ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2014.

Interview

After an info session on campus, students were invited to drop their resumes. A selection of students were extended interviews which also happened on campus. There were 5 recruiters--two were present in the actual interview. One asked the questions and only listened, the other was the designated note taker. The other three recruiters sat in a separate room with snacks and each other, chatting with whoever was going to interview next. They made the students feel very comfortable and in no way acted as if they were judging you before you entered the interview. I do think they probably were trying to get a sense of your personality though. Be yourself and take the opportunity to get comfortable with them! The two recruiters interviewing potential candidates would switch out after a certain number of interviews. They were on campus for I believe two days doing interviews, and got back pretty quickly with offers for internships.

Environmental Project Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jakarta (Indonesia)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Jakarta (Indonesia)) in April 2011.

Interview

The entire interview process conducted within 15 days are as follow: firstly I was contacted by phone when in Semarang and followed by group/panel interview when visiting Jakarta. The interviewers was asking much about my daily current job activities.

Interview Questions

• The way to be a solid team player and to solve the specific concerns   1 Answer

Vacation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (South Melbourne (Australia)) in August 2015.

Interview

There were no online testing, got a technical interview straight away. It was with two engineers that has been working for ExxonMobil for over 5 years. The lady at the recruiting team was very nice. Overall positive experience. I actually like this way because it is hard to accept if i am rejected just because of a test

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Went to the Society of Women Engineers Conference where I spoke to one of the recruiters during the career fair. Exxon looks for 3 things: previous internship experience, gpa 3.7 and higher, and a unique leadership experience (club president, created a program). once they see those three on your resume and you make a good first impression your chances on getting and interview are higher. I was offered an interview on the spot. Then the interviewer told me I would be notified a week to two weeks later, which I was. I was called by HR for an on phone interview. After just a couple questions I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you worked with a team and you resolved a problem. What are your best qualities   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Houston, TX).

Interview

- I got my phone interview scheduled approximately 2 weeks after my initial job application submitted - I got invited for on-site interview approximately 1 week after the phone interview - I received an offer approximately 2 months after the on-site interview

Interview Questions

• - share some examples of most challenging problems you have solved in your previous jobs - share my biggest weakness - share any conflicts occured in the previous team work and how I resolved it   Answer Question
    • - share some examples of most challenging problems you have solved in your previous jobs - share my biggest weakness - share any conflicts occured in the previous team work and how I resolved it   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2014.

Interview

Use the STAR process. You must answer using this method. S-Situation T- don't remember what this one stood for A-how you achieved or overcame the obstacle R-Result. There was two people. One asking the questions and one writing down everything you said. Asked a lot of questions to see your problem solving skills. Only hire engineers and MBA students.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you did not agree with someone above you (higher authority).   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

We went into a small office-sat down and the employer asked me about 6-7 questions and the interview was over. The employer also asked me if I knew how to balance the drawer at the end of my shift and if I ever can up short. The interview was comfortable and simple. The employer was friendly and easy going.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have handling cash?   1 Answer

Intern - Monthly Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2015.

Interview

I received a phone call from the manager telling me that I was under consideration for this summer internship opportunity. We did the interview through the phone and I was offered the internship through the phone the same day.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for ExxonMobil?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in April 2014.

Interview

Campus interview, followed by a phone interview. Very relaxed atmosphere. I enjoyed talking with the recruiter. The questions were fair and insightful. They also gave us plenty of time to answer questions. They also listened and cared about answers rather than looking for buzz words or such. Great experience.

Interview Questions

• STAR Method. Name one time where you had conflict working with peers? How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (New York, NY).

Interview

First interview was through campus recruiting. Then had a business line interview over the phone and a third interview with an employee in the department also over the phone. You have to have strong grades, exhibit leadership qualities, and be confident in yourself. Interviews are more behavioral based, and they're logic is that they'll teach you the ExxonMobil ways of accomplishing your tasks.

Interview Questions

• Why ExxonMobil?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were faced with adversity on a team, and how you mitigated that problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

As an intern, negotiating wouldn't have been smart. I was thankful for the opportunity, and the pay leaves little more to be desired.