ExxonMobil Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

5 rounds of one-on-one interviews: 3 overviews of the company (1 general about the business line, 1 general about the group within the business line, 1 specific about position); 2 interviews (one based on candidate overall fit, one based on work ethic, flexibility, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Discuss an experience you've had where you overcame an obstacle, how you did it and how that will help you contribute to ExxonMobil.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through the career center at my school. Got an interview on campus the day before the career fair. They interviewed a TON of people it seemed and my interviewer was extremely laid back. He asked a few questions and the entire interview only took about 20 minutes. About two weeks later I received a call for a phone screening with no prior notification other than an email that I had been referred to hiring managers. The questions were mainly to make sure my interests lined up with the position they were trying to fill. I was told I would hear back from them within a week if they wanted to continue the process. I got a call the next day and scheduled a flight for early the next week. I was driven around and saw various areas of Houston and had dinner with newer employees the night before the interview. The day of the interview I had 4 interviews with people in my potential group and 1 cross-functional interview. I had a benefits presentation with HR then met with my manager and was given an offer on the spot. The interviews were laid back and not very many "STAR" questions but just trying to get to know me and make sure my interests lined up with the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Very strong starting salary and benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Tempe, AZ) in November 2011.

Interview

One interview that lasted roughly 1 hour. The questions were very subjective which consisted primarily of behavioral and situational questions (i.e., describe a time when you had to deal with a stressful situation, ... a time when you didn't know the answer, ... deal with ambiguity). Overall, it was an easy interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to design a system to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in October 2011.

Interview

It seemed to me that they were looking for a candidate who could handle change. I had at least four questions about handleing change, all of them just worded differently. They had also the traditional behavioral questions. Anyways I didn't get past the first interview but I wasnt so stoked about being paid a lot of money to be in a career that didn't interest me much.

Interview Questions

• Tell me About a time where u had to handle change.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Provo, UT) in October 2011.

Interview

Interviewer was very profesional and kind. He passed me on to the next step of the interview process but said that it was fairly late in the hiring season for new graduates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2010.

Interview

EM had an info session, first interview was at my uni, one-on-one consisting of mostly behavioural questions. 2nd interview was with HR Recruiter, mostly discussion of resume. The third and fourth interviews were with specific people in the department. The third interview was very informal, general. The fourth interview was the toughest with harder behavioural questions. Once done, the recruiter called to inform me of my offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed to succeed at something, and how you coped with it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in October 2010.

Interview

The first interview was a 1:1 interview on campus at our career center. The interview consisted of five behavioral questions. I was their first interview of the day, so it was fairly laid back and relaxed. All questions were answered using the S.T.A.R. format - Situation, Task, Action and Result. That was their preference. He was the manager of the chemical area (the big boss) and he was really nice. I heard from other students that were interviewed by another one, and they told me that it is hard, because the interviewer interrupt you every time, fortunately that wasn't my case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you volunteered for a project or job, going beyond the call of duty.   Answer Question
    • A time when you have dealt with a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Fairfax, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

It was tough because they asked some question that I was not expecting. It caught me off guard and I did not nearly as well as I hoped. However, I do wish I had prepare more in advance. I would definitely know good responses to team-oriented question that seemed to be a major focus.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you came up with a solution to a complicated problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in January 2010.

Interview

Got the on-site job interview through campus recruiting. First round interview was in the campus, and it wall behavorial. At the on-site interview, similar questions were asked. I repeated the same answers. Showed little bit of histancy in traveling - that killed me.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had resolve a conflict that you were part of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in November 2009.

Interview

You get called in to schedule interview. I interviewed on campus for about 45 mins to 1 hour. The entire thing was behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you faced this challenge and what did you do etc...". Talked about current projects and struggles in college. They take lots of notes about how you respond. They want to see how you explain technical things in a way as to not lose the attention of the listener. Presentation is key. If you make it past the initial interview, someone (usually your future boss) will call you for an on site interview. Someone from your future group takes you to breakfast and takes you from interview to interview. You meet with about 5 or 6 people who talk to you informally really just to see what your personality is like. The usual "what do you like to do" and "tell me about yourself". The 2nd interview step is easier than the on-campus 1st step. If you are a new-hire, they might give you an offer at the end of the day (on-site). If you are an experienced hire, they might wait to inform you later on. Usually everybody gets together at the end of the day to discuss their opinions of the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation and you were in the position of leadership and needed to show leadership skills while solving the problem.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a current or past technical project you worked on where you faced a problem and tell me what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with someone in the work place and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for me.