ExxonMobil Chemical

3.2

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Process Contact Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in September 2009.

The hiring process for me started at my university. There we were given an hour long interview that had behavioral based questions (Tell me about a time when you...). From there I was referred to a specific site that I had to do a phone interview to gauge my interest. I attended an all day event on site where I was given three interviews with management and technical leaders. Very similar types of behavior questions were asked as well as letting me know what types of opportunities were available.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to solve a problem creatively.   Answer Question
    There was negotiation. They gave you an offer.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in October 2012.

They were great to work with throughout the whole process. Initially talked at my schools career fair, then had a 1:1 interview the next day. Was given a phone interview from the specific location I was interested in a couple of days later. Flown down for the final site interview the following week and given the offer on the spot during the 3rd and final interview of that day. Note - process was expedited as I had other offers that I was considering.

Interview Questions
    • I had previously worked on a very small project in an SRU unit, but had limited exposure to the actual SRU process. I was asked to draw the entire unit on a marker board and explain how it worked.   View Answer
    I was blown away by how high the offer was and didn't feel I needed to negotiate.

Cost Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in September 2012.

On Campus Interview
    Phone Interview
    On Site Interview (4 interview)

On campus interviews are relatively easy to get if you have solid resume. (high GPA, work experience etc.) It seems that all the interviews are processed into a large pool, which are accessible by managers of the site. Once the manager sees profile and like it, they will call you. All the interviews are very straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • On campus interview (expected behavioral questions)
      Phone interview and on-site (conversational laid back)
        Answer Question
    Did not negotiate

Cost Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in April 2011.

They gave me four interviews, and one technical interview. Most of them were just schmoozy, "get to know you" type questions. Also, there were some behavioral questions ("tell me about a time when...."). The technical interview was given by a junior employee and didn't seem to be very important. The "fit" questions were quite pointed, however.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in November 2009.

You get called in to schedule interview. I interviewed on campus for about 45 mins to 1 hour. The entire thing was behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you faced this challenge and what did you do etc...". Talked about current projects and struggles in college. They take lots of notes about how you respond. They want to see how you explain technical things in a way as to not lose the attention of the listener. Presentation is key. If you make it past the initial interview, someone (usually your future boss) will call you for an on site interview. Someone from your future group takes you to breakfast and takes you from interview to interview. You meet with about 5 or 6 people who talk to you informally really just to see what your personality is like. The usual "what do you like to do" and "tell me about yourself". The 2nd interview step is easier than the on-campus 1st step. If you are a new-hire, they might give you an offer at the end of the day (on-site). If you are an experienced hire, they might wait to inform you later on. Usually everybody gets together at the end of the day to discuss their opinions of the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation and you were in the position of leadership and needed to show leadership skills while solving the problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a current or past technical project you worked on where you faced a problem and tell me what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with someone in the work place and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in June 2009.

Interview was pretty standard. The system is methodical and very specific processes in place. The standard questions around work experience and people skills apply. Be ready to explain any gaps in work experience etc. that you may have had. Also you can mention any personal reasons as to why you are wanting to move to the location etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in October 2010.

The first interview was a 1:1 interview on campus at our career center. The interview consisted of five behavioral questions. I was their first interview of the day, so it was fairly laid back and relaxed. All questions were answered using the S.T.A.R. format - Situation, Task, Action and Result. That was their preference. He was the manager of the chemical area (the big boss) and he was really nice. I heard from other students that were interviewed by another one, and they told me that it is hard, because the interviewer interrupt you every time, fortunately that wasn't my case.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you volunteered for a project or job, going beyond the call of duty.   Answer Question
    • A time when you have dealt with a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil Chemical in September 2008.

Their interview was pretty typical consisting of behavior based questions that help to determine where you would like to get sent and which parts of the company would be best. The people that interviewed me were very friendly and seemed to enjoy what they do. They asked questions about teamwork and how you handle situations and problems.

None

Worked for ExxonMobil Chemical? Contribute to the Community!