Expedia

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer II

I applied online and interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – 5 round of on site interview

Interview Question – all the questions are acceptable   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in September 2013.

Interview Details – Had two phone screens - one with hiring manager and another with Dev. on the team. Most questions were technical but not very difficult (Ex. - find out if linked list has a loop; Find all anagrams of a word in the dictionary, etc). A week after last phone screen they flew me down to Bellevue for an in-person interview. There were 6 rounds total - 4 technical and 2 non-technical. Most questions were of average difficulty (Design algorithm to split linked list into two smaller lists such that first list contains only odd elements and second list only even elements of original linked list; Design data structures for game of life, etc).

Interview Question – One of the interviews had brain teasers:

Given a rectangle with one rectangular piece missing, split it into two equal halves. can only use single straight cut to accomplish this;

Given 4 bottles of pills where 3 bottles contain pills of same weight and 4th bottle has pills that weight less, find the bottle with "defective" pills using the scale only once..
  Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Expedia in June 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiter called me in phone and set up an technical interview with the hiring manager after 5 days . The interview haven't gone well from my side .She asked about my role in the project ,about agile and some very basic java question and I messed up with two simple questions . After 2 days I asked the recruiter and she replied they are looking for more potential candidate

Interview Question – Explain generics .   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through career section. Got a mail from Recruiter asking details of my experience, why expedia, why you like software development, what is to be a software developer. After screening my application, the first round of interview was a telephone interview. Interviewer shared Google Docs and asked me to code, design and solve few problems.

After clearing the telephone interview, they booked a flight to attend 5 rounds of face to face interview. Interviewers included a Senior Software Engineer, S/W Development Manager, Test Manager, Business Manager and Sr.Director. Most of the interviews were about 30 - 60 minutes and it took almost 6 hours to complete the process.

Though I'm an experience C# developer there were no questions related to .NET/ASP.NET/SQL Server. Most of the questions were on Data Structures, Algorithms and Design Patterns.

Interviewers were very challenging as most of them were Ex-Microsoft employees with experience ranging from 7 - 18 years at Microsoft.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was from Sr.Director when he asked me to solve a data structure related problem with O(N) complexity. It's do with search of billion items with very minimal space requirements. I was not expecting a Sr.Director to nail me down with questions related to bit wise operations & data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much. They offered more than what I expected - sign on bonus, relocation bonus, performance bonus, full relocation package with a month of high end corporate apartment to live and 15 days of rental car to drive around.

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in August 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen and the 4-round Interview. Phone screen was technical. The interview had two technical rounds and a couple of non-tech ones. One round was with PM Lead and it was more of process discussion.

Interview Question – Data structure for a queue that could be modified by multiple threads.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in October 2012.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with hiring manager, asked a few technical questions and personality questions. Then went into a 5 hour interview on-site. Main communication was with an HR representative.

Interview Question – Given a balance and marbles where one marble weighs more than the other, how many times do you have to use the balance to find the heaviest marble for 7 marbles. Then, extend that answer to how many marbles can you weigh with 4 tries.   View Answer

Bellevue, WA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Expedia in September 2011.

Interview Details – * Phone interview - technical, problem solving, algorithms and data structures. Finally, was asked to code up a problem and send the solution by email
* A day full of technical 1:1 interviews with the team members and the hiring manager and his boss.
* Half hour non-technical 1:1 interview with the director of the test team

Interview Question – Game of life - (google it)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – yes.

Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in October 2012.

Interview Details – Three rounds of technical interviews. Only in the last round of interview, few non-technical questions asked. There was a lot of writing code. For a couple, I was also asked to state the complexity.
Overall, the process was quick and the recruiting team was very helpful.

Interview Question – Most Difficult : Check if a linked list contains a loop. If yes then find the starting position of the loop.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Location was not acceptable to me

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initial interview process was mostly standard, a phone interview followed with face to face interview with 2 devs, product & dev managers. Some questions were based on experience on resume while there were few to check general programming competency. Interestingly there was no coding exercise. Last round was an informal lunch interview, which turned out to unexpectedly bring out the unprofessional side of the interviewers.

Interview Question – Are you married? Do you have any kids? Where do you live?   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Expedia

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!

Expedia Videos

Expedia – Why Work for Us?

Why Expedia? Because mornings are the best when you love your job. At Expedia, Inc. we are passionate about travel and revolutionizing it through the power of technology. Across the globe, our family of brands makes… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Expedia Software Development Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Expedia employees and interview candidates.