ExxonMobil Interview Questions in Baytown, TX

Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.5

Instrument Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Took the Operations and Mechanical test. Passed. Got called in for first round of interviews. You do a scenario and background interview. During the scenario one they ask a lot of what ifs. This should be common sense if you've worked in an industrial environment. They just sit there and read questions out of a book. The background interview is where they go over education and work history. It's a little more personal, but still scripted. You get called back for a final interview. This one is with the 1st and 2nd line supervisors. This is the make or break. Basically you just sit in an office and talk with them. They are still reading from a packet, but they do ask questions off the cuff. If you get the job, you get a call back. If you don't, they mail you a letter. After you get the call back, you go in for your physical. Pretty standard stuff there.

Interview Questions

• You see two guys replacing a car window in the parking lot after work. They are breaking it with a hammer. What do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The starting salary is set.

Pricing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX).

Interview

the process is stringent and laborious. I don't think there have to be 4 separate interviews to identify if a candidate is worthy of a job offer. Clearly the need for minorities is represented in the hiring practices.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX).

Interview

The process is quite intense. You are sent a testing link prior to interviewing. If you do not pass the initial test, you do not go any further in the process. The first interview is with Human Resources and a representative with the department for which you applied. If granted a second interview you will interview with your potential direct supervisor.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was about accountability. If you make a mistake are you accountable enough to recognize the mistake and correct the mistake.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was pleased with the initial offer. No negotiations needed.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

They were great to work with throughout the whole process. Initially talked at my schools career fair, then had a 1:1 interview the next day. Was given a phone interview from the specific location I was interested in a couple of days later. Flown down for the final site interview the following week and given the offer on the spot during the 3rd and final interview of that day. Note - process was expedited as I had other offers that I was considering.

Interview Questions

• I had previously worked on a very small project in an SRU unit, but had limited exposure to the actual SRU process. I was asked to draw the entire unit on a marker board and explain how it worked.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was blown away by how high the offer was and didn't feel I needed to negotiate.

Cost Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

On Campus Interview
    Phone Interview
    On Site Interview (4 interview)

On campus interviews are relatively easy to get if you have solid resume. (high GPA, work experience etc.) It seems that all the interviews are processed into a large pool, which are accessible by managers of the site. Once the manager sees profile and like it, they will call you. All the interviews are very straight forward.

Interview Questions

• On campus interview (expected behavioral questions)
      Phone interview and on-site (conversational laid back)

Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

First applied through campus career fair. They would like to hire students with high GPA and at the same time with social activities and leadership skills. On the career fair day, there was a small conversation between me and one of the hiring group. He invited me to a 1:1 interview next day. The interview was behavioral type. The interviewer makes you feel very comfortable. 3-4 days later I got an email saying that my CV was recommended to the main system. 2 weeks later, I got the phone interview and invited to an on-site interview. The whole interview process was very well organized and pleasant!!! On site interview consisted of many 1:1 interviews and an hour long presentation (for a PhD candidate).

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that you run out of resources? What did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Senior Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

2 interviews with 2 interviewers per meeting one immediately after the other. They usually interview people to become full time employees who have been working as contractors for 6-12 months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a problem you faced in the past and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

NONE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

1 Interview in 2010 for Baytown, TX site. Questions had a lot to do with Tell me about a time when......I recommend making a list of your own questions and practice answering fast, because you will me sweating bullets so know what comes out of your mouth before it does.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did something unsafe.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in November 2009.

Interview

You get called in to schedule interview. I interviewed on campus for about 45 mins to 1 hour. The entire thing was behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you faced this challenge and what did you do etc...". Talked about current projects and struggles in college. They take lots of notes about how you respond. They want to see how you explain technical things in a way as to not lose the attention of the listener. Presentation is key. If you make it past the initial interview, someone (usually your future boss) will call you for an on site interview. Someone from your future group takes you to breakfast and takes you from interview to interview. You meet with about 5 or 6 people who talk to you informally really just to see what your personality is like. The usual "what do you like to do" and "tell me about yourself". The 2nd interview step is easier than the on-campus 1st step. If you are a new-hire, they might give you an offer at the end of the day (on-site). If you are an experienced hire, they might wait to inform you later on. Usually everybody gets together at the end of the day to discuss their opinions of the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation and you were in the position of leadership and needed to show leadership skills while solving the problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a current or past technical project you worked on where you faced a problem and tell me what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with someone in the work place and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for me.

Process Contact Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

The hiring process for me started at my university. There we were given an hour long interview that had behavioral based questions (Tell me about a time when you...). From there I was referred to a specific site that I had to do a phone interview to gauge my interest. I attended an all day event on site where I was given three interviews with management and technical leaders. Very similar types of behavior questions were asked as well as letting me know what types of opportunities were available.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to solve a problem creatively.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was negotiation. They gave you an offer.