Expedia Software Development Manager Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

I reached out to to a former colleague who set things in motion. Two weeks later, I heard from the recruiting team and two weeks after that, the interview loop took place. Three days after the interview loop, I got the news that they were interested and three days after that, I got the details on the initial offer. From start to finish, the whole process took a little over a month.

The interviews, for a manager role, were tough but fair, with more emphasis on management questions than than on technical questions. Some very good discussions and interaction with me rather than on rapidly firing questions and silently taking notes. The loop was one of the better loops I've been involved with and I came away impressed with the team.

Interview Questions

• A question on network performance issues and potential solutions, one of the rare technical questions.   Answer Question

This was a tough decision but another offer on the table was a slightly better fit.

Other Interview Reviews for Expedia

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in July 2013.

Interview

This was the most impressive process. From start to offer it was about two weeks. I had informational discussions with the hiring director. That resulted into a phone screen. Nothing too difficult. Situational and the typical bar raiser kind questions. After that next week I came in for a loop. The whole process was well explained. I had 5 hour loop. The loop as with different directors, managers and architect. I didn't find it difficult. I talked a lot, white boarded a lot. But it was all fun. It felt like great environment where we were bouncing ideas. Lot of situational questions. Some high level design/arch questions. Once the idea was proposed it was challenged with some other level of increasing difficulty/complexity. And so on... I won't provide the exact questions as I signed an NDA.
    Within two days I was told they were going to extend an offer. They made the offer which was within my ask. I accepted.

Interview Questions

• I can't provide the exact questions as I signed an NDA?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate a lot. Vacation and pay is pretty standard, not a lot of room to negotiate. There is room to negotiate sign-on bonus.

Manager, Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

I knew some folks working at Expedia, so I was interested in joining. I reached-out to them, and talked about a couple positions I found online. I applied online, attached my resume and cover letter, and received a phone call within a couple days.

The interview loop was with 5 people, each for 1 hour; there was a 30 minute "interview free" lunch (lunch provided by Expedia)--this was great benefit to me, as it allowed me to reflect on the first 2 interviews of the loop.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most challenging production issue you've faced.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations weren't difficult. The original offer was pretty good, so there was just 1 negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Expedia (Bellevue, WA) in October 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter via email within days of submitting my resume. The scheduling of the interview was very prompt. I was told to reserve about 6 hours for the day of the interview. The actual time taken was 5 hours.

I met with the hiring manager, a peer of the hiring manager, the supervisor for the hiring manager, a peer program manager and a peer at my position.

Everyone was very well informed on the business model and expected a level of understanding of the space Expedia operates in. So make sure to research the company, the business process and figure out how your career experience has prepared you to work at Expedia.

The peer interview was a bit unpleasant and the person was somewhat confrontational. He was more interested in demonstrating his intelligence than validating my competence. If you have any questions, feel free to ask for clarifications. It also gives you some time to process your answer without having extended periods of silence.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an unproductive offshore teams?   1 Answer
    • Design the order entry process for Expedia and identify possible gaps? Note: Make sure to address two phase commit issues.   Answer Question
    • Design a vending machine. Identify interfaces, validation and data structures for efficient usage.   Answer Question
    • What data structure would you use for organizing a large phone book? How would you search efficiently through it?   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Expedia in July 2008.

Interview

It is microsoft like style interview. Most questions were about processes, negotiation skills, and couching developers. Expedia uses offshore development centers, so a lot of questions were in offshore management. The company used to be Program Mangers heavy, so I was asked to sketch a spec , and collect requirements for a sample project. As a development manager, I expected coding questions, but the interviewers said that they believe in my coding skills because of my previous employers.

Interview Questions

• How many people did you fire in your management carrier?   Answer Question