ExxonMobil

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Geoscience Recruit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Houston, TX

The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2010.

I had an interview at AGU in San Francisco, in December 2009. That was a screening interview to see whether I would be selected for a short course (5 days) or an internship (summer).

I was selected to attend a short course in downtown Houston in March 2010, which consisted of 5 days, in a hotel, learning about the oil industry and "analyzing" old seismic records. On the final day, all students who attended the short course gave a poster presentation of research they had done.

Following that, I was selected for a third set of interviews, in north Houston, at Greenspoint, in August 2010. I figured, at that point, they were just figuring out where I would fit in and offer me a job following another set of "personality" type interactions with potential skills managers. An oral presentation was made at this point. I was told, from a colleague who works at XOM that the presentation needed to be technical. I used my thesis defense presentation and took some of the excessive detail out, because I figured "This isn't a thesis defense, right?" I was told, later on, that it wasn't detailed enough.

I was told I would hear from the hiring manager within two weeks. Any more than that and to call. I called three weeks later. I received an automated computer rejection. It said, verbatim:

"Dear [candidate],
Thank you for taking the time to apply for a job with ExxonMobil. We have reviewed your background and interests relative to the needs of hiring organizations. Unfortunately, we do not have a suitable opportunity for you at this time. We appreciate your interest in ExxonMobil and the opportunity you have given us to consider you for employment.

Sincerely,
ExxonMobil Recruitment"

Stay classy, ExxonMobil!

Interview Questions
  • Where do you think you would fit in at ExxonMobil?   View Answer