Expedia Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

1 Phone interview 4 Rounds of Onsite interview The interview had lot of data structures and algorithm questions. But all of them were straight forward out of college questions. None of them were difficult. ANd again - few technical questions too.

Interview Questions

• NDA , Unable to disclose (But mostly data structures and algorithms.) Careercup and glassdoor will reach you. Nothing difficult at all.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied on Career Fair. Asked for a on campus after career fair. Then scheduled on site after 1 month. On campus interview was quite easy. You need to write a stack and flatten a binary search tree. Onsite interview was related to data structure and algorithm. The interviewer were nice and helpful. I believe my last interviewer knew I'm pretty tired at that moment and asked me some Q&A questions.

Interview Questions

• I choose to respect the NDA. However, the questions were related to data structure and algorithm. It should not be a problem if you are an algorithm master.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with them at the career fair, conversed with their recruiters. We discussed about my resume and projects/previous Experiences. In the next week or so was contacted for a phone interview(screen) with some technical questions with a developer. After passing phone screen got flown in for a onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• How to find K most frequently occurring elements.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Initial recruiter screen for 15 minutes. Then asked to schedule a phone interview. Questions on resume and technical background. In the phone interview was asked to design a black jack card game.

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Short, on-campus interview. Then a full afternoon of interviews. Mostly simple technical questions, with a few more complex questions mixed in. The questions depended highly on the interviewer. Each interviewer seemed to have a lot of autonomy about what to ask. 2/3 technical material, 1/3 personal questions. They allowed you to use any language when solving technical questions, even pseudo code. Overall great interview process.

Interview Questions

• What do you do in your free time? Sports, hobbies, etc...?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in October 2014.

Interview

Talked to an engineer at a career fair in school. Engineer seemed interested so invited me to a on-campus interview (30 mins long). There, she asked me to describe a project in detail, then told me to implement in-order tree traversal, both recursively and iteratively. 2 days after that, someone on their University Recruiting staff reached out and informed me that I was being invited to an on-site interview, all expenses paid. We picked a date, but about 2 weeks before the interview, the recruiter contacted me and informed me that they were postponing my interview by a week, which is fine. I can't talk about the details of the on-site interview, since they made me sign an NDA before starting, which I will honor. The on-site interview consists of 4 1-hour interviews. They focus primarily on technicals, though you're expected to have a basic understanding of Expedia's business model, though not in great detail. The on-site interviews are quite intensive, because they don't really give you a break in between; you're stuck in a conference room with a whiteboard, where software engineers come in and talk to you. The questions focus primarily on data structures and algorithms, though you should know Java programming constructs really well as well. I would say that the on-site interview is surprisingly challenging, more challenging than Microsoft's. I was informed of my rejection 3 business days after the on-site interview concluded.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

The process took 2 weeks. The recruiter asked basic data structure and math problems. It was immediately after a career fair at college. Nice recruiter with direct technical questions. Positive experience.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia.

Interview

I was contacted via an Expedia recruiter asking if I was open and looking for new opportunities. I said yes, and we got the ball rolling. Phone Screen: The first was a technical phone screen, nothing new here. I was asked about things on my resume for the first 30 minutes and then had a technical question for the last 30 minutes. I got a callback the next morning asking for an on campus interview. The recruiter and I emailed back and forth and scheduled an interview for the next week. A recruiting coordinator emailed me to confirm and gave me a schedule of who I was interviewing with and the times. On Campus Interview: I was scheduled for 5 different interviews back to back. When I arrived and checked in, I was given a packet with my interview schedule and nice articles about what a great company Expedia is. I hadn't noticed until later that my list of interviewers had slightly changed (will be relevant later). First and second interviewer were normal, asking me about my resume and then there were some technical questions. My third interviewer was 30 minutes, (he wasn't on my original interviewer list so I assumed he got the notice last minute), but because of that it pushed my next interviews shorter and later as well. I believe since this interviewer wasn't prepared he gave me a technical problem that I thought was a little hard for a technical interview. (String permutation, I have made additional comments below about it). The fourth and fifth interviews went as normal as they could after. My fifth interviewer had told me I would receive a response within 3 days, unfortunately (as I expected), I had not heard anything in a week. It was only after I had emailed the recruiter again that she got back to me, saying that it was a no.

Interview Questions

• Find all the permutations of a string.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Questions

• 1. Reverse a string. 2. Remove duplicates in a string. 3. Lots of queries involving JOINs. 4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Expedia in December 2013.

Interview

Been contacted in Linkedin, didn't really go with high hope but was hoping for some good interview experience. Except for one engineer who has a simple, yet interesting question rest of the questions were either behavioral or just conversation where I questioned what technical ability, I was probed on. One of the interviewers literally struggled/confused with some of the fundamentals, at which point I totally lost interest in that job. The meeting with one of the senior director was just awful, he seemed to be so disinterested in the process itself that he couldn't control his yawn.