Express

Average Difficulty
177 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details – Interviewee did most of the talking. The manger would ask a question and made comments from time to time. Was actually one of the most enjoyable interviews I had experienced. Very friendly, kind, funny, and actually felt like they were listening to my answers.

Interview Question – When trying to sell someone on an idea and you get rejected, what do you do with that rejection?   Answer Question

Langhorne, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Express in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, received a phone call asking to set up an interview, and attended the interview. I was asked your standard interview questions for a retail job like "Describe a time when you had a difficult customer and how you handled it."

Interview Question – All questions were straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The manager that hired me was not open to negotiation, however, the turnover in retail is high. There have been 4 managers since and all seem more open to negotiation.

Harrisonburg, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Express in April 2014.

Interview Details – Called the store to see if it would be better to submit my application online or come in an fill out one. The girl told me it is much faster if I come in and get an application because it would get to her manager immediately. I brought it back the same day and the manager spoke with me for a bit about what I was looking for and if I would be interested in management. She then scheduled me for an interview the very next day. When I arrived at 3:20 for my 3:30 interview time, I was informed that manager was running late from her break she had taken. She finally showed up at 3:50 (a bit unprofessional in my opinion). I had read reviews prior to going in and everyone said they had a group interview. I didn't think mine was, but it turned out to be. Heads up- when you are walking from the store to the place in mall where they plan on conducting the interview, it is part of the interview to see if you have a fast pace so keep up with the manager or even walk ahead. She told us that after we had sat down. She asked about 5 questions and would take turns hearing our responses. I found it extremely hard to "sell myself" and show that I would a great sales person there. One girl kept rambling and asking questions afterwards which made the interview last over an hour. After the interview was over, we were free to go and she said she had 4 more interviews to do and we should here back middle of next week. Pay is minimum wage- no room for negotiating as the company has taken a hit like other retail stores. An the employee discount is like 30 or 35%.

I am putting "no" for if I was offered a job because I have yet to hear back...I will edit if possible if I do get hired

Interview Questions

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details – I only had one interview before being hired. It was a group interview with the general manager and two other girls who were applying, just as I was. The interview lasted approximately an hour and consisted of various questions concerning customer service, interest in fashion, and what hobbies we all enjoy outside of the work environment.

Interview Question – What is a time that you either had wonderful or horrible customer service at a restaurant, grocery store, clothing store, etc?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate on the hourly wage, which I was very discouraged by, but I really wanted the job for the retail experience, so I accepted anyways. I was able to negotiate my way out of working Black Friday, which is a required work day at Express.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details – Did an online application, they got back to me within a few days. They do a phone interview first and then a group interview if they like you enough. They ask a lot of questions about selling to customers and getting them to sign up for the company credit cards they are so fond of.

Interview Question – They ask if you can sell a credit card and then go around in a circle asking each candidate how they would sell the credit card to customers. They stress how important it is to be able to sell them. They also talked about how important it was to be loyal to the brand by wearing only Express to work and giving a discount so that you could buy the IT thing to wear to work.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Express in April 2013.

Interview Details – They call you for your initial interview which is a Group interview. There they ask you about how you will deal with customers in various settings and situations. They ask you about fashion and what you know. Then about a week or two later they give you a call and say that they offer you a position.

Interview Question – The most difficult situation you have ever been in.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No I didn't ask.

Very Easy Interview

Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Express in May 2013.

Interview Details – Lots of questions about customer service and sales

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you changed a customers mind, and were able to sell them something?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express in February 2014.

Interview Details – quick and simple. easy questions related to sales. be prepared

Interview Question – what is your weak point?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Express in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied about 3 months prior to them calling me for an interview. I went for a group interview on Monday, got called back for a one on one interview on Wednesday, and got hired on Thursday.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Express.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NO

Roseville, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Express.

Interview Details – I applied online and then visited the store to check up on the status of my application. They called me to set up an interview, and I attended a group interview. After passing the first round, I met with the store manager and had an additional set of questions.

Interview Question – In the first interview, they asked us to describe our clothing style.   View Answer