ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2014.

online application - infinity series graduate and managerial numerical reasoning test - telephone interview - face to face interview
    test was very standard.
    telephone interview 20mins long
    questions are:
    all standard competency questions:
    why apply to exxon,
    why the scheme,
    biggest achievement,
    tell me a time when you overcame a challenge

follow-up question for each question.
    interviewed by a HR, so do not talk about anything too technical.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in December 2014.

Very lengthy and extensive interview process. At my school, only a few students received an on-campus interview. This was a 1:1 behavioral interview. About 7 weeks later, I got a call to schedule a 2nd round phone interview. A week after the 2nd round, I was invited to the 3rd round on-site interview at the refinery. The company flew me out, and the first night was an informal dinner with exxonmobil engineers. This is a time for you to get to know the people you'll possibly be working with. And it's also a time to show them that you'd be a great person to be around. The next day was the real deal - I was onsite at the refinery for about 6 hours, where I went through 3 interviews, a refinery tour, and a lunch with a few other engineers. Of the 3 interviews, 1 was technical, 1 was on soft skills, and the last was behavioral. Although the on-site interview was lengthy, it's important to keep your interview hat on the entire time. A week after my onsite, I was offered a position.

Some tips for the application process, know EXACTLY whether you want to work downstream or upstream. And know EXACTLY whether you want to pursue the managerial or technical track. The Exxonmobil reps want to be sure you know exactly what you are interested in, and be sure to stick with it throughout the entire interview process. They don't want someone who's unsure of what they want to do.

Also, be personable. Everyone I met throughout my interviews was very smart but also personable. It helps to be very articulate as well, because they like good communicators.

And be sure to ask as many questions as you can because it'll show a genuine interest. Ask questions that are intelligent and job specific.

Interview Questions
    • An ethical situation that you faced? Managerial or technical? What class did you dislike the most?   Answer Question

Financial Controller Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

There were two rounds.

The first round was an on campus interview. The conversation was very informative and casual. Most of the 45 minutes involved the interviewer providing me in depth information about the job and what would potentially be expected of me, should I get hired for the summer. The interview was purely behavioral.

The second and final round was an on-site interview. They flew us out to Houston, had us meet with employees throughout, in a social setting, and had two official interviews at their headquarters. Again, the conversation was very casual and informational. They asked some questions about my background that were easy to answer. I was open and honest with them, with regards to my experiences and my personal ambitions.

Interview Questions
    I personally didn't negotiate because their offer was astoundingly generous; given my experience.

Intern - Monthly Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2014.

First, ExxonMobil sent campus recruiters to conduct on-campus interviews. My interview for the financial controller's group was very straightforward: almost exclusively behavioral questions ("provide an example of a time during which you have demonstrated a capacity to lead," etc.) and nothing too far out of the ordinary. Once I got the word that I had passed on to their Superday, they flew me down (at their expense) to Houston where I interviewed in the Greenspoint office. This interview was much more informal, and seemed to be more of an interview for determining "fit" (i.e. very conversational in nature). Once done, I was driven back to the airport, and flown home (once again, at their expense). The environment at the Superday was neither tense nor hostile; although there was a group of about 5-7 us interviewing for the same positions, it was very relaxed and certainly never seemed as though we were competing "against each other," so to speak.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all of the behavioral questions had to do with leadership and demonstrating an ability to lead. I would advise preparing multiple answers to scenarios that involve some form of leadership.   Answer Question

Process Technician Interview

It appeared that they interviewed a few hundred people for the position. The interview was about 2 hours. A lot of the questions were similar and dealt with how would you deal with this.

Interview Questions
    • If you absolutely had to meet a deadline, but there was no way the job could be done safely in the amount of time allotted, how would you hand it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil.

I applied on-line and within 2 days an on-line numerical test was sent to me. I completed the test and after 2 weeks I got an invitation for a telephone interview. I did the telephone interview but haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest decision you had to make?   View Answer

Geologist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

The interview was relaxed which was nice and fairily technical. Most of the questions were about my previous experiences. One STAR question.

I was told I would hear back within a month. It's been 3 months and I still haven't heard back.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think the interviewer actually knew what a STAR question is. I think the interview just had to ask that.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2014.

After visiting the refinery to get to know the business I send a motivation letter. One day later I was called to plan my first interview. Unfortunately I was not picked for a second interview, because they didn’t saw me working in this industry.

Interview Questions
    • Technical case was really basic. Motivation for the job should be really clear!   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I got the interview through my current spupervisor who refered me to the recruiter. Only faced the initial phone interview by the team leader. Phone interview lasted for about 45 mins

Graduate Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fawley, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2014.

Interview was very intense with a lot of questions. All competency based but some were very quirky I certainly hadn't answered them before. Make sure you know the ins and outs of your examples and can spin them. Was asked about 8 questions so have plenty in the bank! 2 assessors so think about who to address.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a time where you've been under pressure to change a Co the if action but you persevered regardless.   Answer Question