ExxonMobil

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Engineering Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2009.

Selected for interview on Campus Career Fair. on campus Interview for 55 minutes. poeple were smart, friendly, attentive, businesslike. Experienced in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me a time when you lacked a resource to complete a task. What did you do? The result?   Answer Question
No negotiations. None.

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2009.

my skills were not enough to empress the. They need a minimum GPA of 3.7 no exception which doesnt make sense because I had a relative experience that would have benefited them!

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2009.

Need to be very prepared for the interview. Lots of behavioral based questions!! Study and have as many answers to these types of questions as possible. Plan to interview with at least 5 different people all asking different questions. A lunch or dinner will most likely be involved, be natural, but don't slip with your guard, stay professional. It will be a full day. Don't just elaborate on technical items, need to show some decent personality traits and the abilty to contritube to a team environment. Have examples for all these types of situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went out of your job duties to achieve a task outside of your job set.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to break company policy to get things done.   Answer Question
    I did not need to negotiate I thought the offer was very fair...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2008.

I was hired from an on-campus job fair. The interview included a lot of hypothetical "what would you do" type questions. I was given a brief overview of the company and asked whether or not I would rather work in Upstream or Downstream. Even though I said I would rather work in Upstream they were clearly only recruiting for Downstream. If you are looking for a specific position you should VERY EXPLICITLY state it.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you were the on a team and your group members were not contributing. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with problems that seem like there are no solutions at first?   Answer Question
    I did not choose to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2010.

EM had an info session, first interview was at my uni, one-on-one consisting of mostly behavioural questions. 2nd interview was with HR Recruiter, mostly discussion of resume. The third and fourth interviews were with specific people in the department. The third interview was very informal, general. The fourth interview was the toughest with harder behavioural questions. Once done, the recruiter called to inform me of my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you failed to succeed at something, and how you coped with it.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in June 2009.

Behavioral based interview - describe a time when you had to deal with X. How did you evaluate the issues about X and what was the outcome.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult time working on a team. How did you deal with it, and how did it resolve out?   Answer Question
    Set a high standard for yourself. It's not about what you're getting paid now -- it's what is the value to them for what you can deliver.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2009.

You get called in to schedule interview. I interviewed on campus for about 45 mins to 1 hour. The entire thing was behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you faced this challenge and what did you do etc...". Talked about current projects and struggles in college. They take lots of notes about how you respond. They want to see how you explain technical things in a way as to not lose the attention of the listener. Presentation is key. If you make it past the initial interview, someone (usually your future boss) will call you for an on site interview. Someone from your future group takes you to breakfast and takes you from interview to interview. You meet with about 5 or 6 people who talk to you informally really just to see what your personality is like. The usual "what do you like to do" and "tell me about yourself". The 2nd interview step is easier than the on-campus 1st step. If you are a new-hire, they might give you an offer at the end of the day (on-site). If you are an experienced hire, they might wait to inform you later on. Usually everybody gets together at the end of the day to discuss their opinions of the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation and you were in the position of leadership and needed to show leadership skills while solving the problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a current or past technical project you worked on where you faced a problem and tell me what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with someone in the work place and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for me.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2011.

The interviewer went through my resume and asked behavior questions. The questions are common questions, like describe a difficult situation when you had problems in a team. The interviewer also give you hints when you have difficulty or not answer the way you are expected. Also asked to describe your research but was not asked in details.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Questions
    • During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question
    As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied with campus recruiting and had an on-campus interview. The interview was lengthy, about an hour long, and consisted mostly of behavioral questions and elaborating on things listed in my resume. I heard back from them in about two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • No question was excessively difficult, it is useful to know the S.T.A.R. method for approaching the behavioral questions.   Answer Question