ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 10, 2015
Updated Jan 10, 2015

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

I came on to Exxon straight out of college. The interview process for college grads comes in three steps. The first is the initial screening of the resume. You can have to apply online, but going to the career fairs and knowing someone in the company that's hiring at the time helps so much.The initial interview is purely to see if you would be a good fit in Exxon or not. If you pass this round you get placed in an Exxon hiring database and individual Exxon departments (they call them "companies") can select you for their interview process, which usually consists of flying you out to one of their locations for an in-person interview (I had three interviewers, all behavioral questions). Overall, the process was extremely satisfying. Exxon has a lot of money to throw around, and they really treat you well during the whole interview process.

Interview Questions
  • Again, none of the questions I was given were technical; they were all behavioral. The most unexpected question that I had was "How do you persuade someone to do what you want or agree with your idea". I found the question difficult mostly because it is really easy to come off as manipulative and not a team player when answering this.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolla, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Very friendly interviewer. She told me a lot about what she does at Exxon, and even her involvement in the community. After introducing herself, she asked a variety of questions. Most seemed to be related to teamwork and conflicts. It seemed very easy to talk to her because it was very personal and relaxed.

Engineering Interview

I applied through my schools career website before the career fair. I was given the opportunity to sign up for an interview and did so. At the end of the interview, which was all standard behavioral, the interviewer said in 3 or 4 weeks I might hear from a Site Coordinator about a further phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you can do convince someone or a team to go with your idea.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Questions
    • During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question
    As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Engineer Interview

Campus interview, phone-interview, and 1 day site interview with multiple current employees.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't overly difficult. It was more geared to ensuring the personality and interests matched the company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2013.

Set up through my campus. Met the recruiter at the career fair and info session that night. Whole process took about a week to set up the interview. It was 45 minutes long with mostly behavioral type questions. Fairly standard interview. I made the mistake of portraying myself as a team-player rather than leader. It was with one recruiter and there weren't any surprise questions.

It was a rather pleasant experience as far as interviews go.

Interview Questions
    • Is there any skill that you possess that we have not talked about yet?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I was applying for an internship. I had an on campus interview where the guy seemed very disinterested in what I had to say and asked me the same question twice. Obviously he did not care about the interview and I got a job based off my resume.

Interview Questions
    • They had standard questions - Tell us about a time when you worked in a group. Tell me about a time when something didnt go right   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Did not have hard interviews, until it was the last interview. Already had experience in the position they were looking for. They want leaders and people who will help the company grow in the direction of leadership (i.e. against all competitors).
    Had a friendly recruiter and they took us out to dinner before the main on-campus interview.
    No presentations either.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you did not get your way and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

5 rounds of one-on-one interviews: 3 overviews of the company (1 general about the business line, 1 general about the group within the business line, 1 specific about position); 2 interviews (one based on candidate overall fit, one based on work ethic, flexibility, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Discuss an experience you've had where you overcame an obstacle, how you did it and how that will help you contribute to ExxonMobil.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2012.

Applied through the career center at my school. Got an interview on campus the day before the career fair. They interviewed a TON of people it seemed and my interviewer was extremely laid back. He asked a few questions and the entire interview only took about 20 minutes. About two weeks later I received a call for a phone screening with no prior notification other than an email that I had been referred to hiring managers. The questions were mainly to make sure my interests lined up with the position they were trying to fill. I was told I would hear back from them within a week if they wanted to continue the process. I got a call the next day and scheduled a flight for early the next week. I was driven around and saw various areas of Houston and had dinner with newer employees the night before the interview. The day of the interview I had 4 interviews with people in my potential group and 1 cross-functional interview. I had a benefits presentation with HR then met with my manager and was given an offer on the spot. The interviews were laid back and not very many "STAR" questions but just trying to get to know me and make sure my interests lined up with the job.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Very strong starting salary and benefits.