Express Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014

2.1

184 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

There was only one interview for me. The interview was held as a group interview. Us candidates were asked questions by the store manager. I would recommend sitting closer towards the front, it shows initiative and a real interest to work for the company!

Interview Questions
  • The store manager had an old shoe laying around, and we were tasked to pretend sell it. The manager watched how we tried to talk up the item and relate it to the customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Express

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Express in September 2014.

Applied online and got a call a few days later for Interview. I did my research and figured it would be a piece of cake. However none of the questions I was expecting were asked. The manager spent most of the time talking about the company, then proceeded to ask us one company we would not recommend to others and then one that we would. Then she asked about the last job we had and said she'll call if she was interested.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Express in September 2014.

Went in today for an interview, arrived 30 minutes early. The interview took only about 10 mins, I was asked about previous work experience in retail. 10 mins later got a call to come to orientation from 5pm-9pm this coming Friday! Overall they are looking for friendly people who can work at a fast pace. I actually buy a lot from express so the hiring manager noticed my clothing, guess that helped out a little too. I went dressed in executive/formal clothing.

Interview Questions
    If you have no retail experience don't negotiate your salary. Everyone starts at $8:25, at least here in NJ.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Express.

Asked about my education and desire working for the company. Discussed future goals, eye for fashion, and trends. Discussed my availability and what kind of position I was seeking.

No negotiation, but possibly of promotion to Fashion Expert.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Modesto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Express.

I applied online and received a call back after a few days for a group interview. The group interview went smoothly, was about 7-9 people and we took turns answering questions. Questions included:
    Why do you want to work here?
    How would you be described in a high school reunion in three words?
    What's the difference between selling a product and customer service?
    It took about 20 minutes total for the interview. I received a call asking for a reference, and a week later was offered the position.
    Overall was a friendly yet to the point interview :)
    Very excited to be working for Express!

Interview Questions
    • Is the customer always right?
      I liked this question because we got some varied answers in our group. I wouldn't consider it a difficult question, but just to provide something here.
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express.

I applied online and a week or two later they called me and asked for an interview. When you get there you realize that it's not a 1 on 1 interview, it's a group interview. There was a group of 4 of us. They asked questions related to customer service (what was the most difficult customer you had and how did you deal with them? what does customer service mean to you? etc.) They tell you they'll call within 3 days or so. I was called later the same day and was offered the job. They then set you up with a time to go to orientation and fill out your I-9 Form.

Interview Questions
    They didn't give you much room to negotiate. You enter your availability online and put you in the schedule the next full week.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

I applied online. Next week, got a call for a group interview with 4 other people. At the end of the interview, the co-manager said we needed a reference to call that week, so next wk we can find out whether or not we got the job.

The interview was pretty low-key. No clique questions asked. She actually thought some up on her own.
    (I haven't gotten a call. Just waiting for next wk)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brownsville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brownsville, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

Got called a week after applied. Went to group interview in dress attire.Shirt, slacks, dress shoes. You need to take at least 3 references that you're gonna have to write down in your application they have, but instead what I did was printed out my references and made it look professional with a references template from MS Word. The manager interviewed us and asked us to introduce ourselves. I told her 'My name is __ but everyone calls me __. I'm 18, I recently graduated from __ and I decided to take a break from school because I want to get some real life experience." Sweet short and to the point. TIPS: 1. Try to talk as much as possible, not about whatever you wanna say but just be interactive and let the manager know you know how to communicate and not afraid to talk because they don't want shy people. (everyone says I'm shy, yet I was the one talking the most there) 2. Look at all the interview questions posted on this website for Express, memorize and answer to all of them. The manager is just going to get a list of questions and ask anyone at random so be prepared. 3.SMILE, when the manager says something to the group, say something back as quick as possible so he/she knows you're real interested. 4.Stand out by dressing the nicest, say good morning/afternoon, shake hands, thank yous. So they said they were gonna call back the next week (4-10 days after) but they never did.They called back the week after that week and said they were really busy. If you think you did good in the interview, be patient and wait for the call.Overall, good short interview (15 min. max).

Interview Questions
    No experience so I got min. wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amherst, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express in August 2014.

I applied online and a week later I called the store to check on the status of my application. The lady told me that the talent manager was on vacation and she took my name and number down. She didn't tell me when the manager would be back so a couple of days later I called again and got the same answer. She remembered me and told me that I would get a call. About a week after that I got a call from the talent manager and she scheduled for me to come in for an interview a couple of days later. It was a group interview and I was nervous because this was my first group interview. There was 3 of us total and the interview was pretty laid back.

She had us introduce ourselves and say something that she wouldn't have known from looking at our application. She then asked us questions like Why do you want to work at express? Tell me a time where you had a difficult customer and what was the outcome. Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer. To you, what's the difference between selling and customer service? What position do you think is more important? And a few other pretty standard questions I can't remember.

At the end we got our chance to ask questions and I asked about opportunities which employers do like. She said that she will call the references that we put down and if we were hired, she would call to schedule orientation. Since I already had a job and was going to school, I didn't think I would get a call but 2 days later I got a call asking if I want to join the team. I accepted and I have orientation the following week.

None, didn't even bring up pay but I wouldn't be surprise if it's minimum wage

Sales Associate Interview

Interview process is pretty much a joke. If you can formulate a sentence and answer a phone, then the job is yours. Applied online, got a call, went in for a group interview, got a call 2 days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    Hell no I couldn't negotiate.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!