ExxonMobil Chemical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2015

3.5

Chemical Engineer Interview

Interview

All communications were via telephone and text message- no emails which was very strange. First Round interview was quite typical- basic qualifications and leadership. Second round contained 6 interviews, 3 technical and 3 leadership.

Interview Questions

• Questions about specific components of a refining facility and how would they have to be changed depending on different weather events.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Went to a career fair my university hosted and gave them my resume. I applied on the career center website and the ExxonMobil website. I got an interview 2 weeks later. The interview was pleasant but I had an ominous feeling about it as soon as I walked in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were promised a resource and did not get it. How did you continue the project without the resource?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Job was listed on University's career website where I applied during my senior year.
    There was an on campus interview followed by a brief telephone informal interview. I was invited to worksite interview during the phone call.
    Onsite interview was done by 5 Engineers with different levels of experience.
    It took a whole day to get through all the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral questions related to how one fits in a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiations

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2013.

Interview

I went to career fair in the University. Got an invitation through emial for interview. They had a company info session the night before the interview. The interview only last about ten to fifteen minutes. Only four questions, all behavioral. Name a time when you come up with an unique solution.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2013.

Interview

Dropped my resume off at our campus career fair. Received a call and scheduled an on campus interview with one of their recruiters. Basic behavioral interview that lasted approximately one hour. The majority of the interview was spend discussing my prior internships, extra curricular activities, and research. Received a call about a week later and scheduled an on site interview for the following week. The on site interview included five interviews: two behavioral with supervisors, one technical with a technical expert, one with HR, and one with an executive. The whole day ran from about 7-2 including lunch with new hires and breakfast with a host. Received an offer two days later. The whole process took about 3 weeks from initial interview to offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Explain periods of unemployment or lack of involvement in organizations. What were you doing during that time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate because compensation was far superior to competition.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through college's career services website and was given an interview before the annual career fair.

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions, 'tell about a time you...' and lasted over an hour. The representative I met with was very professional and a little stuffy, but some of the others seemed to be joking around with their interviewees. Exxon went through many interviews. In the hour-long timeslot there were around 5 interviews being held simultaneously in different rooms, and spread that across 5 days of interviewing.

Most of the questions they asked had to deal with my previous work on projects, so I would recommend having something to talk about on that end. As I applied just entering my sophomore year, I really only had a simple freshman design project to talk about, so I think somebody who has had previous internship/project experience would do well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when didn't have the capital necessary to complete a project. How did you react and what did you do to work around it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

They were great to work with throughout the whole process. Initially talked at my schools career fair, then had a 1:1 interview the next day. Was given a phone interview from the specific location I was interested in a couple of days later. Flown down for the final site interview the following week and given the offer on the spot during the 3rd and final interview of that day. Note - process was expedited as I had other offers that I was considering.

Interview Questions

• I had previously worked on a very small project in an SRU unit, but had limited exposure to the actual SRU process. I was asked to draw the entire unit on a marker board and explain how it worked.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was blown away by how high the offer was and didn't feel I needed to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

it was very easy, the basic tell me about yourself questions and scenerios questions

Chemical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Typical online application followed by individual interview, questions were all behavioual based and split into sections to test different competancies: problem solving, personality, back ground, beliefs and values. All were expected to be answered in STAR format - situation, task, action and result.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you ad to presuade someone and how you went about it?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)).

Interview

First there was an online application with a couple of competency questions. Get through that there's a numerical reasoning online test which is by kinexa. No tricks here just need to practice with more than just SHL. It's more difficult than that.
    Next stage is the competency based 1:1 interview at their head quarters in Fawley.
    I made it to the final stage months after my application so i assume I wasn't one of the first batch of interview offers.

Interview could've been better but I had exams so didn't give 100%. Not a fan of the Fawley base either.

Interview Questions

• No technical questions. They were all competency
      The toughest one was about giving an example of a time when you failed at something. It's tough to pick something that still makes you look good

Answer Question