Expedia Software Development Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014

3.5

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia.

The process took 2 weeks. The recruiter asked basic data structure and math problems. It was immediately after a career fair at college. Nice recruiter with direct technical questions. Positive experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

I was contacted via an Expedia recruiter asking if I was open and looking for new opportunities. I said yes, and we got the ball rolling.

Phone Screen:
    The first was a technical phone screen, nothing new here. I was asked about things on my resume for the first 30 minutes and then had a technical question for the last 30 minutes.

I got a callback the next morning asking for an on campus interview. The recruiter and I emailed back and forth and scheduled an interview for the next week. A recruiting coordinator emailed me to confirm and gave me a schedule of who I was interviewing with and the times.

On Campus Interview:
    I was scheduled for 5 different interviews back to back. When I arrived and checked in, I was given a packet with my interview schedule and nice articles about what a great company Expedia is. I hadn't noticed until later that my list of interviewers had slightly changed (will be relevant later).

First and second interviewer were normal, asking me about my resume and then there were some technical questions.

My third interviewer was 30 minutes, (he wasn't on my original interviewer list so I assumed he got the notice last minute), but because of that it pushed my next interviews shorter and later as well. I believe since this interviewer wasn't prepared he gave me a technical problem that I thought was a little hard for a technical interview. (String permutation, I have made additional comments below about it).

The fourth and fifth interviews went as normal as they could after.

My fifth interviewer had told me I would receive a response within 3 days, unfortunately (as I expected), I had not heard anything in a week. It was only after I had emailed the recruiter again that she got back to me, saying that it was a no.

Interview Questions
    • Find all the permutations of a string.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia in May 2014.

Applied online through their website ,Got call from the recruiter and arranged the phone screening. The questions were standard coding and database questions and hiring manager set me up for onsite interview. Had 5 1:1 interviews and it was of average difficulty with no breaks inbetween. Was asked to code on board even during lunch interview. Most of the interviewers started working on their laptop when I was writing code on board.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Reverse a string.
      2. Remove duplicates in a string.
      3. Lots of queries involving JOINs.
      4. Given 2 integer arrays, find common elements.
        Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Expedia in December 2013.

Been contacted in Linkedin, didn't really go with high hope but was hoping for some good interview experience. Except for one engineer who has a simple, yet interesting question rest of the questions were either behavioral or just conversation where I questioned what technical ability, I was probed on. One of the interviewers literally struggled/confused with some of the fundamentals, at which point I totally lost interest in that job. The meeting with one of the senior director was just awful, he seemed to be so disinterested in the process itself that he couldn't control his yawn.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in November 2013.

I applied through university recruiting. I had an on-campus technical interview. After 3days, I was invited for a full loop interview at the company location. The full loop had 5 rounds of interview, all of which were technical white board coding. The technical questions focused on data structures, algorithms, design patterns, behavioral questions and testing. I was interviewed in November 2013 and the process took 3 weeks. After the full loop interview, the result was informed in three days.

The whole process was neat, smooth and challenging!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Expedia.

Applied on the career website and got scheduled for a telephone interview within a week. After the phone screen, got called for an on-site interview in Bellevue. Met and interviewed with the team - developers, manager and director. Interview lasted around 5-6 hours. Questions were varied - covered computer science concepts and some programming questions. The interviewers were professional in their approach and ensured that I was comfortable through the whole process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia in November 2012.

I went to a career-fair and was asked to do a on-campus 45 min interview the next day. I was contacted about a month later for a 4-hour on-site interview. Expedia is a JAVA company even though they said to use any language I am comfortable with to write my code. I chose c++ and asked questions like asking for the length of the array, they said it will not be a parameter value which forces me to use a different language and not one that I initially chose and am comfortable with.

Interview Questions
    • tracing recursive method that are called multiple times in the same method.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in April 2012.

First I got a call from Sr Recruiter for phone screening. First interview is HR type containing some behavioral questions and description about position. For the second round I got pair of question and she told me to code them and return back within 45 min. Third round was with Sr Developer. That was mostly related to scalability question. I got rejection after third round.

Interview Questions
    • For your web application how thousands of user communicate with your database simultaneously ? Do they every time go through Connect Db - Fetch result - Close Connection ? Or there is some other way ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia in February 2011.

Phone Interview with a Project Manager where I was asked a coding question and a design question (don't remember what the questions were). I passed the phone interview and they flow me out to their HQ (all expenses paid for).

5 rounds of interviews starting at 9am.

Round 1: I thought I botched this interview because I was asked several questions on C, Java and Python (advantages and disadvantages of each language). I was then asked one coding question on a modified queue data structure where one class is only responsible for insertion and another for removal of data.

Round 2: We talked about one of my projects for the entire duration of the interview. The interviewer was completely fascinated with my project and asked me to map out the system flow on the whiteboard.

Round 3: 3 coding questions involving Texas-Hold Em: write a method to find a pair, three cards, and a straight.

Round 4: Team manager lunch interview. Just chatted the whole time. Very relaxed experience.

Round 5: Rotated binary search question (if you look through the interview questions on this site, someone else may have posted this question), and a design question for a parking garage.

Interview Questions
    • Rotated Binary Search problem (values at the end of the array are shifted to the front where the array remains to be in a sorted order)   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Expedia in December 2009.

The hiring manager called me the previous day to schedule a time. One of the development managers called me at the agreed time. He asked my previous experiences. Asked few questions while I was explaining my projects. Then he gave me a problem to solve. Converting two D char array to a int array with space efficient as I can.

Interview Questions
    • Converting two D char array to a int array with space efficient as I can.   View Answer