle X situation?"

If you are an introvert, watch your body language. Some managers are trained to pay attention to nonverbal cues.

The process is welcoming and friendly but don't let your guard down. They have very high hiring standards. Due to the unstructured nature of the questions, it's up to you to go beyond just answering the direct question and to sell yourself through memorable stories and making connections with the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to push back against a request of your boss.   Answer Question