Extra Space

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.9

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Extra Space.

I responded to an ad online and they didn't have a STUPID ASSESSMENT TEST, thank God! Was given a phone screened interview within a week. Once I passed that, I was scheduled to come in for an in-person one. I spoke with the Senior Manager; he basically gave me STAR interview. After I passed he scheduled me to meet with the District Manager for a final interview. In this interview, the DM wants you to sell a storage unit to the SM. Btw, the SM will come up with dozens of excuses why he's hesitant on renting it to throw you off. If you manage to sell the unit, the DM will send you an offer. If you accept, you have to take a drug test and the rest is history!

Interview Questions
    The good thing about applying for this job is they tell you what the going rate is on their website.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Extra Space.

I applied online. then i got a call for an interview. I had 2 interviews, one with the district learning specialist, then the second with the district manager. Received call for the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • all the questions was pretty much about how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Extra Space in June 2014.

In person interview with district manager, regular behavioral questions, not too hard, just have examples of past experiences. Make sure you present confident, and able to manage a facility.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Extra Space in June 2014.

I found the job posting on indeed.com. The hiring process was pretty straight forward and quick. At first I got an email detailing the skills and personality test I would need to take. About a week and a half after that, I got a call where they said they wanted to interview me. I interviewed with my eventual direct supervisor first - Typical questions such as: How does your experience relate to this job? What do you like to do outside of work? etc. Then, about a week later, I was called in for a second interview with my boss's boss. These were more broad questions related to the vision of the company, he allowed me to ask as many questions as I wanted and was very honest in his answers. Overall a great experience. The whole process took about 5 weeks from first application to first day.

Interview Questions
    I'm sure I would have been able to negotiate, but I took the first offer because I truly thought it was fair. The offer wasn't presented as a hard line mandate or anything like that, i'm sure they would have been open if I had been more highly qualified.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Extra Space.

Applied on line, received a phone call approximately 1 month later, had a phone interview, then invited for in person interview with district learning specialist. In person interview went well. 1 week later I received a phone call for a second interview. It has been about 5 weeks and I have not heard anything so far.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Extra Space.

NO pressures.

Interview Questions
    • What type of culture do you desire on the job.   View Answer
    Really no negotiation on pay as you will get the middle not top.

Corporate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Extra Space.

The interview process with this company is insane. I had a total of 9 interviews (yes 9), including the initial phone interview. Most of them were completed via Skype/WebEx. 2 were in person. Also had to complete online assessments. I met with around 15 people total. I have never experienced anything as drawn out as this in my life. It's a storage company that acts like they are hiring for the FBI or CIA.

Interview Questions
    • After every round of interviews, you think you are done but no - you quickly find out there is another.   View Answer

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Extra Space.

I was instantly attracted to this position and began to apply online. Before you enter in any education/work experience, there are several pre-screening questions. I filled all of these out and then was immediately told I didn't have the position. I was confused since I hadn't entered in any personal information yet and everything I selected on the pre-screen met their requirements. I sent an email to their corporate HR to see if it was a glitch or what the reasoning was...I really wanted that job! They told me I didn't meet the qualifications. Here's where I think the confusion was. The experience requires states "Bachelor's degree OR equivalent of 3-5 years work experience." Since I have a Bachelors degree and 2 years of experience, I interpreted that as one or the other. Either a Bachelor's degree, OR 3-5 years experience. If they're going to deny someone employment before they're able to type in their education and experience, then change the requirements on the job advertisement to say Bachelors degree AND 3-5 years experience.

Extra Space Response

Oct 28, 2013Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback & interest in working at Extra Space Storage.

We are interested in hearing about your District Manager experience. Feel free to contact me Russ Wynn, Recruiting
    ... More

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Extra Space.

Applied online, a recruiter called and asked a few questions, had an interview with District Learning Specialist and than finally an interview with District Manager.

No room for negotiation

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Extra Space in August 2013.

The interview process was lengthy and multifaceted as is the norm for this type of position. It started with an email response back to my online application. I then video conferenced with the recruiter based in Utah which focused on the general type of skills and management style questions after which I was scheduled for another interview with the local HR business partner. So two weeks later I once again interviewed via video conference, the interview went well and she advised me I would be scheduled to meet and interview with the Division Vice President. Two weeks later I interviewed with the DVP as well as the talent manager at the local region office. The interview for the first 40 minutes felt very much like an interrogation about how my current employer ran their operations (I work for a competitor) very few questions about my skills or management style until almost the end of the process. I also interviewed with the Talent Development manager. Before I left the DVP advised me that he was going to also have me meet with a Senior District Manager as this was part of their interview process. (This felt odd as usually you interview with all the underlings and finally with the DVP, this interview seemed backward as now I was set to interview with an underling). A week later I drove out to the bay area to interview with the SDM once again the interviews focus seemed to on my employer’s current operational practices and slightly on my skills. The interview seemed to go well until I received: A thanks for interviewing email a day later.

The interview process seemed a bit backwards as I interviewed and was moved forward in the process by the DVP only to be stymied by the underling SDM.
    The other concerning this was that one of my hourly employees had also sought out a position with this company and interviewed with the same Senior District Manager. During her interview he advised her that I had also interviewed with his company and that HE was not going to be hiring me!!! Since I have a good relationship with my employee and I knew she was looking elsewhere, she told me right away. But this lack of discretion and boosting that HE was not going to hire me I found to be unprofessional and really disturbing.