ExxonMobil Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 9, 2014
Updated Oct 9, 2014

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2009.

You get called in to schedule interview. I interviewed on campus for about 45 mins to 1 hour. The entire thing was behavioral. "Tell me about a time when you faced this challenge and what did you do etc...". Talked about current projects and struggles in college. They take lots of notes about how you respond. They want to see how you explain technical things in a way as to not lose the attention of the listener. Presentation is key. If you make it past the initial interview, someone (usually your future boss) will call you for an on site interview. Someone from your future group takes you to breakfast and takes you from interview to interview. You meet with about 5 or 6 people who talk to you informally really just to see what your personality is like. The usual "what do you like to do" and "tell me about yourself". The 2nd interview step is easier than the on-campus 1st step. If you are a new-hire, they might give you an offer at the end of the day (on-site). If you are an experienced hire, they might wait to inform you later on. Usually everybody gets together at the end of the day to discuss their opinions of the candidate.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation and you were in the position of leadership and needed to show leadership skills while solving the problem.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a current or past technical project you worked on where you faced a problem and tell me what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with someone in the work place and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
No negotiation for me.

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2009.

I applied from through my University career center during the career fair, and got selected for an interview. The interview lasted for about 70 minutes and the recruiter was very friendly. There were lots of behavioral questions. No technical questions. Just questions like tell me about yourself, why do you want to work for exxon mobil and what do you think you can offer? then questions from what you put on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had problems with a team mate and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What are your weaknesses and how to you use them in positive light towards your job   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in June 2009.

Interview was pretty standard. The system is methodical and very specific processes in place. The standard questions around work experience and people skills apply. Be ready to explain any gaps in work experience etc. that you may have had. Also you can mention any personal reasons as to why you are wanting to move to the location etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2009.

Exxon got my resume through a job fair, the first round of interview was on campus the next day. It was a mix of both technical skills and personality fit. I next got a call after about 2 months with an invitation for an onsite interview. The interview day was presentation followed by 1:1 interviews. Work culture seemed relaxed, everyone I met had a separate room for an office! The technical interview was a breeze but the work did not seem exciting, this probably came across.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2008.

very nice interviewers. very polite. Did not ask any difficult questions. Very calm. Easy to talk to. Great handshake. Welcoming. Interview is one on one style. No tricks. No gimmicks. The candidates must be ready to talk about anything. Try to be very relaxed and very personable.

not really

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2008.

I was hired from an on-campus job fair. The interview included a lot of hypothetical "what would you do" type questions. I was given a brief overview of the company and asked whether or not I would rather work in Upstream or Downstream. Even though I said I would rather work in Upstream they were clearly only recruiting for Downstream. If you are looking for a specific position you should VERY EXPLICITLY state it.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you were the on a team and your group members were not contributing. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with problems that seem like there are no solutions at first?   Answer Question
    I did not choose to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2008.

Their interview was pretty typical consisting of behavior based questions that help to determine where you would like to get sent and which parts of the company would be best. The people that interviewed me were very friendly and seemed to enjoy what they do. They asked questions about teamwork and how you handle situations and problems.

None

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2008.

I got the interview through university career fair. First round was at my university 1:1 with a recruiter. Questions asked was all behavioral and very fair and straight forward. They will gauge your interest and recommend you for a specific group for a final round. Final round is on site. They will fly you in the night before and bring a "buddy" that will host you while you are on site. Hotel they put you in is top notch, and so is the dinner the night before. Day of interview involves multiple 1:1 interviews with managers in the group. Again, all questions are behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time where you had to convince a group of your idea and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I got a first round interview for an entry level engineer position. It wasnt that bad except I was like asked 3 or 4 times in different ways questions about how I deal with change. I had an answer for maybe the first two but I couldnt use the same examples for the rest. Come in with multple examples.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2011.

Went over resume briefly. Mostly talked about what I would do in group situations, when I've led or done group projects, or what I would do to solve a problem. Very qualitative and low-key. Interviewer was very nice and let me ask questions at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you were faced with a difficult problem and how you solved it.   Answer Question