Extron Electronics Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2014
Updated Aug 13, 2014

2.6

QA Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Extron Electronics.

QA dept interview first. Questions were all about your resume. No tricky questions, no too much in-depth follow up questions.

If you get to second round with HR, that means QA wants you and HR would be your most challenging part. HR has the right to decline a candidate approved by hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • It seems that HR is looking for conservative and well-behaved employees.   Answer Question
    There is no room for new grad to negotiate with the salary

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Extron Electronics.

There were three interviews.
    Be sure to know know basics of audio and video (what is resolution, balanced vs unbalanced audio).
    For more detail: know audio/video types/connections and rank them according to quality (RF, RCA, VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc etc)

Don't be surprised if they ask you to come in more than 3 times, as availability is subject to the manager being there.

via email

Mechanical/Loudspeaker Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Extron Electronics in May 2014.

Submitted application via website. Received e-mail requesting Skype interview with hiring manager. This went well, so I moved on to a phone interview with HR manager in Raleigh. This one went well too, so I was invited down to Raleigh for on-site with Mech Engr. Mgr and team. Interviews went well. Technically wasn't very challenging as what they're doing acoustically isn't close to cutting edge, but everyone was nice and the atmosphere was kind of formal but reasonably relaxed. Facility has a lot of empty space, including an entire floor, because, they say, they are planning for long-term growth. Final interview was with HR manager, who asked typical HR questions, including the "quality or quantity" one. I thought everything went really well and everyone acted a little excited at the end of the interviews, but then about a week later I received a rather curt e-mail stating that they were going to continue looking. I asked for the reason(s) why (for my own edification, not to argue) but never received a response.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer quality or quantity? I'm guessing this is a bugbear of the owner's if everyone gets asked this.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Extron Electronics in November 2013.

Interview was for the Applications Engineer position, The Hiring Manager was very motivated and excited about the job responsibilities. He asked me about my projects and experience. It was a very interactive conversation and gained my Interest for the position.
    After clearing my first round i had a HR interview with HR Director, this was the worst interview i ever had, it felt like i was being cornered. The list of rules and regulations she had, i felt like i was going to a prison. I never felt like i was applying for an engineering post. It was during the HR interview i decided I wont work for this company and lost my interest in her questions.
    They really need to work on their HR interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview went very well, it was more about the job description and my work experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Extron Electronics in July 2013.

Finished my first interview last week for Apps Engineer position. The interview was with the App Engineer Manager and he mostly just talked more about the position and how there would be times where we would work overtime. He then asked me questions on my resume such as work experience, and customer related questions and how I would approach them. I honestly thought there would be technical questions/questions about my academic projects but there wasn't. Will have my 2nd interview tomorrow with HR.

Interview Questions
    • Custpmer related questions and how you would respond to those situations.   Answer Question

Software Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Extron Electronics in June 2009.

Phone interview and onsite interview

Salary

Sales Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Extron Electronics.

Very detailed will have many meetings with lots of different people.

Not much

Quality Test Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Extron Electronics.

First met with the lead, he didn't sound interested. Then met with his boss and this man made the interview a lot better. He knew his stuff and was very relax. Then have HR interview that lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • They throw you physical audio/video circuit boards and you have to describe as many components as you can in detail.   Answer Question

Video Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Extron Electronics in April 2013.

The initial phone interview was very cordial and pleasant with a few technical questions, they asked me to come in to interview for a video hardware design position.

I took off work early got in my nice suit, the Extron campus looked pretty big and somewhat intriguing from the outside. However the place seemed a bit cold inside, I filled out the application on site (don't know why it was simply not emailed out with the interview confirmation details 3 days prior) perhaps this was also some sort of "test" as well... who knows.

The strangest part was the interview itself that was conducted in a very small six foot square room. There was only one person from HR doing the entire interview - which is strange for a technical design position (not only was there no technical person there, a manager, senior engineer or whatever - but no technical questions were even asked). It was totally bizarre, seemed more like some sort of psychological experiment, than a real interview (with some hidden researcher watching on a hidden camera). I seriously would not have been surprised if the HR person wanted me to do a "Ink blot" test. I will probably send a thank you letter, but doubt, if I will hear from them - and even if I did – at this point I really don't know if I actually would still want the job... which seemed very interesting and a good fit for my design skills.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were mostly on company policy like they were doing some sort of survey or psych experiment.

1) Do you prefer quantity or quality? (my answer – quality)

2) What is your ideal work schedule? What days, time would you prefer to come in for your shift?

3) We have a strict non-smoking policy. Do you smoke?

4) Describe the traits a good manager would have (the position for which I was interviewing was for a non-managerial position)

5) HR: "what did you make previously", I politely answer "$xx / yr", HR: "How much would consider for this position?" I say 'Its a bit early to discus that, but I'm open to negotiate". HR: "We don't negotiate here, how much do you want?" - that was weird!

There were a few other rather odd questions, and after we were done, she offered to get the team manager to come down to meet and further discuss the real intricacies of the position (and actually have a real interview). The HR person stepped out for a few minutes, things were suddenly looking better. When she returned and said that the manager was busy and that could not meet with me, I was told if they had any further questions that they would be contacting me. I started packing things up, said thank you to the HR person and left.

I left with the impression that the company was either run by a military commander or a total control freak, perhaps that the company was merely a front for some other purpose (a secret lab of some sort), or worse yet the company was under total subjugation by aliens from another planet (who were collecting suitable candidates for feeding purposes).

I literally just came from the interview an hour ago (today) and it was so weird i just had to look what others had to say about interviewing at Extron, and found this site and thought id share my experience, and apparently I'm not the only one who thought it was totally like something out of the "x-files" TV series.
        Answer Question

QA Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Extron Electronics in February 2013.

I read up on the reviews beforehand so I had a mental preparation that it was going to be bad, and I was right.

I spoke with the chief engineer over the phone who had severe communication deficiencies. I described to him my skill sets and experiences in extreme details, and he managed to summarize them back to me completely wrong (leaving me to wonder if he was even listening). I asked him simple questions about project cycles and tools used, and he rambled for a good 5 minutes on each of those straightforward questions and managed to not give me the answer at all.

The HR rep called me up a week later and asked if I can go down to Anaheim for the interview, and was not willing to pay for traveling expenses. I declined to continue the interview, and they decided to just do phone interview with the next step.

Two weeks later, I proceeded to speak with the HR director, and she was not in the least bit interested in my skills, but how compliant I can be to the list of rules they have at the office; they had some pretty unnerving rules about work hours, outlooks, behavior and order. To be completely honest, it sounded more like a prison to me than an office. I declined to move further at that point.

It was an interesting experiences to talk to such an extremely conservative company like this.

Interview Questions
    • Asked if I can abide by a plethora of strict rules they had about appearance and behavior, which I believe were too over the top   Answer Question

Worked for Extron Electronics? Contribute to the Community!