ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Long interview process. Very scenario based questions. Exxon Mobil likes to pick candidates with high academics and a strong experience background. First there is a phone screen, then an in person interview. Spend a day interviewing with a few different people. They usually take you out to lunch as well. Follow-up with a personal message to your interviewers.

Geoscience Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

After ExxonMobil flew me into Houston, I was introduced to the head of the skill area. He took me to several decision makers to speak one on one with each of them. I was provided with information on the type of work I would provide and asked if I had any questions.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On site interview at college. Consisted of one - on - one interview with recruiter. Standard interview questions focusing for a short time on resume. The interview then focused on school courses and began with the standard set of interview questions. There was a portion of the interview where the recruiter described some of the typical work and offered time to answer any specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used engineering skills to solve a difficult technical problem.   Answer Question

Maintenance Planner Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Huge interest in safety experience and past safety culture. Industry specific experience is a huge leg up. Military experience also goes a long way. As long as you keep it formal, there is nothing too challenging or structured about the interview. Will interview with several people. You get ask questions as well.

Interview Questions

• What ways can you remind people of safety standards without you directly having to tell them?   Answer Question

Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

No questions were asked. I was expected to do all the questioning. It was more like me interviewing the recruiters. The tech lead didn't show any kind of interest and left within the first 2 minutes. I want to remind big companies that employees should also be impressed (its a two way road) this, if the want production to be efficient.

Continuous Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ExxonMobil (Dallas, TX).

Interview

HR mgr described the interview process and schedule, plant tour with process manager (highly informative- guide was well versed, and explained complex processes simply), who stayed with me until delayed managers arrived for team interview. Behavior, skill determination, and situational questions were all used. Ample opportunity to answer my questions. Professionally done. Called me back before the deadline they had set.

Environmental Air Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Beaumont, TX).

Interview

Panel Interview process with a team of interviewers. Facility tour was an enjoyable experience. Lunch with several co-workers. When the manager walked in I could easily tell his mind was made up and he probably wouldn't hire me. I also didn't like the short walled cubicles with the manager's cubicle in the back so that he could watch everyone work.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Basically ran through my resume and asked a couple behavioral question like tell me about time when you had to convince a team that you were working with to do something

Instrument Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Took the Operations and Mechanical test. Passed. Got called in for first round of interviews. You do a scenario and background interview. During the scenario one they ask a lot of what ifs. This should be common sense if you've worked in an industrial environment. They just sit there and read questions out of a book. The background interview is where they go over education and work history. It's a little more personal, but still scripted. You get called back for a final interview. This one is with the 1st and 2nd line supervisors. This is the make or break. Basically you just sit in an office and talk with them. They are still reading from a packet, but they do ask questions off the cuff. If you get the job, you get a call back. If you don't, they mail you a letter. After you get the call back, you go in for your physical. Pretty standard stuff there.

Interview Questions

• You see two guys replacing a car window in the parking lot after work. They are breaking it with a hammer. What do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The starting salary is set.

Procurement Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I first met the recruiting team through a campus networking event. After establishing an initial rapport with the team, I was invited to participate in an on-campus interview. As far as I know, I was the only graduate student to receive an invite. The majority of candidates were undergraduates from the Supply Chain department. The first interview was entirely behavioral based. Lots of questions asking for examples of situations to assess my skills, character, and previous experiences . I found this first interview very straightforward and similar to other screening interviews. A few days later, I received an invitation to interview at the new ExxonMobil campus outside of Houston, TX. A driver picked me up from the airpot and took me to a nice hotel near the ExxonMobil campus. That night the company treated me to a very nice dinner. I was very pleased with the no-pressure conversational tone of the dinner, and I was truly able to enjoy myself. The next morning, I was taken to the new campus where interviews started promptly at 8AM. I met with a variety of employees for 45 minute to 1 hour sessions. These interviews focused primarily on assessing my fit with the company culture. It was clear that my credentials were not in question at this point. The interviews continued until late into the afternoon with a break for lunch. The overall atmosphere was very relaxed, informative, and conversational and unlike any other second round interviews I have ever experienced. I hesitate to characterize the interview process as easy, but compared to the high pressure atmosphere of other interviews, I found the process at ExxonMobil considerably more casual. I was thoroughly impressed with the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about ExxonMobil.   1 Answer