ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2015
Updated Jan 18, 2015

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

I gave my resume to an ExxonMobil recruiter that attend a job expo at my university. A few days later I got an email telling me that they wanted to interview me on my university's campus.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to sell out an idea to someone.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

All communications were via telephone and text message- no emails which was very strange. First Round interview was quite typical- basic qualifications and leadership. Second round contained 6 interviews, 3 technical and 3 leadership.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about specific components of a refining facility and how would they have to be changed depending on different weather events.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

campus interview was very good 1-on-1. done by former graduates of same university. results really depend on how you hit it off with interviewer. min GPA requirements too.

Interview Questions
    • what are your weaknesses, where do you see yourself in 5years, why choose exxonmobil and the petrochemical industry????????????   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Online application and online test followed by phone interview (competency based). The interview was relaxing and I really enjoyed it. I passed my phone interview but did not get notification for face to face final stage interview due to the fully filled internship positions.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions
    • An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question

Process Technician Interview

It appeared that they interviewed a few hundred people for the position. The interview was about 2 hours. A lot of the questions were similar and dealt with how would you deal with this.

Interview Questions
    • If you absolutely had to meet a deadline, but there was no way the job could be done safely in the amount of time allotted, how would you hand it?   Answer Question

Tech Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

The interview took place in Beaumont @ 630am -750am. The interview panel consisted of two ExxonMobil Supervisors, each responsible for a section, past work experience and behavioral. Overall felt really good throughout the process, quick/direct/detailed responses, but you could say that if not prepared or if you have not practiced the questions could be difficult.

Summer Interview

I got the interview through my current spupervisor who refered me to the recruiter. Only faced the initial phone interview by the team leader. Phone interview lasted for about 45 mins

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

The first part of the interview process was with the on campus recruiter. The questions were just standard behavioral questions and some time was spent on the recruiter talking about the different companies/departments that ExxonMobil had and then asked which one you would prefer.

The second part of the interview process came a few weeks later. This was with a hiring manager from a specific company/department looking to actually hire me (the intern). The questions made me go into great detail about my resume and had a lot of questions regarding personal career choices and goals.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was "What is your career goal and how would working at ExxonMobil help you achieve that goal?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interviewed with several different people during one day. Each interview was approx 45 minutes. They took all the candidates who were also interviewing to lunch. Nothing was too difficult. I was just myself and answered each question honestly. Some scenario questions.

Interview Questions
    • How did I go against something someone who was my superior told me to do.   View Answer