Expedia

3.1

126 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Typical phone screen followed by 5 in person interviews. True to recruiting's word they entire process was pretty quick. They came back with an offer within a week of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Towers of Hanoi. This wasn't hard but it wasn't real world either. I'd expected an actual business domain relevant problem for a senior level position.   Answer Question
    No. I mentioned vacation was short and HR said sorry that's not negotiable.

BI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Process was standard for the industry. Contacted by recruiter to provide additional information, phone screen with the hiring manager and then brought in for a day to interview with a wide range of folks. Planning by HR was a little off - the interview was pushed back and I wasn't notified, confusion over where the interview would take place etc, though they were very nice and gave me some tips before the actual interview started. Sat in a window-less tiny space while five different folks came and asked essentially the same sets of character questions. Not really any technical type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Not really any difficult technical questions. Walked through a business case of measuring and improving adwords profit, though the job was more on reporting.   Answer Question

Position wasn't a great fit for me and felt the department was a high-stress / low-reward type of environment.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia in December 2014.

I applied though their career site. A recruiter contacted me after 2 weeks, and scheduled a phone screen. Initial questions were towards my projects and previous roles. Then he jumped in to a coding question.

Interview Questions
    • Given a string with multiple lines, find and print the most frequent character for each line. If there is a tie in a given line, i.e, if 2 characters occur the most in that line, then print the one that comes first in the alphabetical order.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Communication Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in December 2014.

I applied online and have had an employee referral pushing on it, 8 days after I had a mail of the HR with a document to send back, a phone interview (20min) with the HR 12 days after, a second interview (30min) 1 day after with one of the manager and then a negative answer 13 days after.
    I worked hard on the document, here are some of the questions:
    - Why are you interested in working for Expedia, Inc. and most specifically Egencia, an Expedia, Inc. Company?
    - Based on your current knowledge of the role - why do you feel you would be successful in the Sr. Marketing Communications Manager role - specifically outlining your experience with leading the development of a Company's brand story: owning a social media strat, educating internal audiences...
    - salary
    - writing examples
    The Phone interview with the HR went well, background check, motivations, values..
    The PI with the manager was more deep into the skills on this job but she was listening and you have time to convince her.
    No tricky questions

Several Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

I had a phone interview two weeks ago. I was told I made it to the next round and would receive more information the next day. That was two weeks ago. No reply to two emails sent to the recruiter asking for an update. I'm frustrated.. I really want to work for this company but I am not impressed about the process.

Software Engineer In Test - II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in November 2014.

I submitted application via their career website. It took a couple weeks but a recruiter email me back. She wanted to talk to me on the phone. In that phone call, she asked me typical questions, like a summary of my experience, why I wanted to leave the company, why I wanted to work for Expedia, etc. She also asked me a couple basic programming conceptual questions, like what are the principles of OOP. Then, she scheduled a phone interview with for me. In the phone interview, the guy asked more conceptual questions, like what is the difference between interface and abstract class and what is virtual class. After that, the interviewer asked me to test the "Flying From" textbox on the Expedia.com homepage. Lastly, coding question, write a IsSubString(string originalString, string subString) function.

Interview Questions
    • Programming conceptual questions which, unless you just graduate from college, you may not always remember them.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

I reached out to to a former colleague who set things in motion. Two weeks later, I heard from the recruiting team and two weeks after that, the interview loop took place. Three days after the interview loop, I got the news that they were interested and three days after that, I got the details on the initial offer. From start to finish, the whole process took a little over a month.

The interviews, for a manager role, were tough but fair, with more emphasis on management questions than than on technical questions. Some very good discussions and interaction with me rather than on rapidly firing questions and silently taking notes. The loop was one of the better loops I've been involved with and I came away impressed with the team.

Interview Questions
    • A question on network performance issues and potential solutions, one of the rare technical questions.   Answer Question

This was a tough decision but another offer on the table was a slightly better fit.

Global Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia.

It took 3 months to go through the process, 5 interviews and the communication between interviews was poor. All interviews were by phone until I was brought in on the last interview and I skyped with the person I would be reporting to as she was in Geneva.

Interview Questions
    • Asking what you would do to improve the position when you don't know the day to day activities.   View Answer
    Salary, bonus and relocation all comes from different buckets so if one if not as much as you want, try to get more from another bucket.

Customer Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in October 2014.

I was referred to the hiring manager by a friend who was the hiring manager's boss.
    Probably for this reason, my phone screen was two simple questions: 1. What are your salary expectations and 2. When are you available to to come for an onsite interview?

The onsite interview lasted about 4 hours. I met with the hiring manager, her boss, two senior members of the team that I would be managing, and a director of a group that would be the customers this team is serving.

The process was very friendly - they want you the candidate to be comfortable in the interview and they may probe until they get the answer they are looking for. Most questions were of the type: "How would you handle X situation?"

If you are an introvert, watch your body language. Some managers are trained to pay attention to nonverbal cues.

The process is welcoming and friendly but don't let your guard down. They have very high hiring standards. Due to the unstructured nature of the questions, it's up to you to go beyond just answering the direct question and to sell yourself through memorable stories and making connections with the interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to push back against a request of your boss.   Answer Question

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Expedia in October 2014.

Overall, this process took about two months.

First, I found a posting on their careers website and e-mailed my resume to their HR department. About a week later, I received a request to fill out a candidate profile, which I submitted later that day. Four or five weeks after that, I did a brief phone interview with a member of the Fraud Analysis team, and was asked to complete a personality profile on a third party website. This profile also contained math and vocabulary portions, and took around three hours for me to complete.

One week after submitting the profile, I received another e-mail from their HR department, this time asking me to provide them with days that I would be available for interviews. I was given an interview date that was one week after that. This interview was three hours long, and consisted of five mini interviews: one that was 15 minutes, and four that were 45 minutes. These were mostly questions about my experience, and a couple containing scenarios based on the everyday transactions the department handles. After completing the interviews, I received a phone call with an offer the following morning.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you more qualified than the other applicants?   Answer Question
    They presented me with a very good offer, and no negotiations were necessary.