Extra Space District Manager Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Extra Space.

I was instantly attracted to this position and began to apply online. Before you enter in any education/work experience, there are several pre-screening questions. I filled all of these out and then was immediately told I didn't have the position. I was confused since I hadn't entered in any personal information yet and everything I selected on the pre-screen met their requirements. I sent an email to their corporate HR to see if it was a glitch or what the reasoning was...I really wanted that job! They told me I didn't meet the qualifications. Here's where I think the confusion was. The experience requires states "Bachelor's degree OR equivalent of 3-5 years work experience." Since I have a Bachelors degree and 2 years of experience, I interpreted that as one or the other. Either a Bachelor's degree, OR 3-5 years experience. If they're going to deny someone employment before they're able to type in their education and experience, then change the requirements on the job advertisement to say Bachelors degree AND 3-5 years experience.

Extra Space Response

Oct 28, 2013Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback & interest in working at Extra Space Storage.

We are interested in hearing about your District Manager experience. Feel free to contact me Russ Wynn, Recruiting
... More

Other Interview Reviews for Extra Space

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Extra Space in August 2013.

The interview process was lengthy and multifaceted as is the norm for this type of position. It started with an email response back to my online application. I then video conferenced with the recruiter based in Utah which focused on the general type of skills and management style questions after which I was scheduled for another interview with the local HR business partner. So two weeks later I once again interviewed via video conference, the interview went well and she advised me I would be scheduled to meet and interview with the Division Vice President. Two weeks later I interviewed with the DVP as well as the talent manager at the local region office. The interview for the first 40 minutes felt very much like an interrogation about how my current employer ran their operations (I work for a competitor) very few questions about my skills or management style until almost the end of the process. I also interviewed with the Talent Development manager. Before I left the DVP advised me that he was going to also have me meet with a Senior District Manager as this was part of their interview process. (This felt odd as usually you interview with all the underlings and finally with the DVP, this interview seemed backward as now I was set to interview with an underling). A week later I drove out to the bay area to interview with the SDM once again the interviews focus seemed to on my employer’s current operational practices and slightly on my skills. The interview seemed to go well until I received: A thanks for interviewing email a day later.

The interview process seemed a bit backwards as I interviewed and was moved forward in the process by the DVP only to be stymied by the underling SDM.
    The other concerning this was that one of my hourly employees had also sought out a position with this company and interviewed with the same Senior District Manager. During her interview he advised her that I had also interviewed with his company and that HE was not going to be hiring me!!! Since I have a good relationship with my employee and I knew she was looking elsewhere, she told me right away. But this lack of discretion and boosting that HE was not going to hire me I found to be unprofessional and really disturbing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Extra Space in June 2012.

I applied online and was contacted by Corporate Recruiter. From there I had 4 additional interviews. Everything seemed to go well but didn't receive contact until I made 3 attempts to contact them to find out the decision. At that point a generic email came saying they will pursue an individual that more closely match their current needs. Many interview questions centered around hiring people and the use of behavior type questions.