Expedia Software Development Engineer II Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

Went in for in person 5 face to face interviews. Two of them non technical. Three technical interviews which included on design session. Interview with hiring manager was also technical but he was pretty rude. I am glad I dint get the offer , I wouldn't want to work for him

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Interview

One phone screen followed by on site "loop." I interviewed with a total of 5 people over the course of 4 hours. I met with a senior leader, the hiring manager, and three other developers. The developers focused on technical skills. Including asking me to white board code examples. The managers gave overviews of the group and asked more of the "tell me about a time when" type of questions.

Interview Questions

• There were several algorithmic questions in the technical sessions. I do not recall a specific one   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate an additional 5%+ to the base salary.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in August 2014.

Interview

Process took a little over 4 weeks. Had an intial call with the recruiter who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. Simple straight forward online coding on collabedit-like-environment. Led to an onsite call.

Onsite interview was a little different than the others . Did pretty well and interacted with the team . But sadly no offer was given or any feedback regarding how the interview went too.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected . Although it was pretty challenging. Signed an NDA so cannot disclose more details   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

5 round of on site interview

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in September 2013.

Interview

Had two phone screens - one with hiring manager and another with Dev. on the team. Most questions were technical but not very difficult (Ex. - find out if linked list has a loop; Find all anagrams of a word in the dictionary, etc). A week after last phone screen they flew me down to Bellevue for an in-person interview. There were 6 rounds total - 4 technical and 2 non-technical. Most questions were of average difficulty (Design algorithm to split linked list into two smaller lists such that first list contains only odd elements and second list only even elements of original linked list; Design data structures for game of life, etc).

Interview Questions

• One of the interviews had brain teasers:

Given a rectangle with one rectangular piece missing, split it into two equal halves. can only use single straight cut to accomplish this;

Given 4 bottles of pills where 3 bottles contain pills of same weight and 4th bottle has pills that weight less, find the bottle with "defective" pills using the scale only once..

1 Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Expedia in June 2013.

Interview

The recruiter called me in phone and set up an technical interview with the hiring manager after 5 days . The interview haven't gone well from my side .She asked about my role in the project ,about agile and some very basic java question and I messed up with two simple questions . After 2 days I asked the recruiter and she replied they are looking for more potential candidate

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through career section. Got a mail from Recruiter asking details of my experience, why expedia, why you like software development, what is to be a software developer. After screening my application, the first round of interview was a telephone interview. Interviewer shared Google Docs and asked me to code, design and solve few problems.

After clearing the telephone interview, they booked a flight to attend 5 rounds of face to face interview. Interviewers included a Senior Software Engineer, S/W Development Manager, Test Manager, Business Manager and Sr.Director. Most of the interviews were about 30 - 60 minutes and it took almost 6 hours to complete the process.

Though I'm an experience C# developer there were no questions related to .NET/ASP.NET/SQL Server. Most of the questions were on Data Structures, Algorithms and Design Patterns.

Interviewers were very challenging as most of them were Ex-Microsoft employees with experience ranging from 7 - 18 years at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was from Sr.Director when he asked me to solve a data structure related problem with O(N) complexity. It's do with search of billion items with very minimal space requirements. I was not expecting a Sr.Director to nail me down with questions related to bit wise operations & data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate much. They offered more than what I expected - sign on bonus, relocation bonus, performance bonus, full relocation package with a month of high end corporate apartment to live and 15 days of rental car to drive around.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Had a phone interview with hiring manager, asked a few technical questions and personality questions. Then went into a 5 hour interview on-site. Main communication was with an HR representative.

Interview Questions

• Given a balance and marbles where one marble weighs more than the other, how many times do you have to use the balance to find the heaviest marble for 7 marbles. Then, extend that answer to how many marbles can you weigh with 4 tries.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in September 2011.

Interview

* Phone interview - technical, problem solving, algorithms and data structures. Finally, was asked to code up a problem and send the solution by email
    * A day full of technical 1:1 interviews with the team members and the hiring manager and his boss.
    * Half hour non-technical 1:1 interview with the director of the test team

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in August 2011.

Interview

Phone screen and the 4-round Interview. Phone screen was technical. The interview had two technical rounds and a couple of non-tech ones. One round was with PM Lead and it was more of process discussion.

Interview Questions

• Data structure for a queue that could be modified by multiple threads.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate.