Expedia

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Question – 1. Reverse a string.
2. Remove duplicates in a string.
3. Lots of queries involving JOINs.
4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Expedia in December 2013.

Interview Details – Been contacted in Linkedin, didn't really go with high hope but was hoping for some good interview experience. Except for one engineer who has a simple, yet interesting question rest of the questions were either behavioral or just conversation where I questioned what technical ability, I was probed on. One of the interviewers literally struggled/confused with some of the fundamentals, at which point I totally lost interest in that job. The meeting with one of the senior director was just awful, he seemed to be so disinterested in the process itself that he couldn't control his yawn.

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through university recruiting. I had an on-campus technical interview. After 3days, I was invited for a full loop interview at the company location. The full loop had 5 rounds of interview, all of which were technical white board coding. The technical questions focused on data structures, algorithms, design patterns, behavioral questions and testing. I was interviewed in November 2013 and the process took 3 weeks. After the full loop interview, the result was informed in three days.

The whole process was neat, smooth and challenging!

Interview Question – Be thorough with data structures!   View Answer

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – Applied on the career website and got scheduled for a telephone interview within a week. After the phone screen, got called for an on-site interview in Bellevue. Met and interviewed with the team - developers, manager and director. Interview lasted around 5-6 hours. Questions were varied - covered computer science concepts and some programming questions. The interviewers were professional in their approach and ensured that I was comfortable through the whole process.

Interview Question – Design an extensible school schema.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in November 2012.

Interview Details – I went to a career-fair and was asked to do a on-campus 45 min interview the next day. I was contacted about a month later for a 4-hour on-site interview. Expedia is a JAVA company even though they said to use any language I am comfortable with to write my code. I chose c++ and asked questions like asking for the length of the array, they said it will not be a parameter value which forces me to use a different language and not one that I initially chose and am comfortable with.

Interview Question – tracing recursive method that are called multiple times in the same method.   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in April 2012.

Interview Details – First I got a call from Sr Recruiter for phone screening. First interview is HR type containing some behavioral questions and description about position. For the second round I got pair of question and she told me to code them and return back within 45 min. Third round was with Sr Developer. That was mostly related to scalability question. I got rejection after third round.

Interview Question – For your web application how thousands of user communicate with your database simultaneously ? Do they every time go through Connect Db - Fetch result - Close Connection ? Or there is some other way ?   Answer Question

Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia in February 2011.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with a Project Manager where I was asked a coding question and a design question (don't remember what the questions were). I passed the phone interview and they flow me out to their HQ (all expenses paid for).

5 rounds of interviews starting at 9am.

Round 1: I thought I botched this interview because I was asked several questions on C, Java and Python (advantages and disadvantages of each language). I was then asked one coding question on a modified queue data structure where one class is only responsible for insertion and another for removal of data.

Round 2: We talked about one of my projects for the entire duration of the interview. The interviewer was completely fascinated with my project and asked me to map out the system flow on the whiteboard.

Round 3: 3 coding questions involving Texas-Hold Em: write a method to find a pair, three cards, and a straight.

Round 4: Team manager lunch interview. Just chatted the whole time. Very relaxed experience.

Round 5: Rotated binary search question (if you look through the interview questions on this site, someone else may have posted this question), and a design question for a parking garage.

Interview Question – Rotated Binary Search problem (values at the end of the array are shifted to the front where the array remains to be in a sorted order)   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Expedia in December 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring manager called me the previous day to schedule a time. One of the development managers called me at the agreed time. He asked my previous experiences. Asked few questions while I was explaining my projects. Then he gave me a problem to solve. Converting two D char array to a int array with space efficient as I can.

Interview Question – Converting two D char array to a int array with space efficient as I can.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Expedia in October 2007.

Interview Details – I went to my university's career fair and spoke with the recruiter there. I got a call from the recruiter that night, and scheduled an interview with him the next day. From that interview, I began speaking with an Expedia recruiter to schedule an in-person interview loop in the Expedia building in Bellevue.

I had a 4 person interview loop, all consisting of technical interviews with lots of problem-solving on a whiteboard. Then at the end I had a wrap-up with my recruiter, Katy.

Interview Question – Given a sorted array of integers, write a function to remove any duplicates (e.g. 1,2,3,3,3,4,4,5 would go to 1,2,3,4,5)   View Answers (2)

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Expedia.

Interview Details – Interview process was fairly fast but a bit heavy. There were 4 technical interviews and 1 HR. It turns out to be not too difficult as some questions are duplicated in all the interviews.

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was done through a recruiter and not a lot was negotiable.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!