Expedia

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication was an informal discussion with the hiring manager, then contact with the company's executive recruiter. Over the next week, conversations were scheduled with 6 people, including 4 people who reported directly to the hiring manager, one peer of the hiring manager and one employee who would report to the position I applied for.

All along the way, the Exec Recruiter was in-touch to inquire how the process was going for me, and to ensure that I was still interested, and that nothing I learned was causing me to have second thoughts.

Throughout the process, the interviewers were very candid about feedback, which was refreshing and helpful in preparing for the next few conversations.

After the initial gauntlet of 6, I again spoke with the hiring manger, who let me know I would next interview with additional peers of his and his boss.

It was a very thorough and detailed process, and given my tenure with the company, not the first 'loop' I had been through. The results and overall experience were positive.

Interview Question – One of the interviews asked me what the 'first principle' of the problem space was. I had truly never given it thought in those terms before, so it took me a while to come up with an answer. Thankfully, the interviewer was eager to explain the principles of 'first principles' which definitely helped.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was an internal candidate, so negotiation is very difficult given the very strict 'transfer' policies. I was able to negotiate a salary increase, which less than the promotion I applied for, but more than I expected once the promotion was taken off the table.

Very Easy Interview

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Expedia in April 2012.

Interview Details – I had an interview loop with 5 people. 1 Hr each. Very sophomoric interview questions. It seemed like I was being interviewed to educate the Expedia staff.

Interview Question – Why is ITIL important?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initial low ball offer.

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Expedia in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initial discussion with recruiter.
One hour discussion with hiring manager: CV background plus case studies using current examples of business challenges.
Four one-hour interviews with potential future colleagues, covering previous experience.
Four 30-minute phone interviews with US-based colleagues, again covering previous experience.

Expedia has many MBA/ former consulting staff, so for leadership positions structured analytic skills are highly valued.

Interview Questions

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!