ExxonMobil

Updated Feb 18, 2014

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Chemical Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview Details – Job was listed on University's career website where I applied during my senior year.
There was an on campus interview followed by a brief telephone informal interview. I was invited to worksite interview during the phone call.
Onsite interview was done by 5 Engineers with different levels of experience.
It took a whole day to get through all the interviews.

Interview Question – Mostly behavioral questions related to how one fits in a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiations

Very Difficult Interview

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Interview Details – Dropped my resume off at our campus career fair. Received a call and scheduled an on campus interview with one of their recruiters. Basic behavioral interview that lasted approximately one hour. The majority of the interview was spend discussing my prior internships, extra curricular activities, and research. Received a call about a week later and scheduled an on site interview for the following week. The on site interview included five interviews: two behavioral with supervisors, one technical with a technical expert, one with HR, and one with an executive. The whole day ran from about 7-2 including lunch with new hires and breakfast with a host. Received an offer two days later. The whole process took about 3 weeks from initial interview to offer letter.

Interview Question – Explain periods of unemployment or lack of involvement in organizations. What were you doing during that time?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate because compensation was far superior to competition.

Chemical Engineer
Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview Details – First there was an online application with a couple of competency questions. Get through that there's a numerical reasoning online test which is by kinexa. No tricks here just need to practice with more than just SHL. It's more difficult than that.
Next stage is the competency based 1:1 interview at their head quarters in Fawley.
I made it to the final stage months after my application so i assume I wasn't one of the first batch of interview offers.

Interview could've been better but I had exams so didn't give 100%. Not a fan of the Fawley base either.

Interview Question – No technical questions. They were all competency
The toughest one was about giving an example of a time when you failed at something. It's tough to pick something that still makes you look good
  Answer Question

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

Interview Details – I went to career fair in the University. Got an invitation through emial for interview. They had a company info session the night before the interview. The interview only last about ten to fifteen minutes. Only four questions, all behavioral. Name a time when you come up with an unique solution.

Interview Question – What's your favorite class?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview Details – Applied online through college's career services website and was given an interview before the annual career fair.

The interview consisted mainly of behavioral questions, 'tell about a time you...' and lasted over an hour. The representative I met with was very professional and a little stuffy, but some of the others seemed to be joking around with their interviewees. Exxon went through many interviews. In the hour-long timeslot there were around 5 interviews being held simultaneously in different rooms, and spread that across 5 days of interviewing.

Most of the questions they asked had to deal with my previous work on projects, so I would recommend having something to talk about on that end. As I applied just entering my sophomore year, I really only had a simple freshman design project to talk about, so I think somebody who has had previous internship/project experience would do well.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when didn't have the capital necessary to complete a project. How did you react and what did you do to work around it?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2010.

Interview Details – it was very easy, the basic tell me about yourself questions and scenerios questions

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   View Answer

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!