Express

Average Difficulty
166 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Des Moines, IA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Express in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and called the manager a few days later. Went to the store and set up an interview. Met with assistant manager and had interview. The interview was quick and fairly standard. Was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Question – How do you balance tasks, like straightening clothes and taking care of customers.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none, pay was offered and hours were offered. No negotiation.

Buffalo, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at Express in January 2014.

Interview Details – Less than formal interview process, I walked in and asked if they were hiring so they handed me an application and afterwards they asked if I had a few minutes and proceeded with the interview. Just asked the general interview questions, past experience, why I wanted to work there, etc...After a 10-15 minute interview I was asked when I could start.

Interview Question – Please tell me a time you resolved a customer dispute effectively.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details – Sometimes if a manager is available, he or she will interview you right then and there, or sometimes they will call you to schedule and appointment when you can come in for an interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the company?   Answer Question

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details – Group Interview, very laid back and relaxed interview. I was with 4 other people and we were all encourage to speak up so I tried to answer each question without seeming like I did not care about the others getting interview,

Interview Question – Was asked more about customer experience and what good customer service should be.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A bit, Wish I could get a higher pay but was told that I had the ability to promote quickly

Very Easy Interview

Frisco, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Express in June 2014.

Interview Details – Note: GLASSDOOR REVIEWS REALLY HELP!

Applied online and heard within a few days for a group interview; very chill and even enjoyable. Definitely one of the best interviews I've had and a great experience!
They do check your references, but the interview is definitely the most important.

Just be friendly and fashionable, and be genuine in what you are saying. :)

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Minimum wage; did not negotiate because I have no prior retail experience.

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express in October 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is a group interview in which you sit with hiring manager and other candidates for sales associate position and the hiring manager asks question to someone but with the soul purpose of everyone to interact; that way the hiring manager observes how does everyone communicates.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details – In person one on one interview. After they review you application, they will give you a call to come in and set-up an interview time, or they will ask you on the phone to set up an interview time. When you go to the interview, try to wear express clothing to show that you like representing the brand.

Interview Question – Why did you choose Express instead of any other store?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person - interviewed at Express in May 2014.

Interview Details – walked in and asked if they were hiring. The manager told me to apply online and come in two days later for an interview. They said the were going to hire me but the manager is on vacation and said she would get back to me as soon as possible.

Interview Question – what does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Express in August 2010.

Interview Details – There was only one interview. They actually call your references. Questions were standard...what kind of experience do you have, what would you do in certain situations? They also expect you to have some kind of knowledge of current fashion trends...make sure to dress in a "fashion forward" manner.

Interview Question – They were all pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This was my first job so I wasn't expecting much. They offer minimum wage and are hardly looking to wiggle up at all, especially if you have no experience.

Interviewed at Express

Interview Details – I applied online and they called me asking me to come in. It was a group interview and very casual. They just asked a to tell a little about myself and what I would do in certain situations. It was really more about your personality than the questions, after all its a customer driven job.

Interview Question – There really weren't any unusual questions. They asked me what I would do if I suspected an associate was stealing, what was a difficult situation that I had to deal with. Pretty basic stuff.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Express

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Express Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 166 interview reviews posted anonymously by Express employees and interview candidates.