ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

I had several telephone interviews and once I passed those interviews I was called into their main office. Once at their office I was given a 1-on-1 interview first with an HR person and then with a hiring manager. About a month later I was contacted and I was brought in for a Group/Panel Interview and I was grilled by three different people.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the functionality of a fiber channel connection in a storage area network and name three SAN vendors that you have developed a business relationship with.   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John, NB (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Saint John, NB (Canada)) in January 2010.

Interview

1 interview that lasted for 3 hours. All the questions are behavioral based questions like tell me one time when you had to make a risky decision and how it turned out...

Interview Questions

• behavioral typed questions.. tell me how you dealt with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Applied online through website, passed the psychometric tests and then was emailed with notification of telephone interview, whole process took about 3 weeks or so. Results were also very quick, only about 2 days after.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me a time when you analysed numerical data to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2013.

Interview

Dropped my resume off at our campus career fair. Received a call and scheduled an on campus interview with one of their recruiters. Basic behavioral interview that lasted approximately one hour. The majority of the interview was spend discussing my prior internships, extra curricular activities, and research. Received a call about a week later and scheduled an on site interview for the following week. The on site interview included five interviews: two behavioral with supervisors, one technical with a technical expert, one with HR, and one with an executive. The whole day ran from about 7-2 including lunch with new hires and breakfast with a host. Received an offer two days later. The whole process took about 3 weeks from initial interview to offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Explain periods of unemployment or lack of involvement in organizations. What were you doing during that time?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate because compensation was far superior to competition.

Petroleum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

Difficult, at times a little disengaging,definitely not worth making an effort for as these questions test intuitionand critical thinking which is most people struggle as millenials in general have no idea how to think critically. final interview can be a bit intense as you come so close to getting a job offer

Interview Questions

• How many tennis balls could you fit in wimbledon   2 Answers

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY).

Interview

First interview was through campus recruiting. Then had a business line interview over the phone and a third interview with an employee in the department also over the phone. You have to have strong grades, exhibit leadership qualities, and be confident in yourself. Interviews are more behavioral based, and they're logic is that they'll teach you the ExxonMobil ways of accomplishing your tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why ExxonMobil?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were faced with adversity on a team, and how you mitigated that problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As an intern, negotiating wouldn't have been smart. I was thankful for the opportunity, and the pay leaves little more to be desired.

Global Real Estate and Facilities (GREF) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Spring, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Several recruiters came to my colleges career fair. I got an in campus interview and got an email 13 days later saying I made it through to the next round and somebody would reach out to me. 19 days later somebody reached out to me scheduling a phone interview. This took place the same day and was really like a phone screening to make sure I didn't get this far by accident. I was told on the phone I made it through to a business line interview and somebody would reach out to me. 3 days later my big phone interview was scheduled. The phone interview was laid back but fairly difficult and lasted an hour. 6 days later I was called down to Houston and was flown down a week from then. They take VERY good care of their candidates, and I don't want to spoil the surprise. The interview in Houston was long and intense, I won't lie, but all of the questions were valid. Everybody was very kind, especially Karen. I got a call 45 minutes after I left the interview telling me I got the job and to expect an email shortly. The compensation is very fair.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No need to negotiate.

GREF Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Standard competency interview but strongly directed towards work experience rather than academic or extra curricular experiences. Frustrating to be told that they didn't want to hear any more of one aspect of my experience which I felt was more relevant to the question asked. I guess looking for a very specific type of candidate

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with being told what to do by authority figures?   Answer Question

Shift Chemist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2015.

Interview

First was a 1 hour of a safety discussion about some possible risks seen in a lab. This was followed by a tour through the various parts of the lab with a focus on the equipment that the employee would be using. followed by an hour long competency interview.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

On site interview at college. Consisted of one - on - one interview with recruiter. Standard interview questions focusing for a short time on resume. The interview then focused on school courses and began with the standard set of interview questions. There was a portion of the interview where the recruiter described some of the typical work and offered time to answer any specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used engineering skills to solve a difficult technical problem.   Answer Question