Exxon Mobil

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in February 2014.

Interview Details – 3 interviews, one on university campus, one phone interview and then one on-site interview at Houston. The entire process took 4 months from first round interview to the third round on-site interview. Received an offer 2 days after my final round interview.

Interview Question – No question were particularly difficult, they were all behavior type questions. Most of which were geared towards how to work in a team environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, didn't need to, offer and benefits were better than other companies.

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in September 2013.

Interview Details – First round interview for a full time position was on campus. Simple 30 minute interview with behavioral questions. About 3 months later received a phone interview and have not had it yet.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult thing you have ever done and why?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through my College's campus recruiting. Interviewed a week later on campus. The atmosphere was formal, but rather relaxed. I enjoyed it frankly.

Interview Question – Questions were all behavioral, nothing out of the ordinary.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details – Talked to campus recruiter and got an on campus interview a couple weeks later. This interview was more situational... Tell me about a time when... Then got invited to a site interview a couple days after the first interview. This interview was a round robin setup and more technical. Interviewed with a supervisor, a few different departments, HR, and a manager.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a unique and innovative solution you have come up with that was successful.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in September 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted on campus. It was a thirty minute interview, very informal. The interview spent around ten minutes talking about her experiences with the company and being recruited by ExxonMobil. She also spent about ten minutes talking about the process from beginning with drilling and ending with production, which left ten minutes for her questions about me, and any question that I had.

Interview Question – None. There were no behavioral questions, the interviewer went through my resume and asked me about my experiences.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Exxon Mobil.

Interview Details – Went to our campus career fair and dropped off my resume. Got a call back scheduling an on campus interview. The interview was a pretty standard behavioral interview with an engineer from the company. Basically he read off the sheet about my experiences with teams/making tough decisions/etc. Pretty standard, but at the same time, that made it all the more difficult.

Got a call from them to schedule a second round about a month later. They flew me out to Louisiana for a couple days, the whole "wine and dine" experience. They do it really well! Had a host bring me around for the two days, really nice hotel suite, the works! Furthermore, the interview itself consisted of 5 back-to-back interviews, all with different employees along the food chain. Most questions were personal or about your resume. (With the second round, it's definitely more about getting a feel for who you are and if you'd be a good fit for the company). All in all, I received an offer via phone two weeks later and the offer letter the next day.

For that reason, your first interview is EASILY the most important... Exxon does a huge filtering at this stage and majority of the people who do the second round actually get offers.

Interview Question – What do you think separates ExxonMobil from the other oil companies?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great offer, no negotiation

Mechanical Engineer

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in October 2011.

Interview Details – Sat in a room with a recruiter and was asked a series of behavioral questions for about an hour. She asked me about a leadership experience and the details of the projects that I have worked on

Interview Question – Describe you leadership skill.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Exxon Mobil in October 2010.

Interview Details – It was a very basic interview with regular questions. The information session beforehand was very helpful as it gave an idea of what the company had to offer and what it was looking for. my most difficult question was describe a situation in which you missed a deadline or you made a terrible mistake. Other than that it was fine. Hope it helps

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you missed a deadline?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Exxon Mobil

Worked for Exxon Mobil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exxon Mobil Mechanical Engineer interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Exxon Mobil employees and interview candidates.