ExxonMobil Interview Questions in Houston, TX

Updated Jun 24, 2015

Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

No questions were asked. I was expected to do all the questioning. It was more like me interviewing the recruiters. The tech lead didn't show any kind of interest and left within the first 2 minutes.

I want to remind big companies that employees should also be impressed (its a two way road) this, if the want production to be efficient.

Instrument Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Took the Operations and Mechanical test. Passed. Got called in for first round of interviews. You do a scenario and background interview. During the scenario one they ask a lot of what ifs. This should be common sense if you've worked in an industrial environment. They just sit there and read questions out of a book. The background interview is where they go over education and work history. It's a little more personal, but still scripted. You get called back for a final interview. This one is with the 1st and 2nd line supervisors. This is the make or break. Basically you just sit in an office and talk with them. They are still reading from a packet, but they do ask questions off the cuff. If you get the job, you get a call back. If you don't, they mail you a letter. After you get the call back, you go in for your physical. Pretty standard stuff there.

Interview Questions

• You see two guys replacing a car window in the parking lot after work. They are breaking it with a hammer. What do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The starting salary is set.

Global Real Estate and Facilities (GREF) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Spring, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Several recruiters came to my colleges career fair. I got an in campus interview and got an email 13 days later saying I made it through to the next round and somebody would reach out to me. 19 days later somebody reached out to me scheduling a phone interview. This took place the same day and was really like a phone screening to make sure I didn't get this far by accident. I was told on the phone I made it through to a business line interview and somebody would reach out to me. 3 days later my big phone interview was scheduled. The phone interview was laid back but fairly difficult and lasted an hour. 6 days later I was called down to Houston and was flown down a week from then. They take VERY good care of their candidates, and I don't want to spoil the surprise.

The interview in Houston was long and intense, I won't lie, but all of the questions were valid. Everybody was very kind, especially Karen.

I got a call 45 minutes after I left the interview telling me I got the job and to expect an email shortly. The compensation is very fair.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No need to negotiate.

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was first invited to dinner on campus. I had another outstanding offer and they were very accommodating. Quickly did first round phone interview and then they sent me to Houston the next week for 2 more interviews. Interview Process was very structured and thorough. All interviews were very relaxed and conversational.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when your problem-solving technique was not working and how you changed it.
      Talk about a time when you had to use data analysis to solve a problem.
      Know your resume (as always) and have stories for everything.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiating as an intern is probably not your best bet.

SummerAccounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

I submitted the resume at college career center website. Then I got selected for the interview at the career center. They invited candidates to a pre-interview dinner, where I got chances to talk to interviewer before the actual interview. The interviewer constantly took notes while I talked. I did not get any chances to ask the interviewer any questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions about previous job experience. Team work experience. Problem with working in a team. How to solve the problem.   Answer Question

Pricing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX).

Interview

the process is stringent and laborious. I don't think there have to be 4 separate interviews to identify if a candidate is worthy of a job offer. Clearly the need for minorities is represented in the hiring practices.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX).

Interview

The process is quite intense. You are sent a testing link prior to interviewing. If you do not pass the initial test, you do not go any further in the process. The first interview is with Human Resources and a representative with the department for which you applied. If granted a second interview you will interview with your potential direct supervisor.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was about accountability. If you make a mistake are you accountable enough to recognize the mistake and correct the mistake.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was pleased with the initial offer. No negotiations needed.

Project Engineer/Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

I had a screening interview at a prior military hiring conference. The interview lasted 45 minutes starting with me telling about myself. The interviewer did most of the talking and me asking most of the questions. One month later they contacted me for a follow up interview. Another month later the follow up interview process started. First, I had dinner with two Project Engineers the evening before the interviews. On the actual interview day, I had breakfast with Project Engineers as they were explained the benefits to me. The remainder of the day was back to back interviews with several people. Since I already have work experience, the interview questions were geared more towards my past work history and background. My final interview ended with the interviewer telling me that an offer will be sent. Two weeks later, I received the official offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current company to work for us?   1 Answer
    • What salary are you looking for?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered more than what I was asking for.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

The hiring process was as follows 1. on site career fair interview 2. phone call interview3. on site. It is a typical behavioral interview. Exxon Mobil specifically looks for engineers with social and leadership skills with a high willingness to travel to generally anywhere. They will test you on all of these fronts.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral question: Name a time when you had to work with a difficult person. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Data Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

I was hired through a head hunter contact. I wasn't looking to work here. It just happened to be the right time, the right place, the right needs and skill sets.

Interview Questions

• There were none- straight forward old fashioned interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

The head hunter did all the negotiating. And did a great job. I didn't mention salary. When they asked me what I wanted, I, nicely, stated that I don't talk money, they need to discuss it with the head hunter who would be doing the negotiating. The more I got, the more commission they would get. We both benefited.