ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

No questions were asked. I was expected to do all the questioning. It was more like me interviewing the recruiters. The tech lead didn't show any kind of interest and left within the first 2 minutes.

I want to remind big companies that employees should also be impressed (its a two way road) this, if the want production to be efficient.

Continuous Improvement Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ExxonMobil (Dallas, TX).

Interview

HR mgr described the interview process and schedule, plant tour with process manager (highly informative- guide was well versed, and explained complex processes simply), who stayed with me until delayed managers arrived for team interview. Behavior, skill determination, and situational questions were all used. Ample opportunity to answer my questions. Professionally done. Called me back before the deadline they had set.

Environmental Air Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Beaumont, TX).

Interview

Panel Interview process with a team of interviewers. Facility tour was an enjoyable experience. Lunch with several co-workers. When the manager walked in I could easily tell his mind was made up and he probably wouldn't hire me. I also didn't like the short walled cubicles with the manager's cubicle in the back so that he could watch everyone work.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Basically ran through my resume and asked a couple behavioral question like tell me about time when you had to convince a team that you were working with to do something

Instrument Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Took the Operations and Mechanical test. Passed. Got called in for first round of interviews. You do a scenario and background interview. During the scenario one they ask a lot of what ifs. This should be common sense if you've worked in an industrial environment. They just sit there and read questions out of a book. The background interview is where they go over education and work history. It's a little more personal, but still scripted. You get called back for a final interview. This one is with the 1st and 2nd line supervisors. This is the make or break. Basically you just sit in an office and talk with them. They are still reading from a packet, but they do ask questions off the cuff. If you get the job, you get a call back. If you don't, they mail you a letter. After you get the call back, you go in for your physical. Pretty standard stuff there.

Interview Questions

• You see two guys replacing a car window in the parking lot after work. They are breaking it with a hammer. What do you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The starting salary is set.

Procurement Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I first met the recruiting team through a campus networking event. After establishing an initial rapport with the team, I was invited to participate in an on-campus interview. As far as I know, I was the only graduate student to receive an invite. The majority of candidates were undergraduates from the Supply Chain department. The first interview was entirely behavioral based. Lots of questions asking for examples of situations to assess my skills, character, and previous experiences . I found this first interview very straightforward and similar to other screening interviews. A few days later, I received an invitation to interview at the new ExxonMobil campus outside of Houston, TX.

A driver picked me up from the airpot and took me to a nice hotel near the ExxonMobil campus. That night the company treated me to a very nice dinner. I was very pleased with the no-pressure conversational tone of the dinner, and I was truly able to enjoy myself. The next morning, I was taken to the new campus where interviews started promptly at 8AM. I met with a variety of employees for 45 minute to 1 hour sessions. These interviews focused primarily on assessing my fit with the company culture. It was clear that my credentials were not in question at this point. The interviews continued until late into the afternoon with a break for lunch. The overall atmosphere was very relaxed, informative, and conversational and unlike any other second round interviews I have ever experienced. I hesitate to characterize the interview process as easy, but compared to the high pressure atmosphere of other interviews, I found the process at ExxonMobil considerably more casual. I was thoroughly impressed with the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about ExxonMobil.   1 Answer

Assistant Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

Apprenticeship program. Applied online sometime late 2014 and scheduled a testing date. Took the test in January or early February with at least 100-200 people and a couple weeks after received an email to set up interview date.
    Interview was 2 parts, each with 2 interviewers in the room. Diverse group of interviewers. There were many interviews going on, & it made me feel like I was auditioning for a tv show or something. The interviewers were kind and surprisingly down to earth, I was very nervous but they made me reasonably comfortable.
    The first part was mainly "about me" questions: job history, education, and how have I've handled situations in the past. Second part was situational questions with many different scenarios. "How would you handle..." etc type questions.

The entire process has been the longest I have waited to start a new job, but well worth it. Still waiting to start at the end of July. Very thankful!

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite thing about school? What is your least favorite thing?   1 Answer

Geoscience Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

The interview process was casual and fair. Met with a Senior Geologist on a college campus for a 30 minute interview. The process is extremely competitive for entry level geologists, but you have a fighting chance if you have interesting research experience that you are passionate about.

Interview Questions

• What were some disfunctional groups that you have been a part of? What is your dream job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Got the interview through campus recruiting. There was an informational dinner/meet-and-greet the night before interview. Hour long on-campus interview with two interviewers from the controllers department. Both were very nice and seemed genuinely happy to be there. All behavioral questions, .

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a group project. What kind of role did you play?   Answer Question

Machinery Engineer Interview

Interview

A whole day of four total one on one behavioral questioned interviews. I recommend coming up with different answers for each question because you will hear the same ones throughout the day. The day also consists of a plant tour and lunch. You also get to meet with Human Resources and learn about all the benefits and other packages involved with their company.