Expedia Product Manager Interview Questions

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

great hiring process- very thorough and extensive process. everyone was incredibly social and friendly and the questions were quite challenging. recommend preparing carefully for this. interview was over 2 days with about 8 people. found this based on a referral from a friend and a phone screen by a recruiter.

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in February 2013.

The hiring process is like anywhere else.
    You initially talk to the recruiter, who will ask you very broad set of questions like "Why Expedia?" or "Tell me about your background". You will also get a little bit of an insight on the job itself.
    My second interview was with a director of the department, who the position wold answer to. The manager sounded very strict and in a way, unpleasant to speak with. The manager wanted to know my experience with Agile/Scrum, which I had little of, so the manager asked me to do homework before asking me to come in for an internal interview process.
    Questions were related to Expedia's website, like "What would you change on a specific portion of the website?", "Write user stories for the proposed changes.", and "Given a team developing a front end of the application, and a team developing a back end application, tell me how you would create a roadmap for the project, and develop a schedule." - Pretty basic stuff for the PM work that would be relevant.
    After I turned the homework in, I was asked to come in for a day of interviews. The internal process was with 5 people, some interviews being in an hour range, and a few in half hour range.
    Pre Interview. Meet with the recruiter and she takes you to your interview room. Not really an interview.
    Interview 1.Meet with the Sr.PM and have a lunch interview. Great insight on what the team is developing and questions like, "How would you as a PM track what your a client selected in their itinerary?"
    Interview 2. Another interview with Sr.PM. More of questions about the internal structure of the team and what everyone does. A few questions mainly about my past work. Know your resume' well.
    Interview 3. Sr. Developer came in, which surprised me, since I'm not technical in development. He looked very tired and not very avid about the interview process. He explained that there will be no code questions, but wanted to find out if I could, as a PM, explain things to him from a technical perspective. I was a bit too high-level for him. Questions asked were like "Explain web services to me?", and "How does a web request works?". When it was my turn to ask questions, he was picking his nose, rubbing his face and barely sitting on the chair, with his eyes barely open, which was unprofessional.
    Interview 4. Meet with peer PM. The guy was very active, involved and friendly. Really wanted to know about my past, and told me about his line of work, which was very interesting. Asked me questions like "How would you keep your developers active and engaged?", and questions about my past experience. I finished this interview feeling great and energized.
    Interview 5. Meet with your future manager. This was the same manager that gave me homework. The manager was somewhat arrogant and not overly friendly. This might be expected from someone,who you might answer to in the future. Asked me quickly about how my day has gone so far, and quickly dove into questions not related to PM work, but mainly about the back end of the Expedia website, which I knew pretty much nothing about. Questions like "Explain how an object is passed to the results page and what is included". Asked to clarify, which only frustrated the manager. My answers from the beginning seemed to not be good enough for the manager, and after the discussions on the answer, which the manager felt like having to chew out for me, I felt like I did not successfully go through that portion.
    I made sure to say in my closing statement that it is more important for me to know they pick the right candidate, and if it is not me, I understand. I do not think the manager liked this one bit.
    Overall, great day full of great people. Wish I was more prepared for the wrath of the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how an object is passed to the results page and what is included   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  University Park, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in January 2013.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about "if you know the user average stay on a page for 5-6 second" what additional data you would need to justify the "5-6 second " is good or bad?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Expedia.

Phone interview was about 30 minutes long. Talked about resume and why the switch from Dev to Product Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The Manager wanted to know why the switch from Developer to Product Management. Did not see the transition from the past experience and wanted more data.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Expedia in December 2009.

Had a brief phone screening with the HR recruiter. I was later called for a 1:1 interview with a member of the hiring team. The interviewer did not seem to be prepared, she just let me do most of the talking and only asked questions based on what I was saying, mostly clarification questions. The conversation took almost 45 minutes. No real feedback was received, only that they decided to go with an internal candidate. Not sure what the reall reason was, this seems like a standard response when they're not interested.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in March 2012.

I wouldnt say it was easy. The questions were very straight forward. But the tricky part was the expression on the interviewers faces. Wow! You couldnt tel if they were impressed or not. After the interview I felt I could have done better.

Interview Questions
    • Gave me a scenario where I have to convert a business oppor to feature and explain it to the developers.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in July 2011.

The HR contacted for a phone interview and decided on day and time . The interviewer was a Senior product manager. After interview when asked about feedback , he was polite and explained the good and negative points

Interview Questions
    • Asked to design a system for Bike renting and justify the design   Answer Question
    • some questions on project management and team building   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in January 2008.

As a product manager it was important to be able to describe your comfort level and approach for the following:

1) Building a detailed business case (ROI/NPV)
    2) Prioritizing features and your roadmap
    3) Managing stakeholders
    4) Improving the customer experience

The rest of the questions were straightforward behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Given product X, build a top-down revenue estimate.   View Answer

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!