ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Research Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

The interview began with a phone interview, then progressed to a on-site interview with several one-on-one meetings to assess personality fit, along with a technical presentation. The interview process was largely driven by the interviewee asking questions about the company. The interviewers seemed to place a lot of emphasis on company fit rather than simply technical skill. There were a lot of behavioral type questions, and the employees all seemed to enjoy working with the company.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you handled conflict with colleagues   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

- I got my phone interview scheduled approximately 2 weeks after my initial job application submitted - I got invited for on-site interview approximately 1 week after the phone interview - I received an offer approximately 2 months after the on-site interview

Interview Questions

• - share some examples of most challenging problems you have solved in your previous jobs - share my biggest weakness - share any conflicts occured in the previous team work and how I resolved it   Answer Question
    • - share some examples of most challenging problems you have solved in your previous jobs - share my biggest weakness - share any conflicts occured in the previous team work and how I resolved it   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Interviewed with school alumni which was basic behavioral interview questions for engineers and questions about resume. This was followed by an interview by an engineer at the site which was more technical. Good experience overall.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY).

Interview

First interview was through campus recruiting. Then had a business line interview over the phone and a third interview with an employee in the department also over the phone. You have to have strong grades, exhibit leadership qualities, and be confident in yourself. Interviews are more behavioral based, and they're logic is that they'll teach you the ExxonMobil ways of accomplishing your tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why ExxonMobil?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were faced with adversity on a team, and how you mitigated that problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As an intern, negotiating wouldn't have been smart. I was thankful for the opportunity, and the pay leaves little more to be desired.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On site interview at college. Consisted of one - on - one interview with recruiter. Standard interview questions focusing for a short time on resume. The interview then focused on school courses and began with the standard set of interview questions. There was a portion of the interview where the recruiter described some of the typical work and offered time to answer any specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used engineering skills to solve a difficult technical problem.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Long interview process. Very scenario based questions. Exxon Mobil likes to pick candidates with high academics and a strong experience background. First there is a phone screen, then an in person interview. Spend a day interviewing with a few different people. They usually take you out to lunch as well. Follow-up with a personal message to your interviewers.

Geoscience Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

After ExxonMobil flew me into Houston, I was introduced to the head of the skill area. He took me to several decision makers to speak one on one with each of them. I was provided with information on the type of work I would provide and asked if I had any questions.

Maintenance Planner Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Huge interest in safety experience and past safety culture. Industry specific experience is a huge leg up. Military experience also goes a long way. As long as you keep it formal, there is nothing too challenging or structured about the interview. Will interview with several people. You get ask questions as well.

Interview Questions

• What ways can you remind people of safety standards without you directly having to tell them?   Answer Question

Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Pensacola, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

Pretty basic interview. They probably interviewed at least twenty people for the position, but it seemed they already had a buddy in mind for the job and interviewed other people just so it didn't look obvious. This is a company where you need to know someone to have a shot.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you were faced with a moral issue at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baytown, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

No questions were asked. I was expected to do all the questioning. It was more like me interviewing the recruiters. The tech lead didn't show any kind of interest and left within the first 2 minutes. I want to remind big companies that employees should also be impressed (its a two way road) this, if the want production to be efficient.