ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2008.

very nice interviewers. very polite. Did not ask any difficult questions. Very calm. Easy to talk to. Great handshake. Welcoming. Interview is one on one style. No tricks. No gimmicks. The candidates must be ready to talk about anything. Try to be very relaxed and very personable.

not really

Engineer Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2008.

Initial communication was with a recruiter via e-mail. After a phone interview, they offered to bring me down for an on-site. Accommodations were excellent.

The on-site interview process was very organized. My host was friendly, open with information, and never seemed to harried to accompany me from interviewer to interviewer.

Although I was interviewing for a specific department, each interviewer was from a different discipline in the company. They all took the time to explain their roles and gauge my interest.

None of the questions posed were terribly difficult or tricky. The interviews focused on whether or not I could perform the job with no pandering to tricky questions like "What is your greatest weakness?" If you have an excellent resume, then you can expect to do well if you can relate your experience to their needs, and they will expect you to do so.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was not possible; however, the offer was very good and the ancillary benefits of working for this company are tremendous.

Geoscientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2007.

The interview process consisted of two parts. One on one brief interview just to get acquainted to each other with further presentation in front of several decision-making persons.
    The first part was pretty stress free, more like informal one I'd say. However, the second part was a tough one. Because I have had to give a detailed overview of my undergraduate degree research project and answer some tricky question. But I passed the test successfully.

Interview Questions
    I did not got myself involved in any negotiations, since the offer was very attractive to me.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2009.

Exxon got my resume through a job fair, the first round of interview was on campus the next day. It was a mix of both technical skills and personality fit. I next got a call after about 2 months with an invitation for an onsite interview. The interview day was presentation followed by 1:1 interviews. Work culture seemed relaxed, everyone I met had a separate room for an office! The technical interview was a breeze but the work did not seem exciting, this probably came across.

Exploration Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

2 rounds of panel interivews. 1st round, interviewed by HR and one of the Controller. Last for 30 minutes. Ask for your background, why exxonmobil, why this role, what is your strengh and weakness, sort of behaviour interview. 2nd round, interviewed by another controller and your future supervisor, get into details of your prev. job experience and receivved some challenging questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation when you have conflict with people in your work and how you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question
    My job agent negotiate for me, basically, not much space for negotiation as they considered their pay above average in the industry. You could negotiate your start day, that's it.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in April 2009.

OK

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2009.

I had several telephone interviews and once I passed those interviews I was called into their main office. Once at their office I was given a 1-on-1 interview first with an HR person and then with a hiring manager. About a month later I was contacted and I was brought in for a Group/Panel Interview and I was grilled by three different people.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe the functionality of a fiber channel connection in a storage area network and name three SAN vendors that you have developed a business relationship with.   Answer Question

Machinist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2009.

The interview was ok. Lots of useless talk. Some pretty hard questions about technical aspects of the job. Two people interviewed me. Both were previously in the trade I was applying for. Fairly easy interview as long as you're relaxed and know you're stuff. They seem like they're there to spot the liars and fakes.

Construction Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2008.

The recruiters called me two weeks before the college career fair and told me to apply online. Then they called me and gave me a personal interview 2 days prior to the career fair. After a week I received an email notifying me that I was selected for a second round of interviews. Approximately after 2 weeks I received a phone call for another interview. That interview was approximately 1 hour long and it was about my interests, my experiences, and my short and long term goals. Then after two more weeks I received a second call for another interview. This one lasted approximately 30 mins. It was a more informal one, and it was to confirm my interests and to provide me insight about the company. Then after a week and a half I received a call providing me the final offer. As an advice I can say that you should not be impatient. Always trust in yourself and try to convinces the interviewer with facts. Another thing is to read about the company before they interview you, in that way you know what to talk and ask.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something that is no your resume that will convince me of hiring you.   View Answer
    The offer was too good to negotiate anything. An advice may be to be proud of what you studied and put yourself a price that you consider is your value after all the years studying and gaining experiences. With those facts you can negotiate offers and benefits.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2009.

Basic behavioral interview . on campus