Exploratorium

Exploratorium Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Exploratorium

High School Explainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Exploratorium in June 2010.

First you call on a certain day to get an interview. Suggested that you call early as possible and most likely during your school hours. It's first come first served for about 60 interview spots. You interview with two current explainers and then 1:1 with a supervisor. Simple questions such as what you are interested in at school, how you heard about the job, how you whould discribe yourself, what you think it the job is. No question is wrong. It's really more of a judge of your personality. If you make a good impression on the Explainer then you have a good chance of being hired.

Interview Questions
    You should get an offer back with about 2 weeks. Lots of paid job training.

Exhibit Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Exploratorium in March 2010.

Very open communication with the hiring manager led to a day of interviews. Interviewers were varied, from different groups within the institution, and provided a good view into work processes at the museum.

Interviewers asked a wide variety of questions, as much about working processes and personality fit as about anything directly related to applicable skills. My position included programming skills; there were no "quizzes" but I was asked to submit a code sample. Interviews are more conversational than Q/A.

Based on my interview and subsequent interviews that I performed, it's clear that cultural fit is of primary importance; portfolio / previous work speaks for itself in terms of technical fit and ability.

Interview Questions
    • Why specifically do you want to work here?   View Answer
    Negotiation is almost impossible due to the wage schedule mandated by union-management negotiations, but my manager managed to get me in at a higher starting grade and thus get a slight bump in base salary.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Exploratorium in January 2010.

The interviewer was very unprofessional that I had to file a HR report about his behavior.

Research Assistant Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Exploratorium in January 2010.

one hour phone interview, to be followed by a 2-3 hour face-to-face informal skills test a couple of weeks later.

Interview Questions
    They are pretty fair and the pay and benefit package is pretty black and white, so I couldn't think of what I've negotiated for. I was pretty satisfied with their offer.