Exponent

Getting the Interview

38 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Exponent.

Interview Details – I've only had the first interview so far. It was fairly informal and included four members of the group. They asked me questions about my research background and why I was interested in a position there. I asked about the current projects, work culture, and the expectations as far as networking and billable hours go.

Interview Question – They asked what strategies I would use to build clientele.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Exponent.

Interview Details – Very challenging two-part interview: presentation and technical questions. Must come prepared and well-rested. Takes a full day. Presentation must be of a technical nature (45 mins). I cannot emphasize enough presentation practice.

Interview Question – The main difficulty is the length of the interview.   View Answer

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Exponent.

Interview Details – After expressing interest in the company I was invited to lunch at the Menlo Park office. Talked to several people from the group I was interested in working. Though these lunches are considered informal, you ARE being evaluated and it pays off to be well prepared and research the people you'll be meeting.
I then had a phone interview with a senior manager - this is a great opportunity to get your questions answered and to show genuine interest in the position.
After the phone conversation, was invited for a full day interview, which included a technical presentation. The presentation is extremely important: make it as broad as possible while emphasizing your ability to work with others and solve problems. If you've gotten this far in the process they know you have good technical skills, now you have to prove that you have the ability to communicate effectively ("give me a 3min summary of your research" was a popular question) and answer questions on the fly.

Interview Question – The most "interview-y" type questions were asked by the HR representative. They're not difficult, but they expect concise answers:
how do you plan to market yourself?
what do you think Exponent does?
what do consultants do?
how much of your project was team-based?
how did you hear about us?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for signing bonus,, was told it wasn't available, signed my contract a few days later.

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Exponent in August 2013.

Interview Details – If you can get an interview, you have the academic credentials. What Exponent is interested in mostly is a fit of personality and a fit of culture.

First, you must be a dynamic, flexible, confident, and socially capable human being. This is definitely not true in many other 'technical' jobs, but it's true here.

Second, you must be a generalist. People who are focused on their own tiny area of research would not do well with the diversity of work Exponent performs, and are not hired.

Third, keep an open and fresh mind- your interviewers will probably begin by saying "So your background is in electronic thin films, right? Alright, I have a corroded shovel problem here for you to solve."

Finally, you must know how to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely, without getting bogged down by details. Interviewers are not looking for technical mastery- they are looking for creative associations, problem-solving toolsets, and professional honesty.

Also...don't screw up the presentation. Prepare. Seriously.

Interview Question – This is not a research job, nor an engineer position. If you're unsure of what is involved with consulting and characterizes the daily life, don't bother applying until you've done some research.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate- didn't want to start on the wrong foot, and the compensation is enough for the lifestyle requirements.

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Exponent in April 2013.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews

Interview Question – fairly straight forward questions. Mostly describe my work/research experience.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Exponent in September 2013.

Interview Details – After informal two phone interview, they invite me for the onsight interview. Onsight interview was quite professional, meeting with 6 engineeris and presenting my research for an hour. They were very gentle and nice and looks professional. The interview took for around 6 hours.

Interview Question – How do you market yourself? Why do you want the consulting work?   Answer Question

Senior Scientist Interview

Senior Scientist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Exponent in June 2010.

Interview Details – I did an initial phone interview with an HR person (about 10 minutes). I then did a second phone interview with my potential bosses (about 25-30 minutes). I then came in and interviewed with 5-6 people and did a 45 minute presentation. The final interview with presentation was about 4 hours.

Interview Question – Most were general questions to see if the interviewer would like me and then they answered my questions. Relatively easy interview. The only issue was that this was over a few hours.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had provided a salary range when I applied and they emailed an offer letter with and offer in the range. I then sent an email with my counter offer and they accepted.

Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Exponent in May 2013.

Interview Details – Had 2 phone interviews so far. 1st one with HR recruiter, the 2nd with manager. Both went well. Invited to do formal on-site interview with 1-hr long presentation on my research.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Exponent

Interview Details – Had a phone interview. Asked typical questions. Talked about the company. Lasted about 40 minutes. The interview process consisted of the recruiting manager telling me a lot about the company and asking me whether I would want to do consulting work or not. The most common question that I received during the phone interview was seeing if I would want to do consulting work.

Interview Question – Most questions were typical questions on the phone.   View Answer

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Exponent in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone meeting. After scheduling a date and time, the recruiter canceled at the last minute and rescheduled for the following week. She failed to call at the rescheduled time, and sent me an email later explaining that she remembered the time wrong. We then rescheduled again for the following morning, but the recruiter was again nowhere to be found. So in total, I scheduled three appointments with Exponent which resulted in one cancellation and two no-shows. On each occasion I had to rearrange my own schedule to make time, which is especially annoying since my thesis defense is only a few weeks away. I'm not even sure exactly which position I was being considered for (I applied to several), but am certain I would not want to work at a company with such a lack of professionalism.

Interview Question – The most difficult "question" was whether the recruiter would honor our agreed meeting time. In my case, the answer was "no" - three times.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Exponent

Worked for Exponent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exponent interview questions and advice. All 38 interview reviews posted anonymously by Exponent employees and interview candidates.