ExxonMobil Geoscience Intern Interview Questions

3.5

Geoscience Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

There was one interview only. The structure was half discussion about items on my resume and half STAR questions. The interviewer wrote down almost every response I had, and also took notes about my attire, smiling, general disposition. He wrote almost 2 pages of notes in the hour session. He gave me a combination of specific situation questions and open-ended questions that allowed me to talk about any achievement or experience I had in mind. Some people warned me that my particular interviewer was very mechanical or impersonal, but I felt he was very professional and was personal enough. I really enjoyed speaking with him.

Interview Questions

• After a set of specific questions, he asked: "Ok now while I write down some notes, I'd like to come up with a few items that we may have missed. Anything at all you want to mention."   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation for the internship offer.

Geoscience Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

I lobbied my university heavily to be selected for the interview. I have read on here that the interview consist mostly of competency based questions. When I met with the Exxon geologist who did the interview I found out that the entire selection process is based on your ability to show what research you have done so far and your progress toward your graduate degree. This man has been the main recruiter for Exxon US for almost 8 years and 60% of the geoscientists in the company were hired by him. He was very nice and informative but unless you are very bright and accomplished you don't stand much of a chance. Approximately 10% of those interviewed are considered for a summer internship. Of those interns 60% are offered positions. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Explain your research and give me a brief description of how you have moved your research has moved forward in the past 12 months.   1 Answer