ExxonMobil Interview Questions in Clinton, NJ

3.5

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2014.

Initial communication was through phone interview. Phone interview was quite technical and a team interview. Questions ranged from describing past and current work and examples of technical execution and team work.

I had my on-site visit within a month and was asked to give a 1 hour technical seminar. The hiring manager invited me for dinner the night before and described the company culture and what they were looking for. The technical seminar was followed by 8, 45 minute interviews. I had an opportunity to meet both early-career and experienced researchers and some managers. Everyone was technically sound and the facility had state-of-the-art lab/pilot equipment. Questions ranged from fundamentals discussion to program management, future technology growth areas and my career interests.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were straight forward. One unexpected question was why I didn't pursue a career in academia and why industrial research?   Answer Question
    Since I was applying for an experienced position, I did negotiate. The discussion with the manager was very straight-forward and I was kept at ease. The manager did check about my request but told that the salary was firm. ExxonMobil hires for life and there will be further growth opportunities once one joins.

I would suggest looking at the complete benefits package including base salary, health insurance, 401(K) company match, pension, bonus, stock options and other intangibles like growth opportunities and work environment. Do your research and understand and appreciate what you bring to the table. Have a minimum and maximum salary range in mind.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clinton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2013.

Interviews included a 60 min 1:1 campus interview, a 60 min phone interview, and a full day on-site interview. The on-site interview started with an HR interview followed by my 60 minute seminar. I then had 6 45 min 1:1 interviews and a site tour. The campus interviewer seemed distracted and rushed, but my other experiences were positive. Questions were both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to explain part of my work that was not the main focus, to determine how fully I understand the overall process.   Answer Question
    I did no negotiating based on comments I saw here and by comparing my offer to a friend's offer who already works there.