ExxonMobil Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014

2.9

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2007.

Hiring Process out of university rather normal. Two rounds of interviews ... mostly behavioral questions. Questions range from anything to interest. Be prepared to discuss some oil business intelligently also helped very much.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2008.

I got the interview through university career fair. First round was at my university 1:1 with a recruiter. Questions asked was all behavioral and very fair and straight forward. They will gauge your interest and recommend you for a specific group for a final round. Final round is on site. They will fly you in the night before and bring a "buddy" that will host you while you are on site. Hotel they put you in is top notch, and so is the dinner the night before. Day of interview involves multiple 1:1 interviews with managers in the group. Again, all questions are behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time where you had to convince a group of your idea and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at ExxonMobil in July 2008.

Simple behavior based interview. 3 people, each tasked to ascertain one component. Leadership, Analytical Skills, and Drive/Flexibility. Have multiple examples in mind for each of the above. Internet research will provide loads of behavior based interview example questions. Try to mention safety. Focus on your contribution. Use the situation, issues, action model.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you showed leaderhip when a project had gone wrong.   Answer Question
    Do not negotiate. Any concessions are superficial and will only be eroded by the normal system. You are better off negotiating on start date or preferred first assignment content. Seek early international exposure, even if you are doing it from Houston. Ensure that you are prepared to commit lots of time and effort in first year - this is critical to long term success in the company. Good people get good jobs get good reviews, and the cycle continues.

Exploration Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

2 rounds of panel interivews. 1st round, interviewed by HR and one of the Controller. Last for 30 minutes. Ask for your background, why exxonmobil, why this role, what is your strengh and weakness, sort of behaviour interview. 2nd round, interviewed by another controller and your future supervisor, get into details of your prev. job experience and receivved some challenging questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a situation when you have conflict with people in your work and how you resolve the conflict.   Answer Question
    My job agent negotiate for me, basically, not much space for negotiation as they considered their pay above average in the industry. You could negotiate your start day, that's it.

Corporate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ExxonMobil in August 2008.

The interview process was great from beginning to end. I was picked up at the airport in a black town car with tinted windows and taken to a nice hotel. There was a casual group dinner the evening before, and the food was delicious. Upon arriving for the interview, I was assigned an escort who took me from interview to interview. The interview process was difficult, however it was enjoyable and I was treated with respect throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • There were many questions around strategic thinking. Be prepared to provide multiple examples of your strategic thinking capabilities   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baytown, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baytown, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at ExxonMobil in September 2008.

I was hired from an on-campus job fair. The interview included a lot of hypothetical "what would you do" type questions. I was given a brief overview of the company and asked whether or not I would rather work in Upstream or Downstream. Even though I said I would rather work in Upstream they were clearly only recruiting for Downstream. If you are looking for a specific position you should VERY EXPLICITLY state it.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you were the on a team and your group members were not contributing. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with problems that seem like there are no solutions at first?   Answer Question
    I did not choose to negotiate.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2008.

very nice interviewers. very polite. Did not ask any difficult questions. Very calm. Easy to talk to. Great handshake. Welcoming. Interview is one on one style. No tricks. No gimmicks. The candidates must be ready to talk about anything. Try to be very relaxed and very personable.

not really

Construction Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in October 2008.

The recruiters called me two weeks before the college career fair and told me to apply online. Then they called me and gave me a personal interview 2 days prior to the career fair. After a week I received an email notifying me that I was selected for a second round of interviews. Approximately after 2 weeks I received a phone call for another interview. That interview was approximately 1 hour long and it was about my interests, my experiences, and my short and long term goals. Then after two more weeks I received a second call for another interview. This one lasted approximately 30 mins. It was a more informal one, and it was to confirm my interests and to provide me insight about the company. Then after a week and a half I received a call providing me the final offer. As an advice I can say that you should not be impatient. Always trust in yourself and try to convinces the interviewer with facts. Another thing is to read about the company before they interview you, in that way you know what to talk and ask.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something that is no your resume that will convince me of hiring you.   View Answer
    The offer was too good to negotiate anything. An advice may be to be proud of what you studied and put yourself a price that you consider is your value after all the years studying and gaining experiences. With those facts you can negotiate offers and benefits.

Engineer Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2008.

Initial communication was with a recruiter via e-mail. After a phone interview, they offered to bring me down for an on-site. Accommodations were excellent.

The on-site interview process was very organized. My host was friendly, open with information, and never seemed to harried to accompany me from interviewer to interviewer.

Although I was interviewing for a specific department, each interviewer was from a different discipline in the company. They all took the time to explain their roles and gauge my interest.

None of the questions posed were terribly difficult or tricky. The interviews focused on whether or not I could perform the job with no pandering to tricky questions like "What is your greatest weakness?" If you have an excellent resume, then you can expect to do well if you can relate your experience to their needs, and they will expect you to do so.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was not possible; however, the offer was very good and the ancillary benefits of working for this company are tremendous.

Procurement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ExxonMobil in November 2008.

At first, the interview process was very similar to most employers. I went to the career fair gave my resume and later they contacted me to interview on campus. The interview on campus was normalt. They asked questions about my career goals and previous leadership experience. Then I was invited to go to Houston to interview for the position. Well, once I arrived, the whole interview process other than a couple of questions was me asking questions. They evaluated me based on how well I asked questions.

Interview Questions

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!