Expedia

Updated Dec 21, 2014

3.1

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in April 2014.

Probably one of the best interview experiences I've ever encountered. First phone screen was comfortable and natural. Encountered some delays in getting an interview schedule. I had to reach out to verify it was confirmed, etc. Given adequate info in my interview confirmation (i.e. parking, directions, dress code). Reception was busy and seemed rushed - not the best first impression. My interview loop was changed at the last minute, so my greeter was replaced with someone else. Loop was efficient and friendly - not intimidating which I think leads to more authentic representation of the person. No questions repeated - interviewers seemed to know not to overlap areas. One interviewer offered to show me around the work space so I could get a better feel for the office environment and explained the building layout - that was really nice. Loop consisted of 4 people, one via conference call.

Interview Questions
    • Process questions - how would you do this activity or solve this problem (mostly difficult due to the answers they were expecting were very relevant to Expedia specific processes)   View Answer
    Negotiation is possible. Be open with your recruiter and/or hiring manager. They may be able to work with you.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Expedia.

Reasonably difficult. Interviewer didnt allow me the space to express my ideas and was very rigid

Interview Questions
    • implement a recursive solution for a double linked list in java   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Expedia.

Friendly interviewer - did not feel intimidated despite high ranking with company. Half "get to know you" questions and half "case interview" style question. Be prepared for a case interview question but don't stress too much over it. Just be confident in your answer and stick to your gut reaction in answering it.

Interview Questions
    • Case interview question dealt with letting a CEO know whether or not data supported his/her new initiative. Interviewer might give data that does not support initiative - do not be afraid to say no.   Answer Question

Software Developer Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia.

The interview was about 45 minutes long. Basic Java questions were asked. The questions were not too hard. Basically you have to work out the problem on a white board and it can be stressful. Be sure to understand the question correctly and let the interviewer follow your thoughts. The interviewer was friendly.
    I do not think they prepared much for the first round interview. Maybe they just want to find out if you can code or not. There is no advancement of the problem, and problems are unrelated.

Marketing Manager Interview

Several rounds of in-person interviews

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

1 phone interview with Principal Product Manager. It's important to note that I feel strongly my interview was not an interview at all, but more for information/idea sourcing, which is becoming increasingly common among companies. The actual job opening, may or may not have existed, but it was clear from right off the bat, the interviewing manager was looking for monetization inspiration about a future product offering they were prepping to put out. Every question revolved around the new product feature, and the lack of hiring sincerity was fairly obvious.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

Campus interviews, 1 on 1 with white board coding. Simple problems using Binary search tree traversal and binary search for a scenario. Interviews went well and got invited for onsite interviews at Bellevue HQ. It was challenging and fun; 3 back to back interviews. Two interviewers were fun, while one of them was uptight with hardly a smile. Expedia is quite generous in reimbursing the travel/lodging costs. $75 per day on meals.
    Got the offer within 10 days. The pay rate is the best part, exceeds expectations. The whole process was quick, efficient and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • 1] Given a series of data, cluster it into sub components. It was for a specific use case which was fun to solve. Prepare HashMap well.
      2] Given 2 rectangles, find out the smaller rectangle which is formed by the intersection of the larger rectangles.
      3] Given a 2D matrix filled with 1s and 0s, find out the number of connected components of 1s.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Expedia in March 2014.

Contacted at University campus fair by recruiter. They were quick with the process and scheduled an on campus initial screen next day. Had a 1-1 to coding and behavioral interview with a employee. They were cheerful and wanted neat and clean solutions to the problems

Interview Questions
    • Asked about how technology will evolve in next decade and what do you see coming. Followed by a question on trees - how to find common ancestor of two nodes.   Answer Question

Senior Director of Technology Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Expedia.

Interview process wasn't very difficult. Mostly it seemed that the decision was made for a number of the interviewer based on what their manager (the referrer) has said.
    Only has one interviewer that asked any questions that required thinking

Interview Questions
    • On the fly design question regarding searching through and ranking hotels   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia.

I was contacted by the hiring department to have a phone interview. After the phone interview I was scheduled to take 3 online tests. After the tests, I received a call to come in for an in person interview with the Accounting Manager. After 3 weeks I received an e-mail saying I did not get the job.