Extra Space

Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.6

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Extra Space.

I responded to an ad online and they didn't have a STUPID ASSESSMENT TEST, thank God! Was given a phone screened interview within a week. Once I passed that, I was scheduled to come in for an in-person one. I spoke with the Senior Manager; he basically gave me STAR interview. After I passed he scheduled me to meet with the District Manager for a final interview. In this interview, the DM wants you to sell a storage unit to the SM. Btw, the SM will come up with dozens of excuses why he's hesitant on renting it to throw you off. If you manage to sell the unit, the DM will send you an offer. If you accept, you have to take a drug test and the rest is history!

Interview Questions
The good thing about applying for this job is they tell you what the going rate is on their website.

Other Interview Reviews for Extra Space

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Extra Space.

I applied online. then i got a call for an interview. I had 2 interviews, one with the district learning specialist, then the second with the district manager. Received call for the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • all the questions was pretty much about how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Extra Space in June 2014.

In person interview with district manager, regular behavioral questions, not too hard, just have examples of past experiences. Make sure you present confident, and able to manage a facility.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Extra Space.

Applied on line, received a phone call approximately 1 month later, had a phone interview, then invited for in person interview with district learning specialist. In person interview went well. 1 week later I received a phone call for a second interview. It has been about 5 weeks and I have not heard anything so far.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Extra Space.

NO pressures.

Interview Questions
    • What type of culture do you desire on the job.   View Answer
    Really no negotiation on pay as you will get the middle not top.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Extra Space in August 2013.

First you get a call and asked to fill out a questionnaire online that takes a really long time. Then have 2 face-to-face interviews. Then after that expect a call from the district manager who should have been present at your final hiring interview to discuss drug test and salary.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult customer service case you have had to deal with and what did you do to alleviate?   Answer Question
    Website says pay is 11-16. You will not get above 12 if you are in your 20's. Maybe more if you're older, even though that does not make sense.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Extra Space in July 2013.

Two interviews. Met with a store manager and also the district manager. Both asked a bunch of questions about if you can lift 50 pounds or more and ask if you feel comfortable being outside and cleaning because that is the majority of what you will be doing.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do when you have to meet multiple deadlines.   View Answer
    No negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Extra Space in May 2013.

I'd been applying on line for months, without much response. Then I applied for an Assistant Manager position in my home town and was called a few hours later. Getting the actual interview took more time than usual, mostly because of phone tag. The manager that I interviewed with was very friendly and professional. She had appropriate and well thought out questions to determine my experience and capabilities as they related to the job duties. I thought I nailed the interview, everything went very well and the Manager said that I'd interview with the District Manager before the end of the week. But then, I never heard from the District Manager, when I called the Manager that I interviewed with, she was very evasive. Weird response, disappointing to say the least. I can only imagine that they'd offered the position to a more qualified candidate, but were hesitant to tell me that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Extra Space.

I applied via the website. Got contacted about 10 days later by a location manager for a phone screen which is basically a phone interview. My interview was pretty brief and basically consisted in describing my current job and my duties there. She then just said ok and thanks and hung up. She called me within two hours to schedule an in person interview with her about 2 days later. I went and she liked me alot. She even told me so herself and that she would talk to her DM about me. She asked me about a time when there was a difficult situation with a customer and how did I handle it, my current job duties, what would you say to a customer if there is something they want that is against policy or you simply cant do that for them..questions like that. Typical interview questions. She then scheduled me for an in person interview with the District Manager two days later. This is when things started to go downhill and I was very displeased...

So I went to the interview with the DM and when I got there I was told to have a seat. There were two other people waiting there as well at the same time I was told to come in so it seems they gave all the candidates the same arrival time which isnt very good. Then a few minutes later another person came in. I had to wait 2 hours before I was seen. He made everyone wait a ridiculous amount of time when he couldve just set a wider margin between one interview time and the next. I found that to be very inconsiderate to everyone there. When I was finally seen he basically just proceeded to talk to me about the company and the duties the position would involve and asked me no questions whatsoever as to my job experience or my current job duties or to how I would contribute to the company or my sales experience. Therefore, I had no chance to show him what I can do and sell myself to him. He then proceeded to put me with a Store Associate which is not in a managerial position or qualified to make hiring decisions and told me to go with him and I would have to sell a unit to him. He told me not to worry too much about the sales pitch because he knew it wouldnt be spot on since most of the candidates havent really worked in storage before and that they offered training anyhow. The DM who interviewed me and is the one who makes the hiring decisions didnt come along with us and therefore didnt hear my sales pitch at all of how I would sell a unit to a potential customer. I found that to be absurd and unfair since the associate wasnt qualified to evaluate me. Then after I attempted to sell the unit to the associate and he walked me around the facility he told me that if anything the DM would call me. The whole interview and all the time I waited took 2 hours and in the end I was asked no relevant questions and the only relevant question that was asked was not even evaluated by the recruiter. The next day I received an automated email saying that they had decided to move on with candidates whose qualifications more closely matched what they were looking for.

Overall, I found the experience to be unprofessional, not carried out properly, and a complete waste of my time.