Express

2.2

Express Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Express in August 2014.

I went in personally to the stores asking if they were hiring and was referred to their website. The very first person I ended up talking to was the Hiring Manager, Dani, she is so extremely sweet and fun to talk to. I went and applied online that same day, Friday, I was called 2 days later to have a group interview on the coming Thursday. The interview process was very simple. Dani brought us to the back room of the store and we all sat around a table. She asked us for our names and why we believed we would make a good asset to the company and what our strengths were. We were also asked, How do you believe selling is different than customer service?; What past experiences have you had in selling?; What experiences have you had that you were in a stressful, multitasking, situation?; Who are you, and why do we want you as an employee?; Where do you see yourself in 10 years?. Thats all I can remember at the moment, but they were very general questions. They also allowed us to ask questions of them. Ask questions like: What do you expect from your employees?; Are there many opportunities to move up in the company? Those are the questions I asked and they were impressed, everyone else was asking questions like, "whats been your favorite part of working here; what have you learned most from this job?" At the end of the interview we were all told that we'll receive a callback within the next few days with our status. We shook hands, and left the interview. It went pretty well. I received a call on Saturday asking for one more reference, because my current references weren't answering their phones. So I got her one more reference, she called them, called me back, and offered me a job, which I happily accepted. I will be attending orientation this coming Thursday.

Interview Questions
    It's not the kind of job you can negotiate salary with. You should be going in before-hand knowing what you're applying for, and what your states current minimum wage is, and what to expect for your hourly wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brownsville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brownsville, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Express in August 2014.

Got called a week after applied. Went to group interview in dress attire.Shirt, slacks, dress shoes. You need to take at least 3 references that you're gonna have to write down in your application they have, but instead what I did was printed out my references and made it look professional with a references template from MS Word. The manager interviewed us and asked us to introduce ourselves. I told her 'My name is __ but everyone calls me __. I'm 18, I recently graduated from __ and I decided to take a break from school because I want to get some real life experience." Sweet short and to the point. TIPS: 1. Try to talk as much as possible, not about whatever you wanna say but just be interactive and let the manager know you know how to communicate and not afraid to talk because they don't want shy people. (everyone says I'm shy, yet I was the one talking the most there) 2. Look at all the interview questions posted on this website for Express, memorize and answer to all of them. The manager is just going to get a list of questions and ask anyone at random so be prepared. 3.SMILE, when the manager says something to the group, say something back as quick as possible so he/she knows you're real interested. 4.Stand out by dressing the nicest, say good morning/afternoon, shake hands, thank yous. So they said they were gonna call back the next week (4-10 days after) but they never did.They called back the week after that week and said they were really busy. If you think you did good in the interview, be patient and wait for the call.Overall, good short interview (15 min. max).

Interview Questions
    No experience so I got min. wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Express in August 2014.

I applied online and a week later I called the store to check on the status of my application. The lady told me that the talent manager was on vacation and she took my name and number down. She didn't tell me when the manager would be back so a couple of days later I called again and got the same answer. She remembered me and told me that I would get a call. About a week after that I got a call from the talent manager and she scheduled for me to come in for an interview a couple of days later. It was a group interview and I was nervous because this was my first group interview. There was 3 of us total and the interview was pretty laid back.

She had us introduce ourselves and say something that she wouldn't have known from looking at our application. She then asked us questions like Why do you want to work at express? Tell me a time where you had a difficult customer and what was the outcome. Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer. To you, what's the difference between selling and customer service? What position do you think is more important? And a few other pretty standard questions I can't remember.

At the end we got our chance to ask questions and I asked about opportunities which employers do like. She said that she will call the references that we put down and if we were hired, she would call to schedule orientation. Since I already had a job and was going to school, I didn't think I would get a call but 2 days later I got a call asking if I want to join the team. I accepted and I have orientation the following week.

None, didn't even bring up pay but I wouldn't be surprise if it's minimum wage

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Express in August 2014.

Applied online. Got a phone call two days later to set up an interview. Interview questions were easy with a few situational questions. They ask for two personal references so come prepared. Called back 2 days later to do orientation.

Interview Questions
    • If you see a customer throw a stack of jeans into her stroller and walk off, what do you do?   Answer Question
    They aren't really open to negotiation. Their start pay is what you are going to get.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview process is pretty much a joke. If you can formulate a sentence and answer a phone, then the job is yours. Applied online, got a call, went in for a group interview, got a call 2 days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    Hell no I couldn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Express.

Applied on-line and got a call back about two weeks later. Went in a couple days laters for my interview, the manager liked my personality and experience and was offered the job right on the spot. They said they would call with a orientation date, but after a week I called back to set it up. Went to the orientation and started within the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation with a unhappy customer and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, got offered a good amount.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Express.

I applied online at the website. I received a call about 3 days later for an interview that week. It turned out to be a group interview with 4 other people. He asked questions about how you sold an item before, if you think selling or customer service is more important. Basic stuff like that. I got pulled aside to speak to the other manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Express in July 2014.

I applied online then like a week or so later I missed the first time they called me so they left me a voicemail message saying for me to call them back because they want to setup a interview me and so I called them back and my interview was later that same exact week and now right before my interview the mall fire alarm went off so that of course delayed things but as soon as I got into the store the manager who interviewed me wasn't ready at first so I just walked around the store for a bit then he told me that another manager had just called the store to speak with him and to give him 20 minutes and so I walked around the mall for 20 minutes and came back and was finally interviewed

Co Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Express.

Company likes to hire from within. Even to get to a management position you have to work your way up. For part time associates, take the time to look the part. I'm not interested in seeing your jeans and tshirt that don't fit.

Express Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Express.

I called the store and asked if they were hiring and luckily the hiring manager answered the phone and she said yes. She asked if I had any retail experience and I had a little bit so she told me to apply on-line then she wrote my name down. I applied after we hung up on the phone and the next day I called the store to ask to speak to hiring manager and was told she would not be in until 1pm so I went to the mall at 1pm so I could personally speak to her to follow up on my application (Luckily I did because she couldn't find it in the system) She told me to come back for an interview the following Monday (if do go in and talk to a manger be very presentable-be clean, dressed well-and very knowledgeable) The actual interview lasted 15 minutes long. It was me and several other candidates for the position. It was very relaxed and somewhat informal. Dress to kill and wear the brand if you own it-they like that.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions..."What would you do if you had an upset customer....A difficult obstacle you over came..."   View Answer
    They do NOT negotiate the starting base pay. It is MINIMUM wage no matter how qualified you are. You have to work your way up, but if you show that you truly are a GREAT hard worker you can move up quickly in management if you would like. If not wait for your annual raise.