ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2009.

I had several telephone interviews and once I passed those interviews I was called into their main office. Once at their office I was given a 1-on-1 interview first with an HR person and then with a hiring manager. About a month later I was contacted and I was brought in for a Group/Panel Interview and I was grilled by three different people.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the functionality of a fiber channel connection in a storage area network and name three SAN vendors that you have developed a business relationship with.   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John, NB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John, NB (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2010.

1 interview that lasted for 3 hours. All the questions are behavioral based questions like tell me one time when you had to make a risky decision and how it turned out...

Interview Questions
    • behavioral typed questions.. tell me how you dealt with a difficult co-worker   Answer Question

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Dropped my resume off at our campus career fair. Received a call and scheduled an on campus interview with one of their recruiters. Basic behavioral interview that lasted approximately one hour. The majority of the interview was spend discussing my prior internships, extra curricular activities, and research. Received a call about a week later and scheduled an on site interview for the following week. The on site interview included five interviews: two behavioral with supervisors, one technical with a technical expert, one with HR, and one with an executive. The whole day ran from about 7-2 including lunch with new hires and breakfast with a host. Received an offer two days later. The whole process took about 3 weeks from initial interview to offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Explain periods of unemployment or lack of involvement in organizations. What were you doing during that time?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate because compensation was far superior to competition.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2013.

I went through a recruiter at a hiring conference. I was interviewing for 3 potential positions. Based on my preferences of big/small city, office/refinery, travel, etc... That narrowed down what specific position they would interview for. All three interviewers were polite/professional, and got right to the point.

I was not selected for an on site follow on interview.

They were primarily looking for leadership/project management.

They asked about my strengths, I said I was analytical and they asked for an example where I applied it.

Interview Questions
    • What's your most significant leadership accomplishment?   Answer Question

Entry Level Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Had a first round interview on campus. Interviewed at a plant about 2.5 weeks later. Had four interviews at the plant, including one technical interview.

Told me they'd call me back in two weeks to let me know either way. Never heard back. Had to contact my on-campus interviewer to see where I stood. Never sent me my reimbursement back.

Interview Questions
    • During the technical interview, my programming proficiency was tested. Interviewer handed me a piece of white paper and told me to write a program that did ________.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

If you interview at campus you get offer to visit and get hosted by relatively new employee. Then you sen he day doing 3-4 interviews. These will typically be by one second line supervisor, a senior technical, department head, and finally business manager. If you do great you can get a spot offer.

Interview Questions
    • During these site visits the managers get to ask whatever they want. Some keep it to conversation and some may choose to do a situational interview.   Answer Question
    As a new hire not sure how much negotiation one will really do.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2013.

Exxon Mobil was recruiting at my university; applied on the university's job board and got called back for an interview a week later. Business formal attire, did not get the position. All behavioral; this interview is meant to test you as a person

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite class so far? What is your least favorite and why?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

The process is quite intense. You are sent a testing link prior to interviewing. If you do not pass the initial test, you do not go any further in the process. The first interview is with Human Resources and a representative with the department for which you applied. If granted a second interview you will interview with your potential direct supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was about accountability. If you make a mistake are you accountable enough to recognize the mistake and correct the mistake.   View Answer
    I was pleased with the initial offer. No negotiations needed.

Network Infrastrue Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

On campus recruiting. We filled out paperwork both on our campus webpage as well as the exxonmobil web page. We were selected for on campus interview. Made it through round one interviews, and continued onto round two. After that, 3 people were selected out of my entire university for an internship. The year I applied there were 58,809 students.

Procurement Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil.

Gave some preliminary tests and had a preliminary interview with recruiting agency.Actual interview with departament manager was long of almost 2 hrs, being asked from the typical questions to the more specific regarding certain situations trying to demonstrate skills and knowledge.Second interview with GM, was shorter and based on previous discussion.

Negotations of salary package was held afterwards based on my input on expected pay.